PDA

View Full Version : 4.09 Licence?

Nicholaiovitch
11-13-2008, 04:12 AM
Chaps,

I hope this does not open a can of worms or go over old ground, but we seem to have reached a point where many would like to see the "differences" in version state, mods and attitude towards all of this moving to a point where we are all pulling the string in the same direction.

The fundermental point is that it takes investment to achieve what Oleg has achieved and without remuneration, it is unlikely that progress towards future projects in Flt. sims will continue.

Would in not be possible to issue an upgrade to include all that is now currently achieveable through a "software key" inserted into say....Unified Installer ver2.0, for which we would all pay for, with proceeds distributed to those that have both produced the original and perhaps those that have funded "the new era"?

This would enable a move to a legitimate and useable version for all at home, online and in the knowledge that the investment and work put in has been returned to those that are entitled to it.

How many would be willing to cough up 15-20 for a licence to enjoy this sim for another decade?

Is it feasable?

Nicholaiovitch

Nicholaiovitch
11-13-2008, 04:12 AM
Chaps,

I hope this does not open a can of worms or go over old ground, but we seem to have reached a point where many would like to see the "differences" in version state, mods and attitude towards all of this moving to a point where we are all pulling the string in the same direction.

The fundermental point is that it takes investment to achieve what Oleg has achieved and without remuneration, it is unlikely that progress towards future projects in Flt. sims will continue.

Would in not be possible to issue an upgrade to include all that is now currently achieveable through a "software key" inserted into say....Unified Installer ver2.0, for which we would all pay for, with proceeds distributed to those that have both produced the original and perhaps those that have funded "the new era"?

This would enable a move to a legitimate and useable version for all at home, online and in the knowledge that the investment and work put in has been returned to those that are entitled to it.

How many would be willing to cough up 15-20 for a licence to enjoy this sim for another decade?

Is it feasable?

Nicholaiovitch

DuxCorvan
11-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Feasible or not, they're not going to say anything, lad.
http://www.yamonsvotal.com/Images4/ghosttown.jpg

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-13-2008, 11:24 AM
This is not possible, the mods, while not illegal as they are, if they started changing for them then they would be profiting from intellectual property that is not theirs and that would be illegal.

Divine-Wind
11-13-2008, 11:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nicholaiovitch:
Chaps,

Is it feasable?

Nicholaiovitch </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No.

The modmakers would then be getting money by using someone else's property, which they weren't supposed to be tampering with in the first place.

And to be honest, they are doing well enough without the prospect of money. In fact, some are putting money into the site to keep it up.

Nicholaiovitch
11-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Sorry guys.......you have missed the point!

It is through communication and co-operation between the original designer of the sim and the current team that as you say are doing a great job that we will achieve agreement to make the new era legal and have everyone singing from the same hymn sheet!

What I'm suggesting is that enthusiasts talk to enthusiasts and establish common ground by means of remuneration "to the designers" of the original.

With the amount of cash we seem to throw at hardware to get Oleg's magnificent Flt sim to work, surely making an additional contribution of 2-5% of this money (as a license fee) towards his efforts is in all our interests to keep him on board.

The amount of effort and enthusiasm that is generated here and on other sites suggest that we ought to, just for a second, think about where this all started and do our level best to keep it going "the right way".

Nicholaiovitch

Scolar
11-13-2008, 12:31 PM
This isn't world of warcraft, I would not want to pay extra. I've already bought the disc!

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Still won't happen, Oleg is done with Il2, I doubt he would even take the time to issue a license to AAA to add "official" stuff.

Divine-Wind
11-13-2008, 02:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Still won't happen, Oleg is done with Il2, I doubt he would even take the time to issue a license to AAA to add "official" stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep. I doubt the prospect of a couple more dollars is going to steer him away from the Storm of War series, which I imagine will bring in A LOT more money that putting a price tag on some mods, even if they are incredibly done.

WTE_Galway
11-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Two seperate issues here:
1) Charge for the 4.09 official update
2) Charge for mods

1. Charging for the official 4.09 would be feasible and I personally would happily pay for the new content like the Slovakia Winter map. I would definitely pay if 4.09 was to include some of the completed but "missing" aircraft like the flyable Avia B534 and the AI Letov S328.

2. Forget about Oleg charging for the mods. Among other things the mods will probably come afoul of certain unfair and unethical licensing agreements Oleg was manipulated into and is now apparently legally bound by. There is stuff the modders can do for free that Oleg cannot.

JSG72
11-13-2008, 06:23 PM
1)So you would pay? What?...

2)Nobody has to pay for Mods, Modders do it for the love of the game/challenge/praise.And within their ability.

It is ultimately . Up to you. To decide what we want/And are willing to pay for.(Depending on our requirements/Wish list?)

M_Gunz
11-13-2008, 06:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The fundermental point is that it takes investment to achieve what Oleg has achieved and without remuneration, it is unlikely that progress towards future projects in Flt. sims will continue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fundamental pernt is that progress towards future projects has been moving along for years
already. The new series is Storm Of War, the upcoming first installment is Battle of Britain.

Perhaps you can persuade Ford Motors to start making slightly improved Model A's or Mustangs?
A few 100 million for tooling alone, they might even sell 1000's at some ridiculous price.

Nicholaiovitch
11-14-2008, 02:13 AM
OK guys I get the message.

I think this is now closed.

My aim was solely to try and get 4.09+ mods as an official new addition to the IL2 family in the way that would cover all aspects of licensing.

But like everything in life, too many different views and I guess we will continue with the status quo of switching between versions and secretly talking about versions that may or may not be legal.

I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to both the designer of this flt. sim and also to all that make such a wonderful contribution in terms of adding to it over the years.

Enough said I think!

Nicholaiovitch

general_kalle
11-14-2008, 03:23 AM
why would you WANT to pay money??? sounds like shootin yourself in the foot to me

Nicholaiovitch
11-14-2008, 04:41 AM
This is closed
Es terminado
C'est ferme

Just be grateful for what we have. That will do.
Nicholaiovitch

X32Wright
11-14-2008, 07:45 AM
licensed stuff does not mean you are allowed to reverse engineer and make 'derivatives' off an existing tangible form of anything.

So in short any mods actually violates the license agreement (end user agreement). This is why this wont ever happen ever. The way to have dont this is to have approached Oleg and UBI before it was done.

Ultimately however for me the mod was never a good idea. It actually devides the community now and breeds mistrust.