PDA

View Full Version : Should I get disabled veterans license plates?

stugumby
11-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Was just at the dmv and found out kentucky requirements have changed, from 70% to 50% disability rating by VA to be eligible for disbaled veterans/handicapped plates.

I have 60% awarded from VA, so Im now eligible. Only impact I see is having to pay extra fee just this year for plate and renewal in july vs birth month of nov.

I have all my limbs and am not in wheelchair/supported stroller etc, so I'm eligible/qualified but do I "want/need" these plates??

stugumby
11-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Was just at the dmv and found out kentucky requirements have changed, from 70% to 50% disability rating by VA to be eligible for disbaled veterans/handicapped plates.

I have 60% awarded from VA, so Im now eligible. Only impact I see is having to pay extra fee just this year for plate and renewal in july vs birth month of nov.

I have all my limbs and am not in wheelchair/supported stroller etc, so I'm eligible/qualified but do I "want/need" these plates??

TS_Sancho
11-02-2009, 03:06 PM
If your getting around alright save the space for someone who honestly needs the access.

my two cents..

Blood_Splat
11-02-2009, 03:09 PM
If you can walk around in the store you should be able to walk from the parking lot into the store.

blairgowrie
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
I take a slightly different view on this. If you qualify, you should get the special plates. If you come to a parking lot that has lots of available space for veterans that is not being used, park there. You have earned the benefit.

If all but one of the spaces are taken, park with the general public.

Monterey13
11-02-2009, 03:45 PM
My Dad has them on all of his vehicles. The perk here in Tennessee is...they are permanent, and will never cost him to renew. Same goes for his fishing/hunting license.

Cajun76
11-02-2009, 03:56 PM
+1 blairgowrie

Wear the plates with pride, use 'em if you want to.

knightflyte
11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
I agree. Get 'em. You always have the option of not using them to park in a handicap space. But should you not be well enough on occasion, not having them won't benifit you in the least.

As Blaire said, 'You earned them.'

RPMcMurphy
11-02-2009, 06:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TS_Sancho:
If your getting around alright save the space for someone who honestly needs the access.

my two cents.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I say too. I am a DV but I refuse to get those plates because I can get around okay and I am not that bad off and there are people coming home from overseas who are without limbs or worse. I have seen guys park in the disabled spot and then stroll on into the store jingling his car keys and whistling with out a pain to be seen. Thers a guy at work who pushed it real hard to get that fifty percent so he could get those plates. But I refuse. Thats just me though. It dependes on how bad of shape you are in. My two cents also.

Mr_Zooly
11-03-2009, 04:00 PM
If you qualify then go for it unless you are like 30+ stone and like food too much, god I hate the people who eat too much then get a free vehicle and disabled parking (UK resident).