PDA

View Full Version : New pilots in desperate need of help/advice

AndyGW
06-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Hi

I'm currently playing in a DCG coop campaign with a group of friends at work, and while we're certainly having a great time, and have improved our general flying no end, we're still getting ripped up by the enemy. The campaign is set in the crimea, early 1942, and we're playing as the russians flying Lagg3s and IL2s. Our most persistant and troublesome foe is the Bf109 f2 and f4. In last night's game the 6 of us engaged 5 109's and although we had the element of surprise the tables were very quickly turned. The problem is that we just can't catch these damn planes! I can sit on one of their tales and watch it slowly creep away from me, worse, they seem to have incredible climb performance, with myself often falling out of the sky as I try to climb in pursuit.

Having checked in Hardball's viewer its quite clear that our planes are inferior, but is there any tactic that would help us out? We recently engaged a group of IAR80a's and they pretty much made mince meat of us, despite being slower, so I guess there must be some hope.

btw.. I've heard the terms 'turn and burn', 'boom and zoom', 'angles' and 'energy' fighter but I don't know what category the planes fall into or quite what they are exactly and the tactics best suited to each.

all help appreciated, and much needed!

Andy

AndyGW
06-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Hi

I'm currently playing in a DCG coop campaign with a group of friends at work, and while we're certainly having a great time, and have improved our general flying no end, we're still getting ripped up by the enemy. The campaign is set in the crimea, early 1942, and we're playing as the russians flying Lagg3s and IL2s. Our most persistant and troublesome foe is the Bf109 f2 and f4. In last night's game the 6 of us engaged 5 109's and although we had the element of surprise the tables were very quickly turned. The problem is that we just can't catch these damn planes! I can sit on one of their tales and watch it slowly creep away from me, worse, they seem to have incredible climb performance, with myself often falling out of the sky as I try to climb in pursuit.

Having checked in Hardball's viewer its quite clear that our planes are inferior, but is there any tactic that would help us out? We recently engaged a group of IAR80a's and they pretty much made mince meat of us, despite being slower, so I guess there must be some hope.

btw.. I've heard the terms 'turn and burn', 'boom and zoom', 'angles' and 'energy' fighter but I don't know what category the planes fall into or quite what they are exactly and the tactics best suited to each.

all help appreciated, and much needed!

Andy

Xiolablu3
06-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Hmm you picked a tough one there mate.

Early war Russian is possibly the hardest team to play in the game, they are totally outclassed by the German planes.

B&Z is almost impossible in the early RUssian planes, because your planes fall apart at 600kph (I had this happen to me in a Lagg online just the other day)

The best I can offer is teamwork, thats all you can really do, try and cover each others tails as you are flying.

The 109's outclass you in every manouvre, so theres not much I can say that will help.

Maybe some dedicated Red army pilots will come with some better advice, but my advice would be to jump along to late 1942 where the La5 and Yak9 are just about on a par with the German planes (although the 109's adn FW190's are still better IMO)

Or restart as a German pilot in 1941.

Not much help I know, sorry...but you picked the hardest campaign possible. Remember how the RUssian air force got slaughtered in 1941?? I guess you are finding out why...

The Lagg3 was called 'varnished wooden coffin' by the pilots for a reason.

POssibly try and draw them into a turning battle, although I would rather be in a 109 in a turning battle than a Lagg mtself. AT least in an i16 Rata you could be sure of outturning them, but in a Lagg its a bit hit and miss.

COuld try practising in QMB, setting up a 1 on 1 vs a 109F4 and seeing which manouvre works best vs him, then transferring that to the battle.

AndyGW
06-12-2007, 05:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">B&Z is almost impossible in the early RUssian planes, because your planes fall apart at 600kph (I had this happen to me in a Lagg online just the other day) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi and thanks. Your above comment was another thing I'd forgotten about - when I have had speed I've had to be extremely careful not to lose the odd wing, which has happened regularly.

We're 35 missions in on this camapign now and I reckon we've entered the end phase so we'll just sit it out. We've faired pretty well in the IL2's - even against fighters, and in the next camapign we get LA5's & LA5F's so it can only get better.

Joe-90
06-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Ah, you're playing a DCG. Great campaigns, and importantly, these campaigns are won by the tanks on the ground.

Taking out enemy aircraft has minimal effect compared to taking out tanks and their supply columns, or protecting your own tanks and supply columnns.

The trick then is to stay alive and stop the enemy bombers if you are a fighter, or bombing the vehicles if you are an IL2. This is not so hard compared to dogfighting superior aircraft. And you avoid being shot down by just waiting for a 109 to bomm and zoom you, when he is close, just break turn. He will never get a bead on you that way. If you're lucky he will get fed up and try to turn with you and then YOU have the advantage!

But if you avoid being shot down and kill those tanks, you will push the line forward!

neural_dream
06-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Andy, download the brief guide I have in my sig. It will help you now that you're still a n00b.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-12-2007, 07:54 AM
I've found in fighting the AI (which hasn't been for a couple years), it's often best to use your advantage sparingly and instead of rushing in to blast the fascists out of the sky in 1 pass, dip in and zoom (or simply climb) BEFORE the 109's start to do so and get the odd high-deflection strikes to gradually degrade their performance.

The fact is (as has been stated already) the 109 F2/F4's were quite nimble and had tremendous performance for early-war scenarios. I always found it best to get a few strikes on a couple and let them run. Your mission will still be 'successful' and if your flight home is far enough, you'll likely get credit for one or more en route.

TB