PDA

View Full Version : Questions for article on Oleg

avimimus
05-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Hello,

I am working on a short article and have a question...

In 2001 how unique was Oleg's behaviour in the following:
- Directly talking with the community in the forums (collecting feedback, starting rumors)
- Handing out large amounts of free content after release

I am concerned that Austin Meyer or ED's ancestral flanker 2.5 team may not get credit.
Did anyone else engage the community?

Also, does anyone know what Oleg's sales have been like (vs. say CFS3 or the FPS industry?) and does anyone have information on the "end of the CFS series" and, less importantly, the "EA debacle"?

Thanks

avimimus
05-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Hello,

- Directly talking with the community in the forums (collecting feedback, starting rumors)

I am concerned that Austin Meyer or ED's ancestral flanker 2.5 team may not get credit.

Also, does anyone know what Oleg's sales have been like (vs. say CFS3 or the FPS industry?) and does anyone have information on the "end of the CFS series" and, less importantly, the "EA debacle"?

Thanks

Bearcat99
05-22-2007, 07:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by avimimus:
Hello,
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In 2001 we had something called the Friday update.. we would get siome kind of update every Friday and usually that was when Oleg would pop in here to answer questions... it was also not uncommon to see Oleg on Hyperlobby flying his own sim. Because we no longer see that doesnt mena that A)He isn't around or B)That he no longer has the same level of commitment.

Yes we did get free content.... lots of it, which basically helped to spoil the crowd into the unruly ungrateful mob that you often see rearing it's head in here.. though not everyone falls into that category of course.

I never heard of Austin Meyer.. but Oleg was the first time I ever saw that level of interaction with a community from a game developer... then again.. IL2 was the first product that ever impressed me to the point where I would really even care..

I have no idea what the sales of the series has been like... but I imagine that if yoiu took the sales of IL2, FB, AEP, PF, the other combo packages and 46 combined... and compared them to the sales of say... CFS3... who knows... I wont even speculate. If the boards at Sim HQ are any indication.... but I do think that the FPS market does better than the sim market overall....

AS for the end of the CFS series.... I cant even begin to speculate.. if they were smart they would do a combat add on module for FSX.... I am certain someone would buy it...

Xiolablu3
05-22-2007, 09:53 AM
I htink Oleg actually used to like chatting to people on the forums, but eventually it just turned into a mob with too many questions and complaints.

I am sure he got lots of junk mail and bad stuff sent ot his email by angry fanboys who were nmot happy with his game or the way he modelled a plane.

No doubt he realised he wasnt enjoying posting here anymore and just stopped.

He does post now and again, but usually only to give us info. He doesnt post extensively like he used to, its a real shame.

I think it was lack of respect by the mob that killed that golden period.

We have always had loads of free updates, I would speculate that at least a quarter of the planes in the game have been given in free patches and loads of maps, ground objects etc.

We are lucky to have Oleg in the PC Sim business, as he has created a serious quality product which is no doubt the most realistic WW2 sim to date. It would be so easy for him to go where the money is and start creating cr*ppy console games instead, lets pray that never happens.

DmdSeeker
05-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Oleg's level of interaction has never been that special.

Although he was seen a lot more back then; Dale Addink (Hitech) and Doug (Pyro)of Warbirds and Aces High had a much higher level back then; as did Blue Baron and Moggie in Airwarrior before them.

Of course Oleg is nowhere to be seen on his own fora these days.

Airwarrior released oodles of free content back in the day; but then it had a split CD/monthly fee marketing model. I think Oleg is very strong in this area.

VW-IceFire
05-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Never been special? I don't know...I've followed quite a few different games through completion and very few developers had the iron will to even try and walk through the fans and answer questions directly. Usually that was done by the PR rep, or the community manager, and so forth. Not that its wrong to have that as I understand the inner workings of that system quite well...but it was nice for Oleg to jump right in there with the piranha and be that available to the community.

I haven't seen that very much. Now that the game is popular I doubt we'll see it again. He does have a way of popping up now and again and I think he's become somewhat idolized in the community for better or worse. Curse or praise his name...I have respect for the guy for doing some really incredible work.

Waldo.Pepper
05-22-2007, 06:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oleg's level of interaction has never been that special. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may be on to something there. I remember back flying CFS1 with the RAF how great it was for Bill to come into the forum to tell us how much he liked what we were doing to keep the memory alive - and how much he liked it when we pointed out inaccuracies in his flight model and he would go away real happy swearing to redouble his efforts to get things perfect.

Heck of a guy that Bill.

TX-Gunslinger
05-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Great recollections from Flight Sim history. Where are all those guys and their products now?
What level of interaction and development are the norm in the combat flight sim genre currently?

I do see Viks and Gennadich interacting quite a bit with the community for their upcoming KOS, but other than that, I'm feeling like I may be missing something that going on somewhere. Please enlighten.

Oleg was around here last week, put in a few posts with respect to some SOW pictures. Oleg took some rivet criticism and responded.

Why all the 6 year old hoopla? Got something to do with the present that I'm missing?

S~

G

Copperhead310th
05-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Well after 5 years i would say it's changed quite a bit over the last couple years or so.
But then theres a lot to concider. i can rememebr flying in the same servers on UBI & HL with Oleg back in the original IL-2 days and evern Some in FB. Not so much anymore.
and now he gets so much email on "this plane this" & "this plane that"...that he just doesnt respond anymore. (or hasnt the time to)
But do consider that Oleg is/was a know WORK-o-Holic. sometime putting in 12-14 hour days or more. And then the fact that the poor guy has had neck and back problems from back to back car wrecks in a 24 hour period. and is only now 2 YEARS latter just getting back to snuff... thats a lot.
We as fans and dedicated players often get far to carried away with ourselvs and our demands of Oleg and his staff. I have been told that Olegs Offices arent very big at all and there are only like 25-30 ppl working there and all are not just working on IL-2 or SoW projects.
Plus the guy does have a family and a life.
I can't name any other developer of a major prodcut in the gamming world that has been as accesible (or as pataint) as Oleg Maddox has been. Nor as giving.
While i'll hammer him on a few points like the entire Pacific Fighters oversights.....i'll be the 1st to jump to his defnce in everything else. Because of the knowlage, hard work and love he has put into his work i have friends all over the world and many fine memories of good times had.
But i look fioward to oleg again being more active inthe community once again when it gets closer to time for SoW to luanch. that just seems to me to behis nature.

M_Gunz
05-22-2007, 09:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by avimimus:
Hello,

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen and participated in community-developer interactions since 1998 and have read of
the same to maybe less degree going on years before. When Sierra/Dynamix worked through both
their own site and the Delphi FSF they had a paid full-time liason on and off as well as the
team leader and sometimes coders showing to post. That was how I got into beta testing.

How much anyone sees of what goes on is like if you hit the right place then you can even
tell if any interaction is going on but if you miss then a great deal -may- be going on.
There were only so many 100 or so on the Delphi forum, I recognize a few here. But I don't
cover enough forums to know nearly all that's going on in developer interaction.

For one thing, how much interaction has Oleg done in the Russian speaking world? Lots more
I bet because it is far quicker and easier. So what we see here is not all.

And no one I've ever heard of turns out so many patches and addons per sale copy produced.
The addon planes though... open sims get addons of different qualities (including online UFOs)
would be more of a plus (there are some good ones) if IL2 series only ended with 16 to 20
flyables.

He still beats the competition. I have to wait, SOW compared to KoTS, need new hardware.

avimimus
05-24-2007, 12:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DmdSeeker:

Although he was seen a lot more back then; Dale Addink (Hitech) and Doug (Pyro)of Warbirds and Aces High had a much higher level back then; as did Blue Baron and Moggie in Airwarrior before them.

Of course Oleg is nowhere to be seen on his own fora these days.

Airwarrior released oodles of free content back in the day; but then it had a split CD/monthly fee marketing model. I think Oleg is very strong in this area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's see: I personally received around a dozen replies from Oleg and a couple features that I have requested were later implemented...

For me that qualifies as special...and he is still around, not posting, but around...

In anycase he has certainly raised the bar for quality, dedication and his 'charismatic' ways.

It is very interesting to hear of these earlier interactions before I upgraded to a modern computer in 1999. It helps explain things like why Dynamix was so successful.

If anyone has anymore I would very much enjoy hearing them.

Thank you,

-Avimimus

Taylortony
05-24-2007, 05:18 PM
me too met him several times, spoken by email and had replies as well really all round nice guy.............. you just do not get that these days from most developers.......... I remember his vision in some of the forums before it came out and there was a yeah yeah culture as no one believed he could pull it off........... I just hope he is enjoying some of the trappings of success from his dedication...... and I dont mean a Lada

Jaws2002
05-24-2007, 07:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DmdSeeker:

Although he was seen a lot more back then; Dale Addink (Hitech) and Doug (Pyro)of Warbirds and Aces High had a much higher level back then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I strongly disagree with you on this one Sir.
I played both those games. I played aces high for a long time. I still have a current copy of the game right now with everithing including high resolution skins and the latest patch that came last week or so.
I don't know how you can say that they offered more free content then Oleg when their game is on a monthly bill. they are charging you either they bring something new to the game or not.

Just looking at the size of the games you'll understand whay I disagree with you. Il-2 in it's latest version is huge compared with something like Aces High. I think oleg offered more free content in this game then the entire aces high. More and in the same time of way better quality.
Half of aces high planes still have eight years old generic cockpits.
In the case of Hitech and Pyro I strongly disagree with you, and so do the hundreds of players that still pay 15 dolars a month for the same planes they flew eight years ago on pentium two.

Bearcat99
05-25-2007, 05:21 AM

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally disagree with that one...and unless you had to reregister under your current name after being around under another one... how would you even know? I came here in 02.. and in 02 we used to get regular updates from Oleg every Friday and often during the week as well.. and as I said... back then you could fly with/against him on HL as well...

Most of the emails I sent to Oleg have been answered.. more so in the past than recently but I imagine that it is just a busy issue.. and I can see my emails getting lost in the sea of emails he gets...
Not to take anything away from any of those other guys you mentioned... but to say his level of interaction has never been that special is just plain wrong.