PDA

View Full Version : scapa flow nightmare

ivantanterrible
06-30-2005, 08:47 AM
after seeing so many discussion about the scapa flow and it seemed to me quite exciting to try. I decided to give it a try and it turns out a total disaster...I've already finished 4 patrols and earned some medals and crosses. I thought I'll be top of the aces if I can get through scapa flow

it is 1943. I left Bergen...I sail all the way to scapa flow. I was quite a distant from scapa flow and encountered a plane. It was stormy so I can't ask the crew to man the deck gun and forced to dive...I met those god **** plane several times but they missed me. I thought it was just easy.

To my dismay, after 10 minutes, I was attacked by 5 aircraft at the same time!!!!! They chased me with depth charges and machine guns...my boat was taking damage badly. I dived and stay quiet under for quite sometimes and then they didn't return again..thank god...

I repaired my boat and still heading to the port. I finally entered scapa flow!! But couldn't find any ships! I hanged around the area for a while and surface just to send a report back to the base and decided to go off. Suddenly, a V&W destroyer came out of nowhere and start looking for me..I thought how is it possible?? Then...not only the destroyer..the planes are back..3 of them...after that another destroyer join the hunt...****..I tried to sneak out until my battery runs off...i was forced to surface...the stupid plane comes back...4 of them!!! I can't shoot at them cos it's stormy weather...i just lyign there like a coffin in the middle of no where...abandon ship

end of report http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

ivantanterrible
06-30-2005, 08:47 AM
after seeing so many discussion about the scapa flow and it seemed to me quite exciting to try. I decided to give it a try and it turns out a total disaster...I've already finished 4 patrols and earned some medals and crosses. I thought I'll be top of the aces if I can get through scapa flow

it is 1943. I left Bergen...I sail all the way to scapa flow. I was quite a distant from scapa flow and encountered a plane. It was stormy so I can't ask the crew to man the deck gun and forced to dive...I met those god **** plane several times but they missed me. I thought it was just easy.

To my dismay, after 10 minutes, I was attacked by 5 aircraft at the same time!!!!! They chased me with depth charges and machine guns...my boat was taking damage badly. I dived and stay quiet under for quite sometimes and then they didn't return again..thank god...

I repaired my boat and still heading to the port. I finally entered scapa flow!! But couldn't find any ships! I hanged around the area for a while and surface just to send a report back to the base and decided to go off. Suddenly, a V&W destroyer came out of nowhere and start looking for me..I thought how is it possible?? Then...not only the destroyer..the planes are back..3 of them...after that another destroyer join the hunt...****..I tried to sneak out until my battery runs off...i was forced to surface...the stupid plane comes back...4 of them!!! I can't shoot at them cos it's stormy weather...i just lyign there like a coffin in the middle of no where...abandon ship

end of report http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

lecek
06-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Destroyers can DF (Direction Find) your transmission. As soon as you sent a report you unleashed hell. Though I have seen destroyers do this near a convoy, it seems un attached destroyers are far more likely to investigate DF's. Try it. If you know a lone destroyer is 15 K from you send a transmission and watch.

stinkhammer6
07-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Why would you sent a contact report of no contacts?

Also I know the solo DD thing isnt true, I had a DD pass over top of me outside of Gibralter and kept going, as soon as it was out of sight I sent a contact report and went along my plotted course at ahead slow, nothing came back.

aaronblood
07-01-2005, 07:09 AM
I would imagine the destroyers AI for following a DF would be tied to a fairly high probability but perhaps not 100% of the time.

stinkhammer6
07-01-2005, 06:39 PM
I dont know about this one or not, I also remember creeping in on a lone t3 and I harpooned the thing on the surface, sent a contact report and submerged since there was a nearby convoy that just appeared on the map. I sent my contact and patrol report before going under and as I just gotten to P depth I noticed a contact, I swung the scope around and seen a destroyer crossing my back and just kept going.

lecek
07-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Hmm interesting.

I have witnessed a destroyer come and investigate after a transmission more then once but not every time. I was tracking a destroyer with sonar as it passed behind me some 15k off or so.

I wiped most of a convoy off the map and the destroyer didn't do squat. About 10 minutes after I sent a patrol report and convoy report and the destroyer came right over to where I was when I sent the message. Looked around for a bit and then took off.

maxpower2
07-02-2005, 01:36 AM
i had a **** near squadron come after me when i was infiltrating that port west of bristol.

is was 2100. 1940.

stinkhammer6
07-03-2005, 06:51 AM
Destroyers are dumb at times but a genius at others, this we all know and makes this whole send a contact report and having a DD reply very sketchy. Who knows, you could be right, but from what I have experienced its not, at least at the moment, could depend on the year as well, too many factors to consider on this subject, until a DD parks it on the back of my sub after I send out a Contact Report, Ill continue doing things how I normally do. If you can provide other insight or pics or what have you on this, Im all ears.