PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needed advice - Where do I start?

PropellerEd
01-13-2009, 12:42 PM
First post and first step to what I hope will be a successful transition back into WWII flight sims.

Back in 2004 I was a huge online flight sim fan flying in Warbirds as often as possible shooting down friends and foe in the virtual skies.
Even managed to forum a Squad which added to the realism and enjoyment.
Heres my old site now inactive.
http://www.david.c.c.btinternet.co.uk/eaglefront.html

Anywho!
5yrs later and I fancy putting on my flying goggles again, but this time I'm very much pulled towards the iL2 series and particularly the future in the form of Storm of War: Battle of Britain.

Now, before we start I shall need a future proof PC to handle the graphics and accessories as I'm sick to death of missing out on the eye candy.

Anyone recommend a none techie site that can help me on buying a powerful sim rig.
IRtracker, multiple screens and high end graphics are priority.

And would there be a site or page dedicated to helping newbies find their wings?
in short: Where do i start?

All help appreciated.
<salute>

Thanks
Ed

PropellerEd
01-13-2009, 12:42 PM
First post and first step to what I hope will be a successful transition back into WWII flight sims.

Back in 2004 I was a huge online flight sim fan flying in Warbirds as often as possible shooting down friends and foe in the virtual skies.
Even managed to forum a Squad which added to the realism and enjoyment.
Heres my old site now inactive.
http://www.david.c.c.btinternet.co.uk/eaglefront.html

Anywho!
5yrs later and I fancy putting on my flying goggles again, but this time I'm very much pulled towards the iL2 series and particularly the future in the form of Storm of War: Battle of Britain.

Now, before we start I shall need a future proof PC to handle the graphics and accessories as I'm sick to death of missing out on the eye candy.

Anyone recommend a none techie site that can help me on buying a powerful sim rig.

And would there be a site or page dedicated to helping newbies find their wings?
in short: Where do i start?

All help appreciated.
&lt;salute&gt;

Thanks
Ed

dirkpit7
01-13-2009, 01:07 PM
IL-2 is not very demanding game so you don't need latest hardware to get it work with max settings. Unless you have a completely outdated system consider holding off the upgrade until we get more information on Storm of War system requirements.

Here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645) is a beginner's guide.

PropellerEd
01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
thanks Dirkplt.
I'll take a look at your link.

I dont even own a pc at this stage.
Welcome to the lonely world of the Mac pilot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Stingray333
01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Although IL-2 can be run on a fairly inexpensive and older computer, you are going to want a good computer to get the most out of it. Higher-resolutions, more anti-aliasing and anisotrpic filtering will all increase the amount of computer power required. Sure you can run IL2 on a PIII 933 at 800x600 on low/medium settings. If try running at 1920x1200 resolution, 8xAA, 16xAF with all the graphics settings maxed, with team speak, teamspeak overlay, hyperlobby, track ir, HOTAS/Joystick programming software running in the background and a second monitor showing an image of the map you are playing perhaps with some instructions, and suddenly this 6-7 year old game that can run on an ancient computer is going to require some monstrous computing power.

Building a future-proof PC is always a challenge. Basically, just go out and get the best PC you can afford and hope that it lasts. Get a fast dual-core CPU, E8500 or higher, 4gb of memory, and the best video card you can get your hands on. I'd recommend the ATI 4870 at a minimum, or ATI 4870x2 if you can afford it, although I hear that some of Nvidias new cards are good, but I am not as knowledgable about them. Nvida 280 or something. Don't skimp on the power-supply. If you have the money, I think the new i7 line of intel cpus are good, but the price point of the E8500 dual-core cpu's is so good right now! Do your research, I think tomshardware.com is a fairly good site to check reviews, but other than that, just google around. If you are brave/foolhardy/experienced with computers, you can typically piece together your own PC from parts you buy individually and get a more powerful PC quite inexpensively. However, if you are not comfortable, or have never done a build yourself, getting a pre-fab PC from a store with the assurance of a warranty and service work is probably a better option.

Get TrackIR, and a good HOTAS stick. I use the X-52 pro, and I love it, but others will tell you that the Cougar is the way to go, or that they live-and-die by the Thrustmaster. Do your research and get the one that appeals to you the most.

As for multiple-monitors, I would recommend a single, large, high-quality monitor, rather than multiple smaller ones. 24" or larger running 1920x1200 resolution. If you want, you can add on a smaller LCD on the side, but that is optional. TrackIR really makes having 2,3,4,5,6,7+ monitors hooked up to get that immersion and field-of-view a thing of the past.

Besides that, do your research. This game takes months if not years to master. Hopefully by the time you get up and running and some experience behind you, SoW:BoB will be released http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Are you a mac-user? I tried running IL2 on my macbook pro using bootcamp, but it was very unstable, seemed to work quite well though. What flight sims do you play on mac?

Stingray

WTE_Galway
01-13-2009, 03:07 PM
The tendency is for Il2 1946 to get processor locked, especially when running campaigns with massed bombers and lots of flak. Whilst a better graphics card is nice its raw CPU power that does the most good.

TrackIr is essential.

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-13-2009, 05:55 PM
1. As posted, read through the "Nugget's Guide", bookmark some valuable pages and go slowly.

2. There are a number of decent Hardware sites that can/will assemble a good gaming rig. You just need to tell them how much you want to spend. I know this may sound blasphemous to many, but if you're not too tech-savvy, go to http://www.dell.com They have a selection process that let's you configure whatever kind of pc you want that's well-suited to your purpose. If you ARE tech-savvy, gather some good parts with focus on fast RAM, Fast CPU and good motherboard. Video cards are still quite dynamic comparatively and even a decent early 2008 card (pre GTX2xx and 4870) like a G92 8800 GT/GTS will run this sim like a scalded dog.

Bearcat99
01-14-2009, 08:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PropellerEd:

Anywho!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirkpit7:
IL-2 is not very demanding game so you don't need latest hardware to get it work with max settings. Unless you have a completely outdated system consider holding off the upgrade until we get more information on Storm of War system requirements.

Here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645) is a beginner's guide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooo I disagree... to be run ruight this sim can still make a banging rig hiccup... I know a guy with a quad core 880o Ultr SLI'd 4G RAM box that every now and then still manages to choke with missions that are .... very immersive... especially with the mods in there...

Ed what you want to do is get the best rig you can currently afford.. and ti should run 46 fine.. but you must consider that Storm of War is coming... and you want to be able to run that as well.. even if on less than full blown settings.. I am hoping that less than perfect settings will look close to what we have in 46 now...

LEBillfish
01-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Runs fine for me though the mods are choking it a bit (in that many are made not considering that an aircraft model does NOT have to be 40mb, and the like overdoing things a bit).

My system very outdated, so should not be a problem with just about anything you put together.

Pent4 2.53Mhz, 533fsb
2Gig PC2700 ram (old and slow)
Creative Audigy (1) sound card
Nvidia 6600 graphics card
5mb DL Cable for net connection

.........So if my anchor can run it, you'll be able to put something very capable together easily.

K2

Xiolablu3
01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Billfish your system is not that bad.

A better gfx card such as a 7900GS or ATI 1900 AGP would give your system a good boost still.

Of course while keeping an eye on moving up to a 64 bit dual core system in 6 months to a year when you can afford it.

Aaron_GT
01-14-2009, 03:53 PM
IL-2 is not optimised for multiple cores. Whilst two cores may help (one running IL-2, one running TeamSpeak, TrackIR, OS) you probably won't gain much moving from two to four cores as TrackIR etc aren't that demanding.

SoW will be a different kettle of fish.

Stiletto-
01-14-2009, 05:35 PM
I'd reccomend shopping for parts on Newegg or Tiger Direct with some help of what to buy. Then after you get the parts shipped have a local computer store assemble it for you if you don't think you can do it yourself.
I know paying for labor doesn't sound fun but it really isn't that hard or too time consuming to put a PC together. Buying the parts directly at low cost and then getting it put together will still greatly outweigh the price of buying a complete system built from a mass outlet.

I built my Mother a 250 dollar computer last fall built off of newegg. Sure it's pretty basic but it looks and runs slick.

Also if your Mac isn't too old it might be able to handle IL-2 ok with bootcamp. If you want eyecandy with bells and whistles you will need to buy things off the internet as stated, where the cpu is the most important but high resolution with Full Screen Anti-Aliasing will require a powerful graphics card.

Let us know if you need help! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LEBillfish
01-15-2009, 12:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Of course while keeping an eye on moving up to a 64 bit dual core system in 6 months to a year when you can afford it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah........I'll do that. Can anyone spare a nickle for a cup-a-joe?

K2

PropellerEd
01-15-2009, 12:44 PM
thank you everyone. Much appreciated.
Nice to know the sim has such a great forum too.

I've had two days of intense research and reading.
The only thing I know for sure is my budget isn't going far enough for a really future proof PC never mind adding accessories like IRT, sound, input devices and screens.

As soon as i decided on a spec I'll post up and if you guys wouldn't mind i'd appreciate a 2nd opinion.

again,... thanks everyone.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif