PDA

View Full Version : Divebombers

argnan
03-24-2005, 09:12 AM
I don't undrestand!!!!! What's so special about divebombers that are the only planes that are supposed to "dive" to bomb??? I do that with all the other fighters... And Something else... Why most of the dive bombers have stady gears??? I mean wouldn't they flew faster if they could rise them????

Zyzbot
03-24-2005, 09:26 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dive_bomber

Dive bombers usually had some form of "dive brakes" which allowed them to dive at extreme angles without building up too much speed.

Platypus_1.JaVA
03-24-2005, 09:45 AM
YES but, aircraft in real life would behave diffrently. And I can imagine that not everyone is too keen to push it's aircraft straight towards the ground, especially when you know that your aircraft is designed for somethin totally diffrent...

murewa
03-24-2005, 02:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by argnan:
Why most of the dive bombers have stady gears??? I mean wouldn't they flew faster if they could rise them???? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you refer to the Val and the Stuka, remember both aircraft were very early designs, the stuka was designed and used way-back-when in the Spanish Civil War. The gear assemblies are present mainly because wheel retraction, a relatively advanced process at the time, was deemed an unecessary complication for aircraft that needed niether speed or maneuverability.

Latico
03-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Can you dive your fighters from 10,000 ft and hold that div e while you aim your bomb at a target, then release a bomb 1,000-1500 ft and pull out of the dive?

The prupose of dive bombing was to deliver a bomb on target with almost pinpoint accuracy. It was very effective against shipping, that used easive manuvuers to dodge bombing attacks from high alt level bombers.

Crash_Moses
03-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Yup. Dive bombers were designed to dive from great height at almost 90 degrees straight down. I guarantee that if you were to try that in an airplane without dive breaks it would disintegrate before you had the chance to deliver your message.

And full flaps won't help you either. I tried. Not in a real plane of course. They're expensive. And hard to find. And with today's fuel prices......

3.JG51_BigBear
03-24-2005, 06:07 PM
The flying tigers used to do a lot of dive bombing with p-40s. Pappy Boyington considered it the most difficult assignment because their aircraft weren't designed for that type of attack and the speed and acceleration achieved in such a steep dive could be very disorientating and made the dives very difficult to pull out of.

Hendley
03-24-2005, 08:35 PM
If you think you're divebombing in a fighter or medium bomber or whatever, you're not REALLY divebombing. Divebombing is _not_ pushing the nose down to 45 degrees and releasing the bombs a couple of seconds later...

It's exactly as Latico says; the only planes that will let you go _straight_ down from 3000m, drop an accurate bomb at 300m and pull up without plowing into the ground or disintegrating are the Stuka, Val and SBD. As well as the dive brakes already mentioned, dive bombers had to be very stable in the dive and able to withstand the extreme forces involved in a vertical dive and pull-up.

In fact, the only _true_ 90-degree bomber was the Stuka; the SBD and Val went in at slightly shallower angles of 80% and 70%, respectively.

Mr.Spot
03-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Dive bomber with retractable landing gear?
Gee, I dunno... how about the "IL-2"? Uhmm... SBD?

OK, it's my second post. Flame away folks. I know n00bs aren't allowed to form opinions on this forum.

Woof!

Skycat_2
03-24-2005, 10:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr.Spot:
Dive bomber with retractable landing gear?
Gee, I dunno... how about the "IL-2"? Uhmm... SBD?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Argnan's question was, "Why most of the dive bombers have stady gears?" Note the word 'most.' Argnan recognized that not all dive bombers had retracting gear.

The IL-2 wasn't a dive bomber. Sorry.

One point that wasn't brought up about the Stuka was that it was designed to automatically pull out of the dive at a certain altitude. Otherwise, when the pilot blacked out from the high G-forces he would crash into the ground. I'm not sure if the Val and other dive-bombers had similar safety guards.