PDA

View Full Version : I stink

ArendAkelig
11-04-2007, 02:59 PM
1. I have trouble building speed. I tried fiddeling with the prop pitch and all of those things etc. but i still cant even shake off a biplane in a plane that is supposively faster.

No matter what plane i'm flying (except for the jets) they all seem to climb just as fast as mine.

2. When i try an horizontal fight then, it allways seems to end up in going head on and if i try something else the ai enemy gets on my tail and i cant shake them off.

ArendAkelig
11-04-2007, 02:59 PM
1. I have trouble building speed. I tried fiddeling with the prop pitch and all of those things etc. but i still cant even shake off a biplane in a plane that is supposively faster.

No matter what plane i'm flying (except for the jets) they all seem to climb just as fast as mine.

2. When i try an horizontal fight then, it allways seems to end up in going head on and if i try something else the ai enemy gets on my tail and i cant shake them off.

VW-IceFire
11-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Is this in the QMB? If so QMB can sometimes be limiting in the time it takes to build speed and altitude.

Most pilots who have trouble with speed tend to either not be managing the engine correctly or have ignored the importance of trimming the aircraft properly. This is dependent on the aircraft being flown at the time as well, as not all have the same level of control. Learn to trim your aircraft so that the "ball is centered" on the attitude gage on the plane. Some planes have a slip indicator and no ball but it works the same way.

Sharpe26
11-04-2007, 03:16 PM
let's see what the problem is here.

it's nice of you to fiddle with the prop pitch and such things, but have you tried a dive to increase your speed? also, don't forget that throttle. With regards to climbing, if you see someone climbing, don't climb towards him to meet head on! this puts you at a disadvantage

with regards to your second point. Ignore the headons( unless you're being shot at) when an enemy is on your tail do everything to prevent them from getting a straight shot at you.

don't try turning with everybody, Zeros and I153s are amongst the best turners in the game. Use speed, or your superior firepower to your advantage.

are you Dutch btw?

Xiolablu3
11-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Think of the WW2 prop plane as a powered glider, it doesnt have a lot of power, to build up speed, you really need to be diving, it takes a while to build up speed in a straight line, and forget climbing fast unless you have a lot of energy from a previous dive.

You need to leanr about 'energy management'.

Think of your plane as a pendalum when in a a dive and climb, you can climb very fast if you have dived just before and have a lot of speed (or ENERGY). But if you are travelling slow, and pull you plane into a climb, you are going to climb very slowly, and not at a very steep angle.

Before you meet the enemy try and ensure you are above them. Then you can dive fast onto them, attack and zoom back up.

Try and conserve your energy (speed). DOnt blow it all in tight turns and manouvres if you can help it.

SOme things to rememeber :-

1. Speed OR Height = Energy. You can trade height for speed, or speed for height at any time, whichever you need at the time, but try not to lose both.

2. Low and Slow = dead. You are a sitting duck in this situation. You can neither dive hard and fast to escape, or use your high speed to escape.

3. Think High or Fast at all times. AFter take off get as high as possible before meeting the enemy. You want HIM to be the one floundering below you trying to evade your attacks, not YOU.

4. Dive down, shoot, Zoom back up. Dont perch on his tail if there are other enemies around, he will have support. Perching on his tail after diving down means you have to slow down to his speed, instantly you have lost all that energy.

4. Pick an good plane to learn with. I recommend the Spitfire MkIX (very good for new pilots in real life, and also in the game) , Bf109G2, Zero A6m3 or maybe the La5FN. Pick opponents from the same year, dont be fighting 1945 planes in a biplane. PLanes to avoid until you are more experienced include the Fw190 and the P51. Make sure you press the 'W' key for boost when needed.

Forget Prop Pitch and the like, learn the basics properly first. Just use the throttle. I NEVER use Prop Pitch and do pretty well in the game.

Hope this helps a bit.

Remember, its all about 'Energy Management'

han freak solo
11-04-2007, 03:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Is this in the QMB? If so QMB can sometimes be limiting in the time it takes to build speed and altitude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, QMB sux in this regard. Your spawned airspeed is so low, you usually lose altitude trying to get to a fighting airspeed. By then the AI may be on you.

Some planes are worse than others. The Ta-183 is an absolute dog starting in QMB.

Also, check out this PDF file. In Pursuit. (http://web.comhem.se/%7Eu85627360/inpursuit.pdf) It will show you some good stuff, including how to turn a head-on to your favor.

rnzoli
11-04-2007, 03:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ArendAkelig:
1. I have trouble <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">building speed</span>. I tried fiddeling with the prop pitch and all of those things etc. but i still cant even shake off a biplane in a plane that is supposively faster.

No matter what plane i'm flying (except for the jets) they all seem to <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">climb</span> just as fast as mine.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just highlight that you are expectating the build-up of speed while climbing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif The truth is that climbing is about building up altitude and often trade in some speed. Lightweight planes may be good at climbing, so try what was suggested earlier: start a shallow dive and build up speed that way, in order to stay out of range from biplanes.

Also, post information about
- game version
- your plane
- AI plane
- AI skill level

Without those details, don't expect detailed answers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif