PDA

View Full Version : Req English version of the German test of Captured Spitfire IX??

Xiolablu3
04-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi guys, I know that the Germans captured at least one SPitfire mkIX, and I hbave heard that there is a German language version of the this test floating about, however I have never saeen it?

Could anyone help with either the German or even better an English version?

(English would be better because if I can get the German verion I am only going to ask that it be translated, however any version will do..)

Can anyone help pls? I am most intersted in their thoughts about this plane as it seems it was even well loved even by Israeli pilots after WW2 when they were fighting the Egyptions...

Thanks in advance...

Xiolablu3
04-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi guys, I know that the Germans captured at least one SPitfire mkIX, and I hbave heard that there is a German language version of the this test floating about, however I have never saeen it?

Could anyone help with either the German or even better an English version?

(English would be better because if I can get the German verion I am only going to ask that it be translated, however any version will do..)

Can anyone help pls? I am most intersted in their thoughts about this plane as it seems it was even well loved even by Israeli pilots after WW2 when they were fighting the Egyptions...

Thanks in advance...

Brain32
04-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Ugh, good luck with that I've been trying to get my hands on captured allied planes trials for years. I would pretty much be happy with any kind of version, even translated to Khazastani language lol

Kurfurst__
04-29-2008, 02:57 PM
They certainly did test it, there are some curves from Rechlin for the Spitfire IX (which most Spitfire fans would not like to see, if I may add..), and the Germans of course kept rather accurate picture about the tecnical development of the Spitfire and other Allied fighters, and engines, summerized in lenghty, periodical reports.

Most of these however very technical engineering stuff, at least the docs I have do concentrate on the technical details which may have been of interest for German engineers of the time. I am sure there are more, more tactical flavoured stuff as well. It would be interesting to see.

Oh BTW I am having an issue to need to constantly change my sig because of constantly chaning sig size rules..

Xiolablu3
04-30-2008, 03:36 AM
I really dont care about the values, I would like to see them regardless of wether they are 'good figures' or 'bad figures'.

After all an aircraft is more than the its pure dive/climb numbers, theres its flying characteristics.

For instance, the P51 was much faster than the Spitfire LF IX, had much better range and far faster in a dive, however when Isaeli pilots are questioned about their favourite fighter...

Gordon Levett compares the three combat aircraft flown by the 101:

'In mock dog-fights, we concluded that the Messerschmitt could out-climb, out-dive and out-zoom the Spitfire and Mustang. The Spitfire could out-turn the Messerschmitt, the most important manoeuvre in air combat, and both could out-turn the Mustang. The Mustang was the fastest, the Messerschmitt the slowest, though there was not much in it. The Mustang had the best visibility, important for a fighter aircraft, the Messerschmitt the worst. The Spitfire cockpit fitted like a glove, the Messerschmitt like a strait-jacket, the Mustang like a too comfortable armchair. The Spitfire had two 20-mm cannon and four .303-in machine guns (sic; actually, the 101 Squadron Spits had two .50s, not four .303s), the Mustang six 12.7-mm machine guns (i.e. .50-calibre), and the Messerschmitt two 20-mm cannon and two 7.92-mm machine guns (sic; actually two 13.1-mm machine guns) synchronised to fire through the arc of the propeller.... Despite the pros and cons the Spitfire was everyone's first choice. (Levett 1994)'

I am interested in the tests regardless, as long as they show the exact model of SPitfire IX tested.

Xiolablu3
04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Israel vs Eygypt :-

...The enemy had not yet seen us. By now we were in perfect attacking position, about 4,000 feet above them and between them and the sun - bright, blinding sun even though it was winter.... Doyle grinned at me and pointed downwards with his index finger, his thumb cocking an imaginary gun. I nodded and followed him down. He attacked a Fiat before they saw us. I locked onto a Spitfire and fired. Bits flew off the Spitfire and the white trail of glycol told me his Merlin engine was probably mortally wounded. I was about to finish him off when I saw another Spitfire coming up my starboard side and broke off the attack. I turned steeply trying to shake him off, but he was still there. Looking back over my shoulder I watched, hypnotised, the tiny, pretty, orange lights twinkling at me from the leading edge of the enemy Spitfire's wing before I realised I was staring eternity in the face. I was looking down the barrels of machine guns and cannon that were trying to kill me. I realised I was being a bloody fool trying to out-turn a Spitfire in a Messerschmitt. I rammed the control column harshly forward and dived in as violent a manoeuvre as I had ever flown. Dust and dead flies flew up from the cockpit floor and my head banged against the roof of the cockpit canopy, but despite the heavy negative gravity forces imposed by the manoeuvre the fuel-injected engine continued to run sweetly. (Levett 1994)'

This is a very nice read :-

http://101squadron.com/101real/people/levett.html

Xiolablu3
04-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Just read some more on that site, really interesting stuff, this is a very good read :-

http://101squadron.com/101real/people/jcohen.html

Bumping the thread in case anyone can help with the original question, thanks guys.