PDA

View Full Version : What is the damage/problem with Hurricane?

Oilburner_TAW
09-18-2005, 12:43 AM
What happens to the Hurricane when you get hit and the revs jump up way above redline? I know it effects the prop pitch control because it becomes inoperative (set pitch to 0 no change in rpm). I have to drop the throttle to keep the engine rpm in the safe area. Other than having to fly at reduced power, the plane still works/flys fine.

Oilburner_TAW
09-18-2005, 12:43 AM
What happens to the Hurricane when you get hit and the revs jump up way above redline? I know it effects the prop pitch control because it becomes inoperative (set pitch to 0 no change in rpm). I have to drop the throttle to keep the engine rpm in the safe area. Other than having to fly at reduced power, the plane still works/flys fine.

Kuna15
09-18-2005, 01:02 AM
I didn't fly it much in 4.01, but in 3.04 there is certain ammount of time that Hurri can be airborne after being damaged that way... eventually engine will seize because of that damage.
Yes, it can be airborne for quite a while being that damaged.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Xiolablu3
09-18-2005, 03:34 AM
There is a screw on an engine which affects the timing, if you take the screw out then the engine revs at massively high revs and eventually blows up.

There is also a screew which affects the amount of fuel which goes into the engine, unscrewing this will also affect the engine in the same way.

I guess this is what has got hit when this happens.

If you watch the film Battle Of Britain, this also happens to a british plane, the revs shoot up and it starts smoking. He then pulls around onto a 109s tail and shoots more rounds at it.

JG52Karaya-X
09-18-2005, 04:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oilburner_TAW:
What happens to the Hurricane when you get hit and the revs jump up way above redline? I know it effects the prop pitch control because it becomes inoperative (set pitch to 0 no change in rpm). I have to drop the throttle to keep the engine rpm in the safe area. Other than having to fly at reduced power, the plane still works/flys fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, seen that myself... RPM goes sky-rocket but the engine takes no to little damage. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Actually at such RPMs the Merlin should be toast in a matter of a ~10 seconds

AnaK774
09-18-2005, 04:49 AM
Sounds like constant speed props governor damage

danjama
09-18-2005, 06:44 AM
maybe the rpm gauge is broken

JG52Karaya-X
09-18-2005, 11:31 AM
No the rpm gauge isn't broken - you can also hear the engine roar up insanely... especially in a dive!

vocatx
09-18-2005, 12:08 PM
This is known as a run-away propellor. The propellor governor has been damaged and you can no longer control the r.p.m. of you engine/propellor. It is NOT a bug.

msalama
09-18-2005, 12:10 PM
What vocatx said...

danjama
09-18-2005, 12:54 PM
it was a joke http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

F19_Ob
09-18-2005, 06:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vocatx:
This is known as a run-away propellor. The propellor governor has been damaged and you can no longer control the r.p.m. of you engine/propellor. It is NOT a bug. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the engine will die soon enough but will hold a little while longer if throttle is idled immediately.
I've glided with idled prop to my own base a couple of times.

Runaway props also could happen sporadicly when the above parts are corroded for example.(planes were outside in wet and cold)
This was why many planes were run up to high revs on ground to detect a runaway prop early.
I just read about p38's where they did this.

vocatx
09-18-2005, 07:21 PM
F19_Ob is correct, I forgot to add that little tidbit of info. With enough altitude and very careful throttle management you can often make it back to base.

@ Danjama...sorry, didn't mean to come across as angry or anything. No offense to you meant. I do have to say that my enjoyment of this forum has degraded immensely lately with some of the assinine comments and conjectures of late. I think you know of what and whom I speak, and it isn't you.

IL2-chuter
09-19-2005, 03:38 AM
The P-38 thing is slightly different than the Hurricane thing. The prop/governor on the Hurri is hydraulic so a damaged governor (i.e. flyweights) or loss of oil will cause "control issues". Being outside in the weather won't affect this system (key parts are internal) except maybe for control linkage (on most planes a pulley/cable system). On the P-38 the props were electric (I've overhauled similar P-39 props) and they had slip rings on the back of the hub for "brushes" (like in an alternator). This was a . . . um . . . maintainance issue, especially in weather.

Low pitch (runaway) was a problem in combat (due to loss of oil or overcooled oil) but a non-responding prop (failed linkage) wasn't unheard of.

And the 109 had a full feathering electric propeller which I could have used several times the other night online . . . well, maybe I've said too much.

Have fun.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

F19_Ob
09-19-2005, 04:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IL2-chuter:
The P-38 thing is slightly different than the Hurricane thing. The prop/governor on the Hurri is hydraulic so a damaged governor (i.e. flyweights) or loss of oil will cause "control issues". Being outside in the weather won't affect this system (key parts are internal) except maybe for control linkage (on most planes a pulley/cable system). On the P-38 the props were electric (I've overhauled similar P-39 props) and they had slip rings on the back of the hub for "brushes" (like in an alternator). This was a . . . um . . . maintainance issue, especially in weather.

Low pitch (runaway) was a problem in combat (due to loss of oil or overcooled oil) but a non-responding prop (failed linkage) wasn't unheard of.

And the 109 had a full feathering electric propeller which I could have used several times the other night online . . . well, maybe I've said too much.

Have fun.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THNX for the detail on the p38.
Although I remember reading weather being an issue in many planes (Hurricane included) and weather, especially freezing cold could affect performance and reliability negatively.
Perhaps the parts u described could be damaged or negatively affected by cold, wet, dry or hot (dust?) in some way, other than corrosion?

Nubarus
09-19-2005, 04:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:
Yea, seen that myself... RPM goes sky-rocket but the engine takes no to little damage. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Actually at such RPMs the Merlin should be toast in a matter of a ~10 seconds </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No to little damage?

Are you playing the same game as the rest of us then?

When it happens to me I need to react really fast to lower the rpm below 3000, limp back home and most of the time the engine breaks before I even get there.
If I make it at all that is, because your speed is reduced to a point even a biplane can catch up so they usually finish me off and I have to bail out.

Pirschjaeger
09-19-2005, 07:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nubarus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:
Actually at such RPMs the Merlin should be toast in a matter of a ~10 seconds </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No to little damage?

When it happens to me I need to react really fast to lower the rpm below 3000, limp back home and most of the time the engine breaks before I even get there.
If I make it at all that is, because your speed is reduced to a point even a biplane can catch up so they usually finish me off and I have to bail out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the same as my game. I don't even try to lower the throttle as most times I'm not fast enough to avoid damage. I just cut the engine and look for a base or flat area.

Fritz

Nubarus
09-26-2005, 06:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nubarus:

No to little damage?

If I make it at all that is, because your speed is reduced to a point even a biplane can catch up so they usually finish me off and I have to bail out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the same as my game. I don't even try to lower the throttle as most times I'm not fast enough to avoid damage. I just cut the engine and look for a base or flat area.

Fritz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the same in everybody's game.
I have seen Karaya-X claim this several times already but he never posted a track to back up this claim.
He even makes it sound like it's an advantage to have your engine shot up like that.

What really happens is that the engine over-revs and breaks down rapidly if you keep your trottle full open and pitch to 100%.
You can fly (limp) for a little while if you are fast enough to lower the pitch and throttle to keep the RPM under 3000 but the engine will produce less and less power as you go along until it breaks down completely.

SlickStick
09-26-2005, 11:21 AM
As people have said, it is simulating a damaged prop pitch control. It also happens to the Spitfires.

Immediately lowering throttle to bring RPMs into acceptable range (the little red box on the gauge) will let you fly "normally" for awhile, maybe even let you get back to a close base, but be sure that engine damage will happen quite quickly if you try to increase throttle too high or exceed the redbox for a short time after receiving this type of damage.

Although, I'm pretty sure I've flown around for a bit after this type of damage, by just keeping the RPMs low enough to simulate normal operation using lowered throttle.