PDA

View Full Version : Ezio's accent

Piflik
11-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Why has Ezio an Italian accent? That doesn't make any sense...

Now you might say: 'Because he is Italian.'

But then..why is he speaking English?

Consider the following. You have a movie in a foreign language (maybe German) and you want to translate it for an English audience, not just subtitles, but with full voices. Should every character have a German accent? Certainly not. It's a translation afterall. If a character in the German movie is, for example, Russian, he will have an accent in the original version and should have the same accent in the translation, but a character speaking his mother-tongue should never have an accent in any version of the movie. I think the same should apply to games...

Piflik
11-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Consider the following. You have a movie in a foreign language (maybe German) and you want to translate it for an English audience, not just subtitles, but with full voices. Should every character have a German accent? Certainly not. It's a translation afterall. If a character in the German movie is, for example, Russian, he will have an accent in the original version and should have the same accent in the translation, but a character speaking his mother-tongue should never have an accent in any version of the movie. I think the same should apply to games...

NuclearFuss
11-11-2010, 12:37 PM
That's actually a really good point. But the animus is a really cool machine, so I guess it just took the accents Ezio remembered and kept them by some long winded technological method.

PhiIs1618033
11-11-2010, 12:37 PM
The animus is translating things. Lucy told you in AC.

CasualMancer
11-11-2010, 12:38 PM
In one of the scenes of AC2 where Desmond comes out of the animus and you're able to talk to Rebecca and Shaun. Rebacca tells you she's still working out the kinks of the translation device inside the animus 2.0, which basically comes down to some of the bits of audio still being italian.

Piflik
11-11-2010, 01:09 PM
That doesn't make much sense in itself. Why would the Animus even need to translate anything? Desmond is not watching a movie, he is re-living memories. During this time he is Ezio (oe Altair) and thus he should speak Italian fluently...

Rakudaton
11-11-2010, 01:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Piflik:
That doesn't make much sense in itself. Why would the Animus even need to translate anything? Desmond is not watching a movie, he is re-living memories. During this time he is Ezio (oe Altair) and thus he should speak Italian fluently... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. He is still Desmond, just experiencing his ancestor's memories. To be able to speak Italian, he would have to learn it through the bleeding effect - which is possible, except that he did not follow Ezio during his childhood (ie when he learned Italian). Therefore the animus needs to translate it for him.

The bigger issue is - why does the animus have no problem translating long speeches (such as Minerva's) but still stumble repeatedly over single words (such as "grazie")?

Big-Boss_777
11-11-2010, 01:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Piflik:
That doesn't make much sense in itself. Why would the Animus even need to translate anything? Desmond is not watching a movie, he is re-living memories. During this time he is Ezio (oe Altair) and thus he should speak Italian fluently... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe english is an ideal language for desmond.. therefore he doesnt understand/speak arabic or italian and maybe niether the modern day templars or assassins..

Anyhow with the bleeding effect he might be able to but that would mean for desmond to stay longer in the animus which wud lead to severe causes..

Blackglasswar
11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
if it is bothering you then you can set the spoken language to Italian... if nothing else it is a good way to learn.

NuclearFuss
11-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Yes bit we were talking about accents here. If anyone's been on an online translator and got to speak the word it's just a computerised voice. Now how would the animus know what the person would sound like in English?

dchil279
11-11-2010, 01:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rakudaton:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Piflik:

Correct. But can Lucy, Shaun, and Rebecca understand what is being said while they are watching what Ezio does through the Animus? Probably not. And the reason for the Italian Accent is so that it makes you feel like you are in Italy and so that you know someone is a foreigner if they don't have an Italian accent (i.e. Girolamo Savonarola)

piercedthrough
11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Lol ok how bout next game Ubisoft just makes it in a completely foreign language so that no one can understand it...i agree that it doesn't make sense but honestly, does it matter?

lilbacchant
11-11-2010, 02:02 PM

Consider the following. You have a movie in a foreign language (maybe German) and you want to translate it for an English audience, not just subtitles, but with full voices. Should every character have a German accent? Certainly not. It's a translation afterall. If a character in the German movie is, for example, Russian, he will have an accent in the original version and should have the same accent in the translation, but a character speaking his mother-tongue should never have an accent in any version of the movie. I think the same should apply to games... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, I like that they're using accents. Ideally, from the standpoint of full immersion, I'd be able to understand the native languages of the characters in the story (whether game or movie). But since I can't, accents are a sort of compromise in that they add to the immersion (compared to "plain" english) while still allowing me to understand the dialogue.

Chewitt321
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I guess it is because the developers wanted to remind the players they were in Italy like when the characters occasionally say Italian words in their sentences.

lilbacchant
11-11-2010, 02:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sackboy411:
Yes bit we were talking about accents here. If anyone's been on an online translator and got to speak the word it's just a computerised voice. Now how would the animus know what the person would sound like in English? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three things to keep in mind:

1) They have access to advanced technology compared to us in RL (thanks to the PoE's).

2) The tonal frequencies of a particular person's voice could be resampled into the syllabels/consonants of the new language.

3) The animus is basing #2 (i.e., an individuals voice) on the requisite memory(ies). It's safe to assume that Ezio/Desmond doesn't have memories of the average streetwalker (and many other things), in which case the computer is making an educated guess, so to speak, to fill in the gaps and, therefore, enhance Desmond's virtual experience.

bokeef04
11-11-2010, 03:53 PM
it could also have to do with the fact that people complained that Altair didn't sound arabic, people just can't be pleased

personally i thought it wasn't too bad, i've heard Italians speak english, and it can be hard to understand, took me 5 minutes to work out one guy was saying volcano not mechano

also, you have to remember it's a game, as far as we know an animus doesn't exist(or their making these games for plausible deniability), maybe the animus uses source audio from those language tapes or something

lilbacchant
11-11-2010, 05:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bokeef04:
also, you have to remember it's a game, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What!? Blasphemer!!

Nick1021
11-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm not reading any of these posts, but only yours op. I don't know if someone already said so, but we found out in AC1 that Lucy changes the voices into English so they would understand.