PDA

View Full Version : At what altitude would the bf109 k-4 be better than the g-10?

Afromike1
04-30-2009, 10:45 AM
In a normal public il2 server. Im usually flying up at 7k. I always fly the g-10 in late servers because I think its acrobatics are a lot better than the k-4. But if im going to be up high like that I was wondering if I should just trade in my g-10 for the k-4.

By the way, since the k-4 is said to be the best in high alt what exactly does the high alt do for the plane? Does it make the k-4 move better or does it maintain better air speed?

Afromike1
04-30-2009, 10:45 AM
In a normal public il2 server. Im usually flying up at 7k. I always fly the g-10 in late servers because I think its acrobatics are a lot better than the k-4. But if im going to be up high like that I was wondering if I should just trade in my g-10 for the k-4.

By the way, since the k-4 is said to be the best in high alt what exactly does the high alt do for the plane? Does it make the k-4 move better or does it maintain better air speed?

Bremspropeller
04-30-2009, 11:02 AM
AFAIK they had the same engine, so any advantage is only due to the K-4's cleaner lines.

That's at all altitudes.

Dunno how they compare in weight.

Kurfy's gonna be able to answer that in depth. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Flight_boy1990
04-30-2009, 12:07 PM
K-4 is heavier,and harder to turn,if you have to.

JtD
04-30-2009, 02:58 PM
The K-4 is the fastest and best climbing 109 in game. The G-10 enjoys a small handling advantage, because it's not quite as heavy. This is true at all altitudes.

The K-4 is modeled with a 605DCM engine, the G-10 with a 605DB. The DCM has 1844 hp (1942 with C3), the DB 1738.

It's like the fifth time I say this, Bremspropeller.

M_Gunz
04-30-2009, 03:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Afromike1:
By the way, since the k-4 is said to be the best in high alt what exactly does the high alt do for the plane? Does it make the k-4 move better or does it maintain better air speed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's more about how much worse the altitude affects the enemy than about getting any more out of the K-4.
Same goes for high speed in the K-4. Just trying to keep up runs the turn out of slower turn fighters.
Remember to change course every couple-few seconds though, those bullets are fast but don't turn well.

A thing to remember at high alt is that the higher you go, the faster your true speed is for any IAS.
At 8+ km alt the difference between indicated speed and true speed is pretty wide.
So the IAS you would make a tight turn at down low, at high alt your weight is moving faster and the
same turn G's will make a wider turn. In practical terms from IAS POV, the plane will feel heavier.

Afromike1
04-30-2009, 08:38 PM
So in terms of an alt of 7k, which me109 version would you suggest? The g-10 or the k-4?

Im mostly above the enemy at this height, so should I go with the k-4 since it seems better at BnZ? The increased speed and better climb rate sounds like a winner in my book for BnZ, I wouldnt care much about handling http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also, I heard that when firing the mk108 the k-4 has better stability and wont shake up the cockpit as much, thus giving more accuracy. Is this true?

JtD
04-30-2009, 11:12 PM
It depends on the opposition. I prefer the G-10 on the Western Front and the K-4 on the Eastern Front. On the Western Front you can mix it with the opposition on occasion, on the Eastern Front you better don't. If I had to decide for one at all occasions, I'd pick the K-4. At 7000meters you have 40km/h extra speed, which is a lot!

I don't think that the K-4 shakes much less when firing the MK108.

Afromike1
05-02-2009, 09:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JtD:
It depends on the opposition. I prefer the G-10 on the Western Front and the K-4 on the Eastern Front. On the Western Front you can mix it with the opposition on occasion, on the Eastern Front you better don't. If I had to decide for one at all occasions, I'd pick the K-4. At 7000meters you have 40km/h extra speed, which is a lot!

I don't think that the K-4 shakes much less when firing the MK108. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would it matter if you fly different types on different battlefields? Isn't performance the main issue when flying against an enemy? No matter where its from?

na85
05-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Over Europe, where you meet P51s, spits, and P47s you can actually make use of the G-10's small handling advantage.

On the eastern front, everything is significantly more maneuverable than the late war 109s, so there's no point in taking the G-10. Additionally the top speed advantage of the K would be handy in running circles around the La's and Yaks that accelerate so well.

Kurfurst__
05-03-2009, 03:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
Kurfy's gonna be able to answer that in depth. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can only tell the historic relation between the two. We actually have the G-10/U4 (G10 w. MK108), thats should weight exactly the same as the K-4, the diffo is just some 15-20 kg.. The K-4 had cleaner lines, and was some 20 km/h faster, engine boost being equal.

IIRC the ingame 'G-10' (=G10/U4) we have is a bit lighter, the K-4 is a bit heavier but its been a while I checked it w. il2compare.

Bremspropeller
05-03-2009, 06:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's like the fifth time I say this, Bremspropeller. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I said "had", not "have" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

M_Gunz
05-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Hey Mike, do you have IL2Compare 4.07 (http://war.by-airforce.com/downloads/il2compare-4.07.html) ?
It gives decent information for a lot of those questions, the answers come from comparing the graphs.

JtD
05-03-2009, 08:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Afromike1:

Why would it matter if you fly different types on different battlefields? Isn't performance the main issue when flying against an enemy? No matter where its from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

na85 has nailed it. On the Eastern Front you're either faster or dead. In the West you need to be faster than Spitfires, and these aren't particularly fast.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bremspropeller:

That's why I said "had", not "have" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roger that.