PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Switching

Doctor_Feelgood
11-21-2004, 11:40 AM
is there any way to switch between fuel tanks (the internal ones)? on the mustang i'd like to use the tank behind the seat first. or is this a function of taking a lesser fuel load? any tips and trix would help.

ucanfly
11-21-2004, 11:51 AM
There is no fuel management in this game. A pity really. The only kind of fuel management you do is make sure you don't run out of gas. In fact, in the Mustang at least the fuel is depleted incorrectly . IRL the Fuselage tank should drain first before the wing tanks, but it is backwards in this game. ACES high got this right before FB was even out.

vertical453
11-21-2004, 11:51 AM
i would think that it would automatically drain from the externals first and then, if they run out or if you drop them it switches to internal. Thats how it is in real life anyway...

Doctor_Feelgood
11-21-2004, 12:25 PM
irl the pilots would drain the tank behind the seat first, as a full tank caused the plane to have different handling characteristics because it moved the cg back.

Waldo.Pepper
11-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Dear Verticak453

"I would think that it would automatically drain from the externals first and then, if they run out or if you drop them it switches to internal. Thats how it is in real life anyway..."

No it wasn't. Do some more research.

heywooood
11-21-2004, 12:45 PM
...yeah - it seems all wrong to drain the main fuse tank and then - in a bounce - you drop the practically full droptanks..but the stang carried soooo much gas and the C/G was so adversly affected by the main tanks' full weight that the impractical was practical...

It really is too bad there is no fuel mgmnt in this game...it would add a whole new vintage to the whinery...

ucanfly
11-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Actually I've read that in the ultra long missions the P-51 pilots would have to drain the externals before the fuselage tank in order to have enough fuel. On shorter mission SOP was to use up a few gallons on the fuse tank to increase stability. The pucker factor must have been high if you were caught with full internal (esp w/full fuselage tank) fuel when you sighted some bandits.

vertical453
11-21-2004, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Dear Verticak453

"I would think that it would automatically drain from the externals first and then, if they run out or if you drop them it switches to internal. Thats how it is in real life anyway..."

No it wasn't. Do some more research. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that doesnt make sense. Your saying that pilots went into battle draining from there internals, then, when they got to the battle they would need to drop the externals (to heavy to dogfight in, hampers handling) leaving no fuel in the externals or internals?

heywooood
11-21-2004, 12:55 PM
..hmmm you know - I said "drain the fuse tank"..but I meant 'drain from' the main tank...from what I have read, the main fuselage tank was tapped about halfway and then the pilot was to switch to externals... the plane handled best with about a half a tank behind the pilot.

vertical453
11-21-2004, 12:57 PM
that makes much more sence. I would love to be able to choose which tanks i want to drain from in game, hopefully we will se it in the future.

Jungmann
11-21-2004, 02:35 PM
IIRC, the P-51 manual sez:

Take off on the mains

Shortly after, switch to the after fuselage tank because of carburetor vapor overflow. Apparently the carb used less than the fuel system provided, so there was an overflow line back to the fuselage tank to catch those few pints or gallons.

Then switch to the externals, and use them up.

Finally, the mains.

That was SOP for a ferry flight, with no anticipation of combat. Going into combat, yes, you'd want to reduce or completely drain the after fuselage tank, as the weight of the fuel resulted in a bad c.g. condition. There were major imitations in the manual for flight maneuvers with a full after tank.

Cheers,

Waldo.Pepper
11-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Dear vertical453

I guess you didn't do any more research. Here, I did some for you.

From Alfred Price World War Two Fighter Combat.

Pages 49-50

In the case of the F4U-I Corsair, the combat radius was further limited by the amount of protected fuel that was available when it went into combat. Only the main fuselage tank was self-sealing; the wing tanks and drop tank were not. The plan was, therefore, for the Corsair to cruise out to its combat area using first the fuel in the wing tanks, then the fuel out of the drop tank. When it reached its practical combat radius from its carrier the Corsair still had 112 imperial (134 U.S.) gallons remaining in its drop tank, which had to be released if the aircraft was to go into combat immediately; or the fuel could be used for a 2~-hour patrol at the limit of the practical combat radius. So much for the practical radius of action figures for the Corsair; they illustrate well the sort of operational constraints imposed by the need to operate aircraft in wartime without undue hazard. If a commander wished to conduct operations at distances beyond the practical combat radius of his aircraft he could do so, but first he had to ascertain that the weather and other conditions were favourable and the fuel reserves would not be really needed.

same book Page 57.

On the subject or fighter vulnerability, an interesting point to consider is the degree by which this was increased by the carriage of fuel in non-selfsealing drop tanks. Firing trials carried out in the U.S.A. late in the war showed that even in extreme cases, where the drop tanks were hit and blew open, the fuel fell clear downwards and no trailing fire resulted; exploding drop tanks showed no tendency to fragment, rather they split into large pieces which moved outwards at low velocity and caused little secondary damage. Since fire cannot exist without a plentiful supply of oxygen, the flames from a burning tank could not possibly creep up fuel lines and reach other tanks inside the aircraft. The trial showed that in most cases the only effect of the drop tank being hit while in place was that it absorbed a blow which the aircraft would otherwise have had to take. From all of this a general conclusion was reached: it was unnecessary for a lighter pilot to jettison his tanks unless he really needed the extra performance which resulted; even if he was surprised by an enemy and hit in the drop tank, almost invariably the latter could be released before it caused damage. It was an important finding, particularly for those responsible for planning operations from aircraft carriers where storage space for expendable items was always at a premium.

vertical453
11-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Dear pepper guy,

Thanks, i dont know to much, but at the time it didnt seem right, i understand what its saying though and now it makes sence.

roybaty
11-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Fuel Mgt. differs on each plan in RL. I too would love to see fuel options in the arming screen with the ability to set fuel quantities in each tank, and properly switch between them in flight. Maybe in BoB?