PDA

View Full Version : Anyone successfully complete: Sneaking into ScapaFlow, single mission?

Charlie901
03-20-2005, 11:48 PM
This is one tough nut to crack. The shallow depth and destroyers everywhere are murder! I was running low on my batteries before finally getting depth charged to death. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone else have any better luck?

flankerbiotch
03-21-2005, 09:35 AM
I got there... only to find the port was entirely empty, except for one lone Revenge battleship out in the harbor. Put 4 torpedoes in her, she listed to port. Surfaced to fire my deck gun, only to get shot at by guys on the battleship's AA guns!!! No way they could have shot at me in real life, as the ship was leaning on it's side almost at 90 degrees!

Also, despite insane amounts of destroyers on my way in to Scapa Flow, absolutely no one came to attack me after I hit the battleship. I was out in the open for some time, just watching the Revenge go down. Got sunk on the way back...

Trydan
03-21-2005, 10:18 AM
I managed to sneak in last night, only to find the habour deserted and only three destroyers moored out in the main part of the bay. Of course, the route in was heavily patrolled, and it was stop-start the entire way as destroyers prowled about. So, no battleships or carriers, which was a pity, but then that was a risk when I snuck in in the first place.

I haven't got out... yet. I saved after getting in, as it was late enough as is. Getting out is tonight's little project. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wingtip59
03-21-2005, 10:44 AM
and your screwed then... i posted in another thread when i got to scapa flow i found the battleship and exited to take a break, saving of course..but when i returned and tried to load the mission back up THERE WAS NOTHING listed to load......peeved me off majorly....

Charlie901
03-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Maybe the docked ship(s) in the port is Dynamic. Since the single missions are run off the Campaign Map/engine, maybe when you hit the port (time wise) determines what you'll get?

Also I keep getting hunted by destroyers on the way in, when running in quite mod as deep as possible. How do you "sneak" by them?

Charlie901
03-21-2005, 07:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charlie901:
Maybe the docked ship(s) in the port is Dynamic. Since the single missions are run off the Campaign Map/engine, maybe when you hit the port (time wise) determines what you'll get?

Also I keep getting hunted by destroyers on the way in, when running in quite mod as deep as possible. How do you "sneak" by them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone?

Carlos1123
03-21-2005, 08:18 PM
I managed to sneak into Scapa Flow and on the way to the harbor I passed under a destroyer undetected, I didn't know if I would pull it off because the area was very shallow and the conning tower was VERY close to the destroyer's keel. The reason for this was because behind the destroyer I went under, there was a second one and in between them there was something that looked like a buoy sticking out of the water holding an anti-submarine net, but it turned out it was nothing and I was very dissapointed.
What I did to go undetected was simply to go on silent running (Z) and on ahead-slow. Also, try to keep the periscope underwater when you're less than 500M from enemy ships or they will se it and you can't go very far in such a shallow harbor.

mariness2
03-21-2005, 08:31 PM
I got in and sunk a DD and a warship. You have to watch depth carefully, and rig for silent running and creap in slowly. Also, I like to stay center of waterway, or close to sides.

That mission is actually easy. If you want some real pucker factor, on your next career patrol south central Atlantic, RTB but make a stop thru the Gilbrater Straits. This may be the craziest and most demanding task at hand. I would advise not even attemtping it if the weather is bad enough that you can't man the deck guns, cause you will need them alot (won't give off the surpises in store for ya).

Uber_4ce
03-21-2005, 08:52 PM
I stayed 150m under for a LONG time watching the destroyers circuling overhead, i ran on silent running the whole time, all stop, waited, waited, waited, and they finally left and i came up, and i got it saved cause i am chasing them, Anyone crack Gibralter? i hate those pesky little spitfires, UA

Nukem_Hicks
03-21-2005, 09:30 PM
I'm assuming that everyone is talking about the Scapa Flow single mission. Has anyone found any ships moored during campaign mode? I keep hearing mixed stories.

ballers1985
03-21-2005, 10:11 PM
able to sneak in will post pics if somone will tell me how

Docjonel
03-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Hit "Control-F11" to get a screenshot.

Elerium115ufo
03-22-2005, 12:01 AM
I beat this one. Its tough to get by the destroyers. go as deep as you can, and silent run. Use decoys. I got into the harbor and hit the battleship with 4 torps. Then I went down again, and slipped out. They were none too pleased that their Bship was sunk.

animator303
03-22-2005, 12:30 AM
yeah i got in.....but only after a cat and mouse chase with two destroyers.... that lasted hours....REAL TIME...it was great.

how ever one of them was destroyed after its hull got ripped open by insainly strong observation parascope...HA HA....take that.... and the other i think got too close to his own depth charges.....it was in like 15 meters of water...lots o' laughs.

continuing on my way, and after sinking a few more destroyer that seemed to be parked facing inland (very easy kills...one shot each)... I found myself in Scapa. The search towers there are useless as they seem to only point in one direction. Then i saw the revenge. Oh boy this is gonna be a big battle i said.. but it was still like the others, so taking this as an advantage i snuck up to get a good 90 degree shot.. 2 torps in the side and she begins to roll over... HAHA...score one for the Germans...
BUT wait....it hits the ocean floor, and is stuck on 60 degree angle with it guns just sticking out of the water. Hmmmm.... I send two more torps at it....but still in the same position...So armed with only 2 flaks, take charge thinking i can shoot it to death.. Well i get close..only to find im blinded by its search light followed by 2 deck gun rounds that give my watch crew a much need reason for a vacation. ok then. .. Trying to get away it ends up destroying me... who would a thought..
That deserves some serious medals..

I wish i could show you the screen shots but i dont know how to add them to the thread... Oh well.. next time revenge........next time