PDA

View Full Version : P-40 vs 109

BillSwagger
01-21-2010, 05:19 PM
I was building a mission to represent a 1941-1942 setting in North Africa.

I'll be including the P-40E, and i was looking to have a decent match up.

I'm thinking of a 109 variant, but i wanted to hear what others have to say.

I've narrowed down a few choices.

Bill

BillSwagger
01-21-2010, 05:19 PM
I was building a mission to represent a 1941-1942 setting in North Africa.

I'll be including the P-40E, and i was looking to have a decent match up.

I'm thinking of a 109 variant, but i wanted to hear what others have to say.

I've narrowed down a few choices.

Bill

VW-IceFire
01-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Performance wise it's between the E-7 and the F-2 for me. The P-40E is really good in a turn and out turns the E-7 handily and also rolls significantly better. It can catch 109s in a dive too and the firepower is excellent. The F-2 is faster, climbs quicker, has even less firepower... but its agility levels are similar.

I think the F-2 may be the best match.

ElAurens
01-21-2010, 05:26 PM
This is one of those man vs. machine kind of deals.

A well flown P40 can beat a poorly flown 109 of any version. I know, I've done it. I got a K4 driver to throw away all his advantages and try to turn with me. When I saw the flaps and slats deploy I knew he was mine.

As for historical match ups, I'd say stick with the F.

Ba5tard5word
01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Maybe check out FlatSpinMan's Afrika! campaign, you fly a Bf-109E in North Africa and face a lot of RAF Hurricanes and Tomahawks.

The faster E models have a slight speed advantage against even the later P-40 models at sea level so the AI 109's will probably spend a lot of time flying away from you if you're in a P-40, which is annoying...they don't do this as much in UP 2.0 which is nice, they will actually turn back and engage you instead of constantly running away into the sky, so you can actually catch up to them in a slower plane. AI Bf-109F's will probably just keep flying away too, they have a bigger speed advantage.

If you're talking about humans against humans then go for whatever is historically accurate.

thefruitbat
01-21-2010, 05:46 PM
E7 or f4 i think historically, and both are a good match.

na85
01-21-2010, 07:18 PM
I know that Tomahawk mkII vs 109E7 is probably one of the best match ups in the game.

I'd say for a P-40E, the Emil is probably at a disadvantage and a better match would be one of the F series.

JtD
01-21-2010, 11:29 PM
In many vs. many I'd say 109F-4.
In few vs. few I'd say 109F-2.
In 1 vs. 1 I'd say 109E-7.

The good firepower and high speed handling of the P-40 will be getting more and more important as the numbers increase and teammates become more and more important.

BillSwagger
01-22-2010, 02:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Performance wise it's between the E-7 and the F-2 for me. The P-40E is really good in a turn and out turns the E-7 handily and also rolls significantly better. It can catch 109s in a dive too and the firepower is excellent. The F-2 is faster, climbs quicker, has even less firepower... but its agility levels are similar.

I think the F-2 may be the best match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was my thought also. It seems they are well matched performance wise, giving the 109 all its historical advantages, while the P-40E retains its edge with roll performance.

A big part of the consideration was with firepower, and from a few test missions it seems that they share a similar amount of trigger time to score kills on each other.

I thought of including the E7 as another option, so if people wanted more firepower they could, but at a cost to performance.

thanks for the input,

Bill

Sillius_Sodus
01-22-2010, 02:55 AM
Hi Bill,

Will you be including Jabos in your mission? If so you'll want some Emils in the mix. I used to dread going up against 109's in a P-40 but now I like it better than the Spit V.

Your mission sounds like fun, you'd better share! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

DKoor
01-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Correctly flown both, F will defeat P-40.
But there are way to many factors that effect outcome.

BillSwagger
01-22-2010, 08:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sillius_Sodus:
Hi Bill,

Will you be including Jabos in your mission? If so you'll want some Emils in the mix. I used to dread going up against 109's in a P-40 but now I like it better than the Spit V.

Your mission sounds like fun, you'd better share! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm building this with the MDS so there are different ways to incorporate other planes into the mix, but the majority of fighter planes will be P-40E and 109F-2s. The MDS has a few features i haven't quite figured out yet, but you can add planes to the mission as bases get captured which i thought was a great way to add depth to some of these missions. You could actually start the mission with P-36s vs 109Ds, and end it with P-40Ms going up against 109F-4s/ or something like that.

Xiolablu3
01-22-2010, 08:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JtD:
In many vs. many I'd say 109F-4.
In few vs. few I'd say 109F-2.
In 1 vs. 1 I'd say 109E-7.

The good firepower and high speed handling of the P-40 will be getting more and more important as the numbers increase and teammates become more and more important. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely.

mortoma
01-23-2010, 07:43 PM
One of the few times I played online in the last year I got into a Coop mission which was mostly G2s against P-40Es. We slaughtered the G2s because everything took place at low altitude and the G2 drivers were trying to dogfight us instead of using energy tactics. Big mistake for the G2 drivers!! If I would have flown the G2 in that scenario I would have stayed fast and mostly vertical and taken my time picking off P-40s. The G2 has the power to extend away from the P-40 in either horizonal and vertical. So if pilots fly F or G model Messers they can get slaughtered if they don't use it correctly. Getting impatient and going into turn fights in a 109 will help you become a grease spot on the ground. At least against P-40s anyway.

Jumoschwanz
01-26-2010, 05:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillSwagger:
I was building a mission to represent a 1941-1942 setting in North Africa. Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are looking to "represent" a part of history why don't you do just that and read a history book and do what it says actually happened instead of asking everyone what their opinions and wet dreams are?

Altering plane sets from history will make no difference as the really good pilots will do well no matter what you give them to fly, and the poor pilots will whine no matter what you give them to fly....

BillSwagger
01-26-2010, 05:36 PM
i actually have a couple battles in mind, but i like to get feedback to dilute any biased i might have.

Bill

Sillius_Sodus
01-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Bill,

By all means do some research through books but ask away here anyway! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

We might just be able to give you that bit of information you've been looking for.