PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to the Inaugeration

savior2006
01-17-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm going with my class at 6:30 pm for a grueling 15 hour bus drive to see Barack Obama give his speech on Tuesday. Not only that, I get to tour Washington DC and some of its landmarks beforehand.
It's gonna be great.

savior2006
01-17-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm going with my class at 6:30 pm for a grueling 15 hour bus drive to see Barack Obama give his speech on Tuesday. Not only that, I get to tour Washington DC and some of its landmarks beforehand.
It's gonna be great.

pinkcar36
01-17-2009, 08:47 AM
great!!!! i live very near D.C. it is not to bad.when it is warmer out. anyway hope you have a good time and stay warm! it is very cold.

JohnsHomegirl
01-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Personally, I wouldn't cross the street for it. But hey, I'm not everyone, so have fun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WhiteKnight77
01-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Make sure that you take some really warm clothes. The forecast for Tuesday is 30F with a wind from the NNW @ 12MPH which means a wind chill of about 20F or so.

Other than that, have fun and go to the Smithsonian if y'all have time.

Dmask89
01-18-2009, 01:23 PM
lol you americans dont know cold. 20F is around -6C here in winnipeg (in canada) thats pretty much pants and sweater weather after we've had a week of -30C or more.

i'd love to go on a trip to DC not really to see the inaugeration but to see landmarks and the like. would be sweet

halo_99
01-18-2009, 02:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dmask89:
lol you americans dont know cold. 20F is around -6C here in winnipeg (in canada) thats pretty much pants and sweater weather after we've had a week of -30C or more.

i'd love to go on a trip to DC not really to see the inaugeration but to see landmarks and the like. would be sweet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last Friday, it got to -39C degrees, so they had to close down all the schools.

ThePheonix1030
01-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Is there seriously gonna be a huge concert with many artists performing for Obama? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that previous presidents never had entertainers putting on a show for them. It's really annoying that everyone is making such a big deal about this guy. Is it because he's black or something? I dunno.

Sure he's black, but he still thinks like a white man. Not to be stereotypical or racist or anything. &lt;_&lt;

Aj6627
01-18-2009, 05:15 PM
He isn't black. He's half white, half black.

WhiteKnight77
01-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Inaugurations have been big parties for some time now. Here are some articles on President Bush's and a comparison for the 2005 and this inauguration.

Hey, Dude — Where's the Party? (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,95271,00.html)

Good-bye Rock, Hello Country (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,95274,00.html)

Bush inaugural schedule crams a week's celebrations into 4 days (http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/inauguration/2001/story/inauguration.preview/)

AP Slammed Bush’s ‘Extravagant’ Inaugural in ’05, But Now It’s Spend, Baby, Spend (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/rich-noyes/2009/01/14/ap-slammed-bush-s-extravagant-inaugural-05-now-it-s-spend-baby-spend)

ThePheonix1030
01-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Alright, thanks for that. Been bugging me for a while. :]
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aj6627:
He isn't black. He's half white, half black. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know, but everyone is considering him to be fully black. =/

I hope he turns out to be a good President.

MKCC14
01-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I thought it was more about bringing "Change" into the country...

ThePheonix1030
01-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, I learned some new things about Obama today. He ain't such a bad guy after all. His first year might be rough for him, but I think he's gonna do great overall. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

...I hope.

tmgbhot
01-20-2009, 03:12 PM
anyways its kinda strange having a black man for a president

MKCC14
01-20-2009, 08:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThePheonix1030:
Alright, thanks for that. Been bugging me for a while. :]
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aj6627:
He isn't black. He's half white, half black. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know, but everyone is considering him to be fully black. =/

I hope he turns out to be a good President. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So its congrats to the first half-black president...is that better? I would say they consider him just the first black president cuz the half part doesnt sound right at all and he married a black woman and have two kids that are dark skinned.

MeloniesHomeboy
01-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Halfway into his presidency the bumper stickers will start coming off. Just my opinion though.

savior2006
01-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Well I'm back!
I toured on Sunday. Saw the Smithsonian Air and Space and toured Arlington with my class.
Monday: Saw American History Museum as well as the Natural History Museum. Also saw the Veteran's Wall. I took a picture of the name of a friend's fallen relative.
Tuesday: Walked for about four or five miles into Washington to see Obama talk on a jumbo-tron while millions of people stood out in the cold. Biggest disappointment of my life. I dunno what I was expecting but I was at least expecting a line of sight. My friend Dephonn had a silver ticket. He saw dots walking around the Capitol building.
Later that night, we dressed up and danced on a gussied-up boat. That was fun. There was an Obama poster there. We took pictures with it. A girl who looked like Melonie was there. When she saw the poster she burst into flames. We threw the ashes into the bay.
I ****ed my girlfriend off, made her laugh, and made out with her on the bus ride home. Sometime during this little trip to DC I forgot: an air mattress, sheets for the air mattress, the blanket for the air mattress, gray pants, a sweater, and a black bag. Mom wasn't that surprised. She gave me an "I knew this would happen look and let me eat some Halo burger."

WhiteKnight77
01-21-2009, 11:58 PM
What did you need an air mattress for? Weren't y'all staying in a hotel or something?

quillan
01-22-2009, 07:09 AM
The kids today aren't as tough as they were back in the '60s, WK. At Woodstock they just used the ground; these days they need air matresses. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

savior2006
01-22-2009, 12:47 PM
We had to share accommodations. Two dudes to a bed. My mom said: "Nuh-uh." and I went along with her.
Quillan, half-a those kids in Woodstock were OD'ing on mushrooms, so they probably couldn't feel all the fire ants picking at them

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
01-23-2009, 10:14 AM
I mean how black do you have to be to be considered black? What percentage of your grandparents have to be black?

Who makes up these numbers if that's the case?

And to whoever made the comment "Thinks like a white guy", I think that's possibly one of the most racist comments I've ever heard. How do you define how a white/black guy thinks? I'm pretty sure that there's plenty of black/white people who would be offended by your answer, no matter what it is. You can't just pile everyone into a bracket.

Just because Obama doesn't cling to the black card and continually points to all the injustices alot of the African Americans had to endure doesn't make him any less black. It doesn't make him any whiter either. Race was never an issue with his campaign. The media make a big whoop de doo out of it by showing alot of African Americans (rightly) going nuts on TV throughout the campaign, when alot of whites were just as eager to see a solid, and charsimatic Democratic leader being elected.

I was honestly disappointed with the media showing alot of African Americans with, what I felt, a lesser IQ being given air time with nothing to say but "Change, change, change!!" (Southpark, anyone?) when I'm sure there were plenty of well spoken members of that community who would have liked to voice their well founded opinions on his Presidency.

It's completely idiotic, as well as highly ignorant, to expect someone to act/think a certain way because they have genes, in their makeup, that turn their skin a different shade of color, and thinking like that only works to reinforce the petty and unfounded stereotypes that plague alot of our societies.

He's a good mannered, well spoken and highly credible character who thoroughly deserved the win and, IMO, was the better option for America who REALLY needs to work at healing the wounds that they've caused over the past 8 years.

This is a very, very, very good first step (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7845585.stm)

WhiteKnight77
01-23-2009, 10:59 AM
I think that the term African American, used to describe blacks born in the US needs to stop. There are many different races of people in Africa to include white and olive skinned people who all hail from Africa. Someone from Johannesburg can be black or white and are just as African as someone from Egypt or Morocco or Ghana.

Those who were born in Africa and emigrated to the US and have become citizens of the US can call themselves African-American as that is where they are from, but someone born in Peoria with black skin is an American of African descent just like I am an American of Irish descent, not an Irish-American.

Obama is an American and yes, now our President. Everyone needs to remember that he is part black, he is part white too. Until people stop thinking in skin color terms, we will continue to have racial tensions, no matter who is in the White House.

Angel Fire
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif That has been my thoughts right from the beginning. From now on maybe I should refer to using German-American for my self.
If a person is born in this country they should refer to themselves as AMERICAN and nothing else.

Aj6627
01-23-2009, 11:40 AM
In that same vein, I should be able to call myself a Native American since I'm a native of America.(being born here)

I agree with you whole heartedly WK!

halo_99
01-23-2009, 01:40 PM
I don't walk around calling myself an Irish Canadian. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Since the majority of Canadians are from Irish decent.

savior2006
01-24-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm gonna coin my own race some day.
The Christopher's.
=D
But yes, you guys are right. The concept of race, as far as I'm concerned is grouped into 3 different parts: place of birth, skin color, and descent. The problem is the ideals conflict with each other, so one might as well not even bother.