PDA

View Full Version : Aaaahhh! My eyes!!!!

Sillius_Sodus
02-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Sorry, I was flipping through the TV channels this evening and came across the P-40 vs Zero scene from Pearl Harbour... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Sillius_Sodus
02-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Sorry, I was flipping through the TV channels this evening and came across the P-40 vs Zero scene from Pearl Harbour... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

LC34
02-22-2011, 03:18 AM
How about that amazing line when they wake up during the raid, "I think World War 2 just started!"

Any good pacific air war movies out there besides Midway?

Feathered_IV
02-22-2011, 04:15 AM
"P-40s can't outrun Zeroes, we'll just have to outfly them."

Erkki_M
02-22-2011, 04:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LC34:
How about that amazing line when they wake up during the raid, "I think World War 2 just started!"

Any good pacific air war movies out there besides Midway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought Midway was pretty awful. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Try Tora Tora Tora!

RSS-Martin
02-22-2011, 05:08 AM
Or a little more modern have a look at the movie "Letters from Iwo Jima" or "John Rabe" both I found very good.

M_Gunz
02-22-2011, 06:16 AM
Two P-40's did get up and did shoot some Vals down.

http://www.acepilots.com/usaaf_welch.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In the beginning of December, 1941, Welch and 2nd Lt. Kenneth Taylor had moved their P-40s away from the main airfield at Wheeler to a nearby auxiliary field at Haleiwa as part of a gunnery exercise. The vast majority of Army Air Force fighters at Wheeler were parked in neat rows on the main flightline; although war with Japan appeared imminent, it was decided that the possibility of sabotage from the ground presented a greater threat than a potential air attack, and it was easier to guard them while parked in neat rows than dispersed on the airfield perimeter. Thus when the Japanese carrier-based sneak attack against Pearl Harbor and Wheeler and Hickam Fields came on the morning of December 7, 1941, the majority of the Army Air Force fighter force was easily destroyed on the ground, several of them when the first P-40 pilot attempting to take off to fight was hit and killed on his takeoff roll and his fighter went crashing down the flightline at Wheeler.

That Sunday morning Welch and Taylor were just leaving an all-night party at Wheeler Field, Hawaii. As they stood outside an army barracks watching the tropical dawn grow brighter, neither had any idea of the momentous event which was about to change their - lives. Welch was saying that instead of going to sleep, he wanted to drive back to their own base at nearby Haleiwa Field for a nice Sunday morning swim.

Suddenly the Japanese swooped down on Wheeler Field, which was a center for fighter operations in Hawaii. Dive bombers seemed to appear out of nowhere. Violent explosions upended the parked planes, and buildings began to burn. Welch ran for a telephone and called Haleiwa as bullets sprayed around him.

"Get two P-40s ready!" he yelled. "It's not a gag--the Japs are here."

The drive up to Haleiwa was a wild one. Japanese Zeros strafed Welch and Taylor three times. When the two fliers careened onto their field nine minutes later, their fighter planes were already armed and the propellers were turning over. Without waiting for orders they took off.

As they climbed for altitude they ran into twelve Japanese Val dive bombers over the Marine air base at Ewa. Welch and Taylor began their attack immediately. on their first pass, machine guns blazing, each shot down a bomber. As Taylor zoomed up and over in his Tomahawk, he saw an enemy bomber heading out to sea. He gave his P-40 full throttle and roared after it. Again his aim was good and the Val broke up before his eyes. In the meantime Welch's plane had been hit and he dived into a protective cloud bank. The damage didn't seem too serious so he flew out again--only to find himself on the tail of another Val. With only one gun now working he nevertheless managed to send the bomber flaming into the sea.

Both pilots now vectored toward burning Wheeler Field for more ammunition and gas. Unfortunately the extra cartridge belts for the P-40s were in a hangar which was on fire. Two mechanics ran bravely into the dangerous inferno and returned with the ammunition.

The Japanese were just beginning a second strafing of the field as Welch and Taylor hauled their P-40s into the air again. They headed directly into the enemy planes, all guns firing. This time Ken Taylor was hit in the arm, and then a Val closed in behind him. Welch kicked his rudder and the Tomahawk whipped around and blasted the Val, though his own plane had been hit once more. Taylor had to land, but George Welch shot down still another bomber near Ewa before he returned.

Perhaps twenty American fighter planes managed to get into the air that morning--including five obsolete Republic P-35s. Most of them were shot down, but their bravery and initiative accounted for six victories in the one-sided aerial battle

Welch was nominated for the Medal of Honor for his actions on Pearl Harbor Day, and the Air Force Chief, General Henry H. Arnold was reportedly anxious to receive the nomination. Unfortunately for Welch, the intermediate chain of command, their pride evidently smarting from having been caught off guard and suffering the devastation they did, reasoned absurdly that Welch had taken off without proper authorization and could therefore not be awarded the Nation's highest military award; the award was downgraded to a Distinguished Service Cross. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They didn't like the movie either.

ROXunreal
02-22-2011, 06:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
"P-40s can't outrun Zeroes, we'll just have to outfly them." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Wildnoob
02-22-2011, 10:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sillius_Sodus:
Sorry, I was flipping through the TV channels this evening and came across the P-40 vs Zero scene from Pearl Harbour... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I get to the middle age I will risk a heart attack if see this.

M_Gunz
02-22-2011, 10:57 AM
I heartily agree with Taylor! That movie is TRASH! Have Tora x3 which was a magnificent attempt at historic recreation.

I've lived in barracks with the holes from that attack. Up high in Kole-Kole Pass there is a 30 ft white metal cross where the first guys killed were, manning their radar station, it can be seen from a good ways out on clear days.

biggs222
02-22-2011, 11:04 AM
yeah the movie was complete and utter $h!t...

but c'mon, its a Michael Bay movie. this is the guy that thinks the definition of a plot line is a series of large explosions.

kimosabi79
02-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Kate Beckinsale.

Ba5tard5word
02-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Tora! Tora! Tora! is 1,000 times better than Midway. Midway was just dreadful. Bad effects, cheesy acting and script, and it just goes nowhere for the most part. Torax3 has good acting, great special effects for the time (so good that Midway used a lot of the footage), and you learn a fair bit about the whole "Washington knew about PH before it happened"...they had some inkling that something would happen but had no idea what.

Dambusters and The Battle of Britain are a couple of good non-pacific WW2 aviation movies. Can anyone name some others?

biggs222
02-22-2011, 12:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Tora! Tora! Tora! is 1,000 times better than Midway. Midway was just dreadful. Bad effects, cheesy acting and script, and it just goes nowhere for the most part. Torax3 has good acting, great special effects for the time (so good that Midway used a lot of the footage), and you learn a fair bit about the whole "Washington knew about PH before it happened"...they had some inkling that something would happen but had no idea what.

Dambusters and The Battle of Britain are a couple of good non-pacific WW2 aviation movies. Can anyone name some others? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dark Blue World is a good one.

Choctaw111
02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by biggs222:

Dark Blue World is a good one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.
I special ordered this movie a couple years back and have watched it numerous times.

As far as Pearl Harbor is concerned, it wasn't the greatest film in many regards but I did enjoy seeing the great CGI sequences of the dogfighting, torpedo bombing, Mitchel formations etc.

Heavy_Weather
02-22-2011, 12:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kimosabi79:
Kate Beckinsale. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, I agree. I thought the movie was called Kate Beckinsale. Did I miss something? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

RSS-Martin
02-22-2011, 12:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by biggs222:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:

Dambusters and The Battle of Britain are a couple of good non-pacific WW2 aviation movies. Can anyone name some others? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dark Blue World is a good one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You think so?
For me that movie had a lot of gaps.
They do not show how they made it from Czechoslovakia to the UK, then they show a bit about the battle of Britain with constant flashes forward to the 50ties, but nothing mentioned what happened in the time between the battle of Britain and the end of the war or how they came back to Czechoslovakia, all you get is that they are imprisoned for flying with the British. From my point of view it looked unfinished. I was a bit disappointed with that movie.

RSS-Martin
02-22-2011, 12:31 PM
A movie that I like, which I would say is almost even with the 1969 version of The Battle of Britian, is Memphis Belle.

M2morris
02-22-2011, 01:25 PM
This is one classic I have always wanted to have in my movie collection:

"In order to be grounded I've got to be crazy,
and I must be crazy to keep flying.
But if I ask to be grounded that means I'm not crazy anymore and I have to keep flying."

(For B25 lovers, watch the entire clip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLNnWw1YHGg

TheCrux
02-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Pearl Harbor stole 2+ hours from my life, and I'm quite angry about that. Even if I weren't a stickler for technical/historical accuracy ( which I am very much ) the vapid corny-ness of it was enough to make me squirm. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

Just saw 'John Rabe' 3 nights ago. While not meant to be a graphic docu-drama on "The rape of Nanking" it is a solid film that brings light to an often overlooked event and era. Best way I can describe it, is that it's kind of like 'Schindler's List' set in 1937 China.

saipan1972
02-22-2011, 02:03 PM
actually his name is michael "boom boom" bay.

tora tora was done by a japanese movie crew while midway was done by a USA movie crew. tora tora was way better.

empire of the sun is a good movie, not alot of avation in it though. christian bales first role.

deskpilot
02-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Hey guys it's not a movie but "Bomber" the BBC radio 4 adaptation of Len Deighton's story is quite superb; mixing interviews with veteran pilots and civilians on both sides with a gripping story about a bombing raid that goes disastrously wrong. It has quite a strong anti-war message whilst being totally respectful to the men who risked and often lost their lives. as well as lancasters there are references to stirlings, pathfinder mosquitoes and high altitude JU88 night fighters. I have it on cassette and converted it to cd. It was originally boradcast in sections in "real time" throughout the day. It won awards I'm sure. Well worth checking out. Tom baker's narration is fantastic. I listened to it first when it was broadcast on bbc radio 4 about 15 years ago. I remember I was painting the spare room at the time and I was so caught up in it that I realised at one point that I had completely stopped painting and was just standing there with my dripping paintbrush in my hand, mesmerised.
with regards "Pearl Harbour" I most detest the B25 leader's gung ho glory boys speeches. Yeauch .
+1 re Kate Beckinsale though!

Skip_Jack
02-22-2011, 04:11 PM
How about Twelve O'Clock High
If you read all of the link it may spoil it for you. I saw it on TV when I was a kid and loved it. Much better on DVD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_O%27Clock_High

It's on Netlix streaming if you have an account

Rjel
02-22-2011, 06:53 PM
There have been several "best" aviation film threads here before.

I agree, Twelve O'clock High isn't just a great aviation film, it's great story telling. But in reading a lot of comments in this and the other threads, I think it's magic would be lost on most today. Not in color, not tons of flying sequences and long in dialog and storytelling. Unfortunately the type of film no longer in favor with many if not most movie goers.

Other good (IMO) WWII Pacific films are:

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
Wing and A Prayer
The Purple Heart
God is My Co-Pilot

All of them are WWII era films in B/W and a little long maybe in propaganda but still worth watching.

Skip_Jack
02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
I have not seen Purple heart since very young. I will need to look into that one again in particular since I have real little memory of it. Same with the others except Wing and a prayer, do not remember ever seeing that one. I'm going to have to look out for it.

WTE_Galway
02-22-2011, 08:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wildnoob:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sillius_Sodus:
Sorry, I was flipping through the TV channels this evening and came across the P-40 vs Zero scene from Pearl Harbour... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I get to the middle age I will risk a heart attack if see this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to mention somehow the Battle of Britain is around the time of Pearl Harbor and the fact that neither Taylor nor Welch were even remotely involved in the Doolittle Raid.

Taylor himself described Pearl harbor as "
... a piece of trash...over-sensationalized and distorted ... " .

My favorite though is the early scene with the rickety old 1920's crop duster biplane complete with an ELECTRIC starter.

jensenpark
02-22-2011, 09:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skip_Jack:
How about Twelve O'Clock High
If you read all of the link it may spoil it for you. I saw it on TV when I was a kid and loved it. Much better on DVD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_O%27Clock_High

add my vote to this one.

It's on Netlix streaming if you have an account </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

M_Gunz
02-22-2011, 10:02 PM
I remember the 12 O'clock High TV show from sitting up with the folks near bedtime. That was a while back.

joeap
02-23-2011, 03:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saipan1972:
actually his name is michael "boom boom" bay.

tora tora was done by a japanese movie crew while midway was done by a USA movie crew. tora tora was way better.

empire of the sun is a good movie, not alot of avation in it though. christian bales first role. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm no tora tora tora was filmed by both a Japanese and American crew- for the Japanese and American parts respectively. Kurosawa was supposed to direct the Japanese half originally but dropped out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066473/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tora!_Tora!_Tora!