PDA

View Full Version : LCD Monitor Size and Hyperlobby Combat

jayhall0315
02-27-2009, 04:30 PM
We have a whole bunch of LCD monitors in our lab and I was fooling around with modifying the conf.ini file last night to see both 'dots' and details better for full real combat. My questions to you veterans are:

1 - Is a 4:3 aspect ratio LCD (like 1600x1200 pixels) the best and preferred ratio for seeing all the aircraft correctly ? Is this what IL2 was designed for ?

2 - Does combat efficiency increase or decrease if I move to a 16:10 aspect ratio LCD (say 1920x1200 pixels or 2560x1600 pixels) ? I tried this last night and fought a bunch of guys and I dont think I can notice any difference except that my corsair appears stubbier.

Any suggestions gentlemen ?

jayhall0315
02-27-2009, 04:30 PM
We have a whole bunch of LCD monitors in our lab and I was fooling around with modifying the conf.ini file last night to see both 'dots' and details better for full real combat. My questions to you veterans are:

1 - Is a 4:3 aspect ratio LCD (like 1600x1200 pixels) the best and preferred ratio for seeing all the aircraft correctly ? Is this what IL2 was designed for ?

2 - Does combat efficiency increase or decrease if I move to a 16:10 aspect ratio LCD (say 1920x1200 pixels or 2560x1600 pixels) ? I tried this last night and fought a bunch of guys and I dont think I can notice any difference except that my corsair appears stubbier.

Any suggestions gentlemen ?

jayhall0315
02-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Sorry, forgot to ask:

1 - Does setting HighGore=1 or 2 do anything anymore since the 4.08m or 4.09b patches or has this feature been removed. If you have a screenshot please post it.

2 - Is Water=4 an impossible setting if you have a high end ATI card ?

Stiletto-
02-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Hey Jay, I will attempt to answer some of your questions.

As far as seeing the dots best as possible, this has nothing to do with the aspect ratio but the actual resolution. a 4:3 ratio at 1024x768 will look exactly the same in terms of screen resolution and dots as a widescreen monitor of similar variety of 1280x768, the difference only being you have more view to each side with the widescreen.. its the "x768", the vertical resolution what matters. Hope that makes sense. And yeah, x768 is what IL-2 was designed for and works best, but if you have a large and/or high quality monitor, you can get away with running high res and still seeing the dots in similar fashion.

As far as you changing your res from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600.. It depends on what the natural resolution of your monitor is.. It's probably closer to 1920x1200 and going high res than this value won't make your game look any better, most likely worse at the expense of frame rate. Id raise the FSAA instead of res if you can run it's natural resolution comfortably.

Also, since you said you have a whole bunch of LCD's at your lab.. You really should get a 2nd graphics card (it can be a cheap you just need the 2nd DVI port) and run SoftTH for tripple monitor support (though you might have to run in DX mode as I don't know how compatable it is with IL-2).

I don't know if HiGore does anything anymore, it sued to affect the He-111 and the Stork and a few others.. Sorry I can't answer this.

As for ATI cards, they need different settings than nvidea cards.. All you have to do is run water=2 to get the best water, which includes the 3d ripple waves and the fancy tides etc.. It looks just as good as nvideas best water but if you try =3 or =4 you will get junk.

Hope this helps.

ytareh
02-28-2009, 03:25 AM
If you want to see 'dots' as well as possible you MUST fly at 1024x768 max res which is what the game was designed for. I have a 30" monitor which supports 2560x1600 but I may as well not fly on Hyperlobby as use this res.It is just one of the many contradictions of the game that to see enemy dots best you need to zoom out...Its so un instinctive ..you would assume that focussing/zooming in would give a better view...
I know this contradicts the last poster but try it yourself and see...you can fly at 1000m over enemy bases and not see planes taking off at 1920x1200 yet at 1024x768 you can see planes on the ground from 10km alt...
I hope this and the sonic rear approaching plane radar/sonar are 'fixed' for SOW:BOB.

Klemm.co
02-28-2009, 04:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stiletto-:
...,the difference only being you have more view to each side with the widescreen.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
NO. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif
You do NOT see more to the sides with a wide screen monitor compared to a standard 4:3 one. In fact you see less. To reach the wide-aspect ratio, a proportional part of the top and bottom of the image is CUT OFF. Everyone can try this in windowed mode of IL-2. I even have some pictures to back this up.
In turn, when increasing the vertical resolution, you do actually get more to see of the game, again, try it in windowed mode. Just for fun I decreased horizontal resolution to 20 pixels or so and increased vertical to 1020 or so. Looks really funny. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">its the "x768", the vertical resolution what matters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Indeed, as only in the vertical you get to see more if increasing the resolution

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hope that makes sense. And yeah, x768 is what IL-2 was designed for and works best, but if you have a large and/or high quality monitor, you can get away with running high res and still seeing the dots in similar fashion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Unfortunately, as other users tested in past threads already, dots do not scale proportional to the resolution. In fact that if you can see dots well or not depends on the monitor, graphics card, game settings etc.
At higher resolutions, dots should be around 10 times the size they actually are. But on the other hand, the game does look very much better on higher res with AA and AF, but uses much more processing and graphics power.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know if HiGore does anything anymore, it sued to affect the He-111 and the Stork and a few others.. Sorry I can't answer this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does still apply to the planes named, just no blood visible, only gunners slumping over IIRC. Haven't played the unmodded version of the game in a very long time. Speaking of modded, High gore is available for all planes, with nicer looking effects, pilots/gunners slumping over as a mod. Another mod adds in-cockpit blood.

(Sorry for the screaming, but i read those false statements at the first part of the post much too often already. And there were 20+pagers discussing them. Several of them.)

Stiletto-
02-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah and I was part of those threads..

I think I am confusing you, I missed out the step where you have to widen your field of view in the control menu.. Yes the FOV goes by vertical not horizontal in IL-2, so if you run a widescreen monitor with the game, compared to a 4:3 monitor.. You get a wider vertical fov.. meanining the tops and the bottoms you see more view while the sides look zoomed in or cropped.. Not what we want to go after..

So the default field of view is 70, you have to raise this in the menu, to 80 or 85, I use 85.. And the result is a similar view as before with now the difference being the expansion on the left and right sides of your monitor. Hope this clears things up.

http://webpages.charter.net/scottomatic/fov_comparison.jpg

jayhall0315
02-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Hey guys, I did some Direct X related programming about four years back and at that time I was more up on the whole resolution/view stuff.

Right now, I am just grateful for the tips and advice.

Much appreciated !

h009291
03-01-2009, 08:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stiletto-:
.......So the default field of view is 70, you have to raise this in the menu, to 80 or 85, I use 85.. And the result is a similar view as before with now the difference being the expansion on the left and right sides of your monitor. Hope this clears things up.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where exactly do you change the FOV numbers?

Stiletto-
03-01-2009, 12:58 PM
In the controls menu under views.. It's a little bit more than halfway down the list. "Normal View" is by default the End key, and that is 70 degrees, I replaced with 85 so when I hit the end key (or the macro on my x52 in my case) it goes to that view after the gunsight view.

h009291
03-01-2009, 01:47 PM
In the controls menu under views.. It's a little bit more than halfway down the list. "Normal View" is by default the End key, and that is 70 degrees, I replaced with 85 so when I hit the end key (or the macro on my x52 in my case) it goes to that view after the gunsight view. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh ok. I just assign the FOV Toggle to a button on my Joystick and I can toggle through the 3 FOV no problem. Same thing.