PDA

View Full Version : To turn the other cheek

jugent
07-17-2005, 02:09 AM
Some years ago, on the early forgotten battles era, I flew on Virtual Eastern Front for OKL.
The normal a/c was the Me-109 F2.

I feared the I-16 and wrote some threads where I had doubts that the I-16 was soo good.

The answers I got was like "The I-16 is correct modelled"
I flew the I-16 myself and enjoyed it as low-level fighter, but it was no challange.

Some days ago I met the I-16 again and this time I flew the KI-43 and found that the I-16 wasnt the plane it used to be.
It was no match to take them down with two 7,9mm mg.

Is the I-16 undermodelled in PF 4.01?

jugent
07-17-2005, 02:09 AM
Some years ago, on the early forgotten battles era, I flew on Virtual Eastern Front for OKL.
The normal a/c was the Me-109 F2.

I feared the I-16 and wrote some threads where I had doubts that the I-16 was soo good.

The answers I got was like "The I-16 is correct modelled"
I flew the I-16 myself and enjoyed it as low-level fighter, but it was no challange.

Some days ago I met the I-16 again and this time I flew the KI-43 and found that the I-16 wasnt the plane it used to be.
It was no match to take them down with two 7,9mm mg.

Is the I-16 undermodelled in PF 4.01?

FritzGryphon
07-17-2005, 02:12 AM
I think the Ki-43 is a bad comparison. The Ki-43 can turn inside a missile silo.

I remember that, in some version of FB, the I-16 had an optomistic sustained turn rate, to say the least. It may have been corrected.

The damage model, for sure, was ridiculous in FB. This is one of the main reasons it was so feared. It has since been corrected.

jugent
07-17-2005, 02:22 AM
How to dogfight against the I-16 was a issue of adaptation. I you turnfighted against it with a Me-109 you made the wrong choice.
But the I-16 sustained energy very well, got magnificant guns, turned very well, took heavy damage and was stabile to aim with.
Perhaps the 4.01 patch has excluded the Delta wood factor?

Hydra444
07-17-2005, 03:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jugent:
Perhaps the 4.01 patch has excluded the Delta wood factor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This might very well hold true,but only a fool would still not take this plane serious.She's still a beast when flown properly.That being said,I've noticed that people still try to turn fight these babies...Then act shocked when they get worked over like a steak meeting a tenderizer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

vocatx
07-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Just last night I was flying with a group against I-16s. A couple of them were complaining about how difficult it was to shoot down an I-16; they thought the aircraft was too hard to shoot down with a Ki-43. It's funny how one person's perception can differ so much from another.

Myself, I hadn't flown against an I-16 since original Il-2 until they appeared on Zekes vs. Wildcat recently. Yes, they are a fairly difficult plane to bring down, but I have discovered that if you hit it in the right place when you are near your guns' convergence distance, they will go down just like anything else. They are quite a formidable adversary when flown by a decent pilot.

horseback
07-17-2005, 02:33 PM
It looks to me as though the I-16's DM has been redone for the first time since it first appeared in the original Il-2 Sturmovik; you can take it down from a dead six with LMGs, PKs are now possible and it flames up quite nicely when you hit it from behind and below, although you should be wary of whacking it from too close, as they explode much more often.

It still turns and accellerates pretty well, and with the new efficiency of some guns, the key will be to hit it first.

cheers

horseback