PDA

View Full Version : Another not smart questions?

RFait
07-06-2007, 08:21 AM
What are the units in the icons, kilometers or miles? When changed the speedbar, the distances shown in icons do not change. Also, is there way to change Speedbar standard from KPH to MPH? For American planes, MPH is better.

I have also wondered why Speedbar only shows height in terms of 10 meters or 50 feet and speed in units of 10. More accurate would be best and no hard to program.

RFait
07-06-2007, 08:21 AM
What are the units in the icons, kilometers or miles? When changed the speedbar, the distances shown in icons do not change. Also, is there way to change Speedbar standard from KPH to MPH? For American planes, MPH is better.

I have also wondered why Speedbar only shows height in terms of 10 meters or 50 feet and speed in units of 10. More accurate would be best and no hard to program.

MaxMhz
07-06-2007, 08:55 AM
The Distance unit in icons is km.
Assign a key under Controls for 'Toggle Speedbar'

when you press this key repeatedly it will cycle through metric (kph, imperial(mph) naval(?) Knots
Altitude will also change unit accordingly; m/ft

If you get low enough precision will increase.
It realey does not matter if you fly at 8000 m or 7999 m http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif 1m or -1 makes a big difference though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
The indication is precice enough for the purpose. Very well implemented I would say.

Keep in mind speedbar shows True airspeed etc, unlike the instruments hat show indicated values.

RFait
07-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Thank you for fast reply. A key for speedbar is assigned, and I change when wanted. I was meaning to say, can it be set to always come up in MPH, not KPH?

Precision does not increase with low altitude. Is always 10 meters or 50 feet. Speed is also in increments of 10 MPH or KPH. This makes some difference when landing as 10 MPH error can makea stall when are landing. Sorry if it was not clear.

MaxMhz
07-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I don't think there is a way to determine what units speedbar initially displays. If it allways comes up with the same unit on your system [EDIT] deleted the stuff about the rcu file - it's for console commands, not keystroke commands.

Fly below 10m and you'll still see altitude... 1-9m http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Skycat_2
07-06-2007, 06:49 PM
The speedbar always defaults to Kilometers when you start a mission. Having to cycle through to Miles per Hour is a very minor hassle that is greatly outweighed by the blessing that the ability to do so was even included at all ... In IL-2 Sturmovik, Forgotten Battles and AEP days we were stuck with metric units.

As far as I know, the icons can't be changed to any other measurement system. I've gotten used to the idea that my guns aren't effective at 0.9 and that I should hold until the e/a is 0.4 or less away, even though the distance those numbers represent have no real meaning to me.

RFait
07-07-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks again for replies. I do not remember to see altitude change below 10M. But if it do this in metric, why not in feet?

For Skycat2, a Kilometer is about .6 of a mile. So .4 in the icon would be about .24 miles.

Crash_Moses
07-07-2007, 10:43 AM
That's just the way it was programmed, RFait. IL-2/1946 is a Russian game and just about everybody except America uses the metric system.

Rebel_Yell_21
07-07-2007, 12:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crash_Moses:
That's just the way it was programmed, RFait. IL-2/1946 is a Russian game and just about everybody except America uses the metric system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except that pilots and traffic controllers, pretty much worldwide, use knots and feet.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

RFait
07-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Thank again for so many things explained. Yes, it is true that pilots and ships all use knots as this is based by the size of the earth. 60 Nautical miles is 1? of the distance around earth at it equator. One nautical miles is 6090 feet.

I try flying very low in KPH and meters and the distance does not change below 10 meters except to show 0 meters. Same as 50 feet changes to show 0 feet.

Crash_Moses
07-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Ahhhhhh.....now I know what you're talking about! Yer talking about the speed bar!

Sorry...I thought you were talking about the icon distance indicator...my bad.

Yes...the speed bar only shows your speed and altitude in increments of 10 or 50 or whatever depending on what standard of measurement you're using.

The aircraft instruments will still give you the precise measurement. I think the speed bar was programmed to display a general indication of your height and altitude. This may be for performance reasons or it may have been done to simulate a quick glance at your dials...I dunno.

Does that answer your question? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif