PDA

View Full Version : Can't takeoff from an aircraft carrier

gulfcoastfella
12-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Whenever I try to takeoff from an aircraft carrier in the training mission (in an F6F-5), not two seconds after I pass the end of the deck, my plane rolls hard and dives into the ocean. What should I do?

Waldo.Pepper
12-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Learn to swim, or learn to takeoff.

Firebird_79vRAF
12-06-2004, 08:21 PM
~S~

Sounds like your releasing the chocks and them hitting the throttle. Have throttle set all the way and make sure engine is at max rpm's then release the chocks.

Tully__
12-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Use flaps. You have two choices, you can set takeoff flaps before starting your run, or pop takeoff flaps just before you hit the end of the deck. The former is less things to do while you're busy trying to fly, but the latter allows for slightly better acceleration during takeoff.

Firewall the throttle (all the way up).

Wait for the engine to reach maximum speed.

Release chocks.

As soon as the plane clears the deck, raise gear (you may have to wait a few seconds for this in those aircraft with manually cranked gear like the F4F and its brothers).

Don't yank back on the stick. You'll be barely above stall speed and need to gain more speed before you can start climbing. Use just enough pull on the stick to stop the plane sinking into the water. Once you're fast enough to get better stick response start slowyly climbing.

When you've got 50m or so altitude remember to raise your flaps (in stages) or you'll have trouble keeping up with your buddies.

RidgeR5
12-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Betcha he pulled hard...sounds like he stalled hard...

gulfcoastfella
12-07-2004, 03:30 PM
I think I've been pulling up too hard and stalling, thus snap rolling into the ocean. I'll try flying low over the water 'til I pick up speed.