PDA

View Full Version : About exploding bolts

matteo1980
11-30-2004, 02:06 AM
I am an italian fan of this game, and was seeing "Das Boot" when a question regarding the simulation came to my mind. When going deep and deep with the sub, will the bolts explode because of the pressure? I was thinking of this because it would make noise that could be heared by the enemy ships. Can we expect this detail in the simulation?

GertFroebe
11-30-2004, 04:28 AM
In fact that bolt-thing wasn't possible.
The hull was welded and not riveted. So no bolts from the hull could be pressed out of their sockets by water pressure.

Teddy Bar
11-30-2004, 04:52 AM
Whilst the hull was welded I thought the ribs were bolted. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GertFroebe
11-30-2004, 06:15 AM
Havn't seen any bolted ribs in U995. You can check that on fotos in the web.

diveplane
11-30-2004, 08:43 AM
to far deep diving the hull would shrink in size, steel hull would creek and whine with the water pressure, and would eventually breach open and sea water would pour in, pipes bolted to the insides would buckle and pop ..and bolts would fly....mind you the german uboats
where double hulled with welded space beams
between the 2 hulls...so would be a very deep
dive before the 2 hulls implode...with the pressure

GertFroebe
11-30-2004, 08:53 AM
There were no bolts on the pressure hull. Welded metal resists more pressure. I don't care if you do not believe me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Das Boot is great but not always correct. For exsamlpe: The Subs were painted white (ivory color), but in Das Boot it's dark grey. Or the net-saw... no type VIIc (except very few early boats) had this saw on deck!

diveplane
11-30-2004, 08:56 AM
never said the hull was bolted together?

equipment and pipes inside the uboat would
blow off and bolts would fly, like the movie shows...dont know where you get this bolted hull from?

GertFroebe
11-30-2004, 08:59 AM
VIIc was a 1-hull boat. Only Type IX had two hulls.

GertFroebe
11-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Hmmm... don't think that the big pressure goes into the inner tubes. Maybe this only happens when the lockings are damaged. Usually they will be closed after the boat is submerged.

TASKFORCE1x1
11-30-2004, 09:25 AM
Maybe more the american subs. The pipes had nuts and bolts. In the ficticious movie Down Periscope they show the bolt from a pipe shooting across the sub's chamber. Something like that.

Yarrick_
11-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Actually, bolts did exploded in SHII, and SHIII is suposed to be more acuratte. I don't remember if I ever heared a bolt explode in the type IX, I didn't use to dive much with that, because you mostly attacked alone merchants and avoided the destroyers while playing on it.

What I don't know if we will see any bolt explode in the 3D vision. Anyway, if bolts did not explode, isn't the glass of the light as dangerous as a bolt if it explodes?

U-443
11-30-2004, 02:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>isn't the glass of the light as dangerous as a bolt if it explodes? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One would expect so and do more damage like a shotgun effect rather than a single "bolt" bullet. It would have been a great addition to the the game if it has not already been included.

Capt.LoneRanger
11-30-2004, 03:59 PM
The pressure is applied to the pressure hull, not to the glass of the lights. Even if the pressure inside the sub was raised (e.g. by blowing air into the pressure hull), the lights are not sealed off -> there is no difference in pressure -> they won't "explode"

GertFroebe
11-30-2004, 04:31 PM
They don't ment that the lights were blown apart by water pressure... Lights can break in case of an waterbomb attack and the whole boat is shaking like hell.

Capt.LoneRanger
11-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Exactly, Gerd. That's why I doubt a crushed class will explode with a "shotgun" effect. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

U-443
11-30-2004, 10:20 PM
I would have thought the glass shattering would have been a case of cause and effect.

Dominicrigg
12-01-2004, 04:25 AM
???

You've been watching too much matrix!!

Try to get monica belluci out of your mind :P

codmander1
12-01-2004, 06:09 AM
actully the crew would burn up not drown on implosion because of water forceing air- air rushs so fast causes a flash over

Yarrick_
12-01-2004, 10:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by U-443:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>isn't the glass of the light as dangerous as a bolt if it explodes? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One would expect so and do more damage like a shotgun effect rather than a single "bolt" bullet. It would have been a great addition to the the game if it has not already been included. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, it wasn't included, you could see some lights in some control panels but they didn't blow when under attack.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-01-2004, 10:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by codmander1:
actully the crew would burn up not drown on implosion because of water forceing air- air rushs so fast causes a flash over <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There wouldn't be time to burn to death - it takes some seconds to burn a person so badly that he dies from it. You'd probably be killed by the shockwave hitting you - I'd imagine you'd be knocked unconscious or killed outright by the concussion.

HeibgesU999
12-01-2004, 10:58 AM
I was watching something about the flashover from the pressure, and it was pretty nasty.

Definitely not a good way to die.