PDA

View Full Version : Ship issues need addressing for BoB, too

|CoB|_Spectre
07-23-2005, 06:57 AM
Some long neglected issues surrounding ships, more specifically their damage modeling, need to be addressed if BoB is to accurately portray the campaign. At present a wooden fishing trawler withstands as much damage as a PT boat, a destroyer or cargo ship as much as a cruiser, etc. I'm talking damage by other than torpedoes. The majority of anti-shipping attacks by aircraft employed bombs and strafing. A near miss often had an effect on the vessel's speed and steerage. Strafing attacks, particularly on non-armored vessels, should have a profound effect if the attack is persistent. Within the confines of such a significant, but short lived campaign as the BoB, it is hoped the fidelity of all targets, not just those airborne, will get due consideration. If padlock is to be featured in BoB, please consider enabling it for ships as it was in early IL-2. It is difficult to command an AI wingman to "attack my target" when you cannot designate it.

|CoB|_Spectre
07-23-2005, 06:57 AM
Some long neglected issues surrounding ships, more specifically their damage modeling, need to be addressed if BoB is to accurately portray the campaign. At present a wooden fishing trawler withstands as much damage as a PT boat, a destroyer or cargo ship as much as a cruiser, etc. I'm talking damage by other than torpedoes. The majority of anti-shipping attacks by aircraft employed bombs and strafing. A near miss often had an effect on the vessel's speed and steerage. Strafing attacks, particularly on non-armored vessels, should have a profound effect if the attack is persistent. Within the confines of such a significant, but short lived campaign as the BoB, it is hoped the fidelity of all targets, not just those airborne, will get due consideration. If padlock is to be featured in BoB, please consider enabling it for ships as it was in early IL-2. It is difficult to command an AI wingman to "attack my target" when you cannot designate it.

Tater-SW-
07-23-2005, 07:02 AM
They also need simple AI. Unlike tanks, etc where you could have many tens of AI vehicles, there are not likely to be more than a handful of moving ships in any mission---give them soem simple AI to throw the rudder over and make an evasive circle, for example.

tater

TimTam27
07-28-2005, 07:56 AM
At present the ships can't move in a circle, only pivoting about their axis when changing direction. I imagine Oleg and his crew were concentrating more on aerial action than what happens on the ground when they developed the IL2 engine but I hope the next generation engine will include more realistic movement of ground (and sea) objects.

If Olegs next sim after BOB is set in the Med there will be an enormous amount of Anti-Shipping action so I will be very disappointed if the ships can't turn circles or have some sort of AI attack avoidance.