PDA

View Full Version : What is addon #3?

NekoReaperman
04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Addon #1: PE-2 addon

Addon #2: Il-10 addon, also with late war planes, rocket boosted Lagg, ect..

Addon #3: ... What?

Also, are you all worried that this will divide the community, i dont want to have multiple versions of the game installed at once, but i'm not willing to part with the online servers i frequent...

Danka

NekoReaperman
04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Addon #1: PE-2 addon

Addon #2: Il-10 addon, also with late war planes, rocket boosted Lagg, ect..

Addon #3: ... What?

Also, are you all worried that this will divide the community, i dont want to have multiple versions of the game installed at once, but i'm not willing to part with the online servers i frequent...

Danka

CapBackassward
04-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm just guessing, but it may be the stuff that Ian Boys are working on now. Burma map and a Norweigen map. Suppose to be more planes coming, as well.

Rick

lbhskier37
04-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Its supposed to be Russian 1946 stuff I believe.

Jaws2002
04-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Some scary La-7 with a jet up the a$$. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

ElAurens
04-10-2006, 05:02 PM
VVS 1946 is th ethird and final installment of this series.

Here's hoping for a Tu 4.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

NekoReaperman
04-10-2006, 05:43 PM
aww! so the IL-10 addon is just that, one plane?

Kinda lame addons overall i think

Nimits
04-10-2006, 06:06 PM
I think they are adding some Manchuria/IJAAF stuff to go along with it.

lbhskier37
04-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Il-10 addon is supposed to have a bunch of Japanese content if I'm not mistaken. It's supposed to be based on all the fighting russia did with japan, so very early war and very late war.

ElAurens
04-10-2006, 07:19 PM
The Manchuria/IL 10 Add On will have the Ki 27, Ki21(ai) perhaps the Ki 43 II and one or two more Imperial Japanese aircraft, plus whatever VVS aircraft comes with it.

Some of you guys really need to do a better job of being aware. None of this is news, it's been known for weeks now.

VW-IceFire
04-10-2006, 08:03 PM
This stuff is smattered about the boards so you folks should have a look around.

Addon #3 is the VVS 1946 addon package that finishes off some what-if scenarios with some very cool experimental and service line aircraft. Some of the first Russian jets and some late war experiments with fitting rockets on conventionally driven fighters like the La-7R. Most of these probably would have seen service in one form or another had they been needed and had the war gone badly. This addon is decidedly more for the Russian interest than the other two as the aircraft types are somewhat exotic...BUT...there is supposed to be at least one new map featuring the Ukraine apparently which would be useful to us in the historical wartime sense as well. I forget who said it but apparently its supposedly a beautiful and well constructed map.

IL-10 Manchuria gives us the IL-10 which is an IL-2 on speed and steroids at the same time plus a bunch of Japanese aircraft such as the N1K-2J, the Ki-43-II, the Ki-27 (vital for those early war scenarios), J2M5, AI Ki-21, AI B6N Tenzan (for carrier ops), and apparently some others that we don't know about.

We haven't heard but I wonder if there will also be a P-63A. Not sure how useful that would be to us but it would be historical for the Manchuria area. This was a short and sharp campaign where the Soviets overwhelmingly overran the Japanese positions....again the map is useful to us in a number of ways and I can't help but wonder if it will present us both with a good what-if battleground as well as a substitute Korean battleground for the folks that are working on that theater with new skins for our current aircraft and probably some missions. It could be done convincingly.

These are good addons I think.

RE: Splitting the community...you're either going to have them or not. You can't get addon 3 without addon 1 and 2 so you might as well get all 3 and get yourself upto speed...if you want to be online anyways.

NekoReaperman
04-10-2006, 11:10 PM
was hoping for a CBI addon :-(

I dont like the 44'-46' airplane combat, i am more of a 1939-1943 kinda guy....

I mean why model the Do-335, BF-109Z, ME-163 or Go-229, when we dont even have a Spitfire MkI, or a Do-17?

jasonbirder
04-11-2006, 02:26 AM
Well i for one can't wait to get my hands on the new add ons...
PE2 expansion is going to be the first time we've seen a commercially created static campaign - so thats going to be interesting to see...
The Il10 expansion has such a fantastic planeset coming I can't wait - plus i've always had an interest in those Manchurian Battles ever since palying those two scenarios in the ASL Code of Bushido boxed set (any other ASLers on this forum !!!)
Don't know much about the VVS 46 Expansion...but new stuff for this game rarely disappoints does it...
And theres still the Norway & Burma maps to come too...the FB/AEP/PF future still looks bright...

panzerd18
04-11-2006, 03:00 AM
I'm sad its going to be more Russian stuff. Why not a few Western maps and missions? They have a lot of the western aircraft and bombers so all thats lacking is the right maps.

JG52Uther
04-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Check out a reply to a certain post in the ready room for proposed add-on content from the man himself http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

lbhskier37
04-11-2006, 06:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by panzerd18:
I'm sad its going to be more Russian stuff. Why not a few Western maps and missions? They have a lot of the western aircraft and bombers so all thats lacking is the right maps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When was the last time russian stuff was added to this russian game? WTF?! In the beginning this game was only eastern front, and since then just about every western aircraft that flew a descent amount of service has been added, while the eastern front which was never close to complete was neglected. Again this attitude is why I was pissed with the direction this sim went ever since AEP was released!

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-11-2006, 07:15 AM
The gist of this sim has always been centered around the Eastern front. I , for one, am excited about additional EF content and a slight return to the roots of what IL2 and FB were all about.

Having a sim that puts me in the cockpit of previously obscure birds (i.e. Yaks, La's and Sturmoviks) was enlightening, educational and loads of fun. The projected add-ons should round it out further and continue with the same emphasis.

The addition of some western content certainly appealed to a large part of the community and considering the source we should be thankful for it. I know I am. PF brought in yet another dimension and being able to fly some aircraft and areas from the PTO definitely fleshed out an already excellent sim.

I have some preferences, FM gripes and things I'd like to see tweaked a bit too, but I'm no programmer. Until I am, I'll be thankful for what I've gotten to date and excited about what is in the pipeline for an already excellent sim.

The fact that it IS, and will continue to be for some time, the most comprehensive, detailed flightsim on the market is amazing considering it has been on my rig for over 3 years and is still supported by its developers and continues to get content added...amazing.

TB

NekoReaperman
04-11-2006, 08:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lbhskier37:
every western aircraft that flew a descent amount of service has been added </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4/3301-3400/gal3358_Spitfire_Stark/01.jpg

djetz
04-11-2006, 09:30 AM
"Descent" n.

1. The act or an instance of descending.
2. A way down.
3. A downward incline or passage; a slope.

The word you want is "Decent" (no s)

panzerd18
04-11-2006, 10:12 AM
All the western aircraft are there. All that is needed is the western maps and we have another game.

ElAurens
04-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Reaperman, the Spitfire Mk. I is reserved for BoB.

It's really not hard to understand why.

Aeronautico
04-11-2006, 02:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">PE2 expansion is going to be the first time we've seen a commercially created static campaign </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Hum... and the original IL-2 Sturmovik? And Operation Barbarossa, Wings over Waves/Jungle, Rebirth of Honor? Plus some more that can't recall?

Extra content in the #3 addon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oleg_Maddox:
Also in the 3rd add-on originallywas planned only Russian experiemental and small series production aircraft from 1942 to 1946. It was called VVS 46. But using the time before the release we ordered to make in additional several more as Soviet as German aircaft.
I can say that except one or maybe two planes there - there were no one present on the market in any previous sims. Be sure. You will be very impressed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/7791057034/p/2

VW-IceFire
04-11-2006, 05:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NekoReaperman:
was hoping for a CBI addon :-(

I dont like the 44'-46' airplane combat, i am more of a 1939-1943 kinda guy....

I mean why model the Do-335, BF-109Z, ME-163 or Go-229, when we dont even have a Spitfire MkI, or a Do-17? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ian Boys Burma map will probably release between the addons or after them (you can bet that you'll probably need the addons anyways).

That said...the Burma map is more of a RAF theater but I'm looking forward to the unique mix of Beaufighters, Spitfire VIIIs (first historical map for them BTW), Thunderbolt IIs (P-47D-27's), and Hurricane IIs against Ki-43-IIs and a variety of other Japanese aircraft. Still...you can probably produce a very convincing early war scenario and with the Ki-21, Ki-27, and some of the early Japanese aircraft we've got coming in the IL-10 Manchuria addon you'll be able to take that and run.

I know a bunch of folks are savouring fights between Ki-27s and Flying Tiger P-40s.

Nimits
04-11-2006, 05:47 PM
I'll confess a barely passing familiarity with the details of southeast Asian geography. Did the AVG or USAAF ever operate in the area of Burma covered by Ian's map?

VW-IceFire
04-11-2006, 09:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nimits:
I'll confess a barely passing familiarity with the details of southeast Asian geography. Did the AVG or USAAF ever operate in the area of Burma covered by Ian's map? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not sure personally...I suspect they didn't or only in limited numbers...but the terrain is going to be similar...you could do a US campaign without too much of a stretch.

Or just fly RAF Thunderbolts.

ComradeBadinov
04-11-2006, 09:20 PM
What happened to the A-20 with the glass nose?.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

NekoReaperman
04-11-2006, 10:11 PM
A-20C? i think its still on....

Did the A-20C have any forward firing guns?

if so it will be useless for level bombing :-( at least in AI form

Beaufort-RAF
04-12-2006, 02:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NekoReaperman:

if so it will be useless for level bombing :-( at least in AI form </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it does & after trying to use the B25J for RAF medium bomber ops I know exactly what you mean.

joeap
04-12-2006, 03:58 AM
Looking forward to this all but I also want NORWAY!

major_setback
04-12-2006, 04:56 AM
I think that this might come with the 1946 add-on, this is from an earlier thread on on of these forums:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/grab0007B16.jpg

3.JG51_BigBear
04-12-2006, 12:52 PM
That's a practical aircraft http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif. I hope it has more than 90 rounds of ammo.

Tooz_69GIAP
04-12-2006, 04:22 PM
That's a Bi-6 - a Bi-1 with ramjets on it's wings. You use the tail rocket to get to altitude, then once at the right altitude, you fire up the ram jets. It should have 2x20mm with 45 rounds each, I think - same as the Bi-1.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what bizarreness exists in this VVS-46 add-on. It will be exceedingly interesting to set up a server with all of the jets on it once this add-on comes out way!!

Have any of you tried setting up a quick mission at 7,500m with all jets?? I tell you, it's one of the more difficult battles I've tried against the AI. You really have to think about your positioning more, and the capabilities of your aircraft. Also the speeds at swhich you are travelling make accurate shooting that much more important as you get much shorter firing windows!

VW-IceFire
04-12-2006, 04:30 PM
A-20C? i think its still on....

if so it will be useless for level bombing :-( at least in AI form </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Apparently it did...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
4 forward firing .30-cal. machine guns in the lower forward fuselage, two .30-cal. machine guns in a flexible dorsal position, and one .30-cal. machine gun in a flexible ventral (tunnel) position plus provisions for 2,400 lbs of bombs maximum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/attack/a3/a3-5.htm

Interesting...not nearly as effective as the 6 .50cals. I guess these were mostly for strafing very light targets.

darkhorizon11
04-12-2006, 11:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:
Have any of you tried setting up a quick mission at 7,500m with all jets?? I tell you, it's one of the more difficult battles I've tried against the AI. You really have to think about your positioning more, and the capabilities of your aircraft. Also the speeds at swhich you are travelling make accurate shooting that much more important as you get much shorter firing windows! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you say Korean add-on at some point? Probably the most transitional war for aircraft!

darkhorizon11
04-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah theres a thirteen page thread running around, Sasqon was cool enough to give us a heads up of what aircraft were gonna see in it!

|CoB|_Spectre
04-16-2006, 07:32 AM
The 11th hour release of the three addons appears to be a swan song for the FB+AEP+PF series. Perhaps they're looking to buy time until the release of BoB while finishing up some aircraft people have been asking for for years.

The IL-10 addon will be interesting for reason of the Manchuria map and additional Japanese aircraft. However, from an historical viewpoint, the Soviet move against the Japanese in Manchuria only came about a month before the surrender by Japan, so we're talking a very short lived action. I found a thesis centered on the campaign at:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1986/RMF.htm

VW-IceFire
04-16-2006, 09:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by |CoB|_Spectre:
The 11th hour release of the three addons appears to be a swan song for the FB+AEP+PF series. Perhaps they're looking to buy time until the release of BoB while finishing up some aircraft people have been asking for for years.

The IL-10 addon will be interesting for reason of the Manchuria map and additional Japanese aircraft. However, from an historical viewpoint, the Soviet move against the Japanese in Manchuria only came about a month before the surrender by Japan, so we're talking a very short lived action. I found a thesis centered on the campaign at:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1986/RMF.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not sure whats on the Manchuria map but there was fighting between Japan and the Soviet Union in 1938 with I-15 and I-16s against Ki-21s and A5Ms.

|CoB|_Spectre
04-16-2006, 11:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Not sure whats on the Manchuria map but there was fighting between Japan and the Soviet Union in 1938 with I-15 and I-16s against Ki-21s and A5Ms. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, and there were periodic border skirmishes between the Soviets and Japanese until the cease-fire took effect on 16 September 1939 and the eventual signing of the Neutrality Pact on 13 April 1941. Of course the Soviets abrogated the pact four years later after achieving a masterfully well hidden buildup. I can see your point in the pre-cease-fire opportunities for the early aircraft.

Nothing says you won't be able to build missions and campaigns using the IL-10 on maps we currently have, but action between the Soviets and Japanese in Manchuria in which the IL-10 would have been employed was of short duration. This should not dissuade anyone from enjoying it, but the "canned" campaigns were never of any major interest to me.

SnailRunner
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
IL2 forgotten battles.......oooh thats the title...forgot....

I look forward to all this stuff, i will pay for them with no problem. The reson i first startet to play this game was bacause of the theater. Russia. Despite all the problems with "missing" planes and stuff, im happy to have recieved so mutch in the past for free, that i have no problem with a few pay for addons. All the western theater dudes will get there hardware in BOB and the "theater modules" that will came after original game release, and i doubt we will se anything "Eatsern" for a looong time in BOB. You doent like the addons its werry simple, doent buy them. Mr `O have all ready done more than enough for us "I want i want" community dudes.

And for the 1000 time, just to say it one more time. The 3rd party modelers have not made planes you like, they have made the planes they like, thats why your "I want" plane isnt in game.

No B-17. Well, as the modelers have statet over and over and over again, it takes to long time to make, and for 1 bomber they could make 8-10 fighters. But i think that the allied would have no prob lacking the spitfires and other planes so they could have one nice bomber..

Think it took Jippo more than 3 years to complete the JU-88 and that things doent have so many engines or positions as the B-17

Be happy with what you got, buy if you like doent if you dislike, but please stop whining at the boards.....

Just stuff from the heart lol....

darkhorizon11
04-18-2006, 11:51 PM
One things that bugs me about this game is that people define the entire add-on by the number of aircraft being added. Tens of thousands of hours have gone into these add-ons along with the patches were FREE.

Total between the three I guess were getting about 13 flyables and 10 more non. But also theres a myriad of ground objects and vehicles on their way and if I've understood correctly somewhere around a dozen new official campaigns, both historical and non. Personally when I buy these I'm more or less doing it out of respect for Mr. Maddox and 1c nvm the fact that the amount of material warrants paying for it.

This community is WAYYYY to pessimistic. People spend more time whining about what they don't have rather than playing. Its a great game with huge possiblities and these new add-ons will only compliment the present game with realistic scenarios and new options both historical and NON.

The thing I like best is the way the game really comes full circle. With the ability to build and design our own missions we can easily create campaigns that build upon what we already have in game and get entirely new scenarios. For example when the A-20C will be added it will not only be great for the eastern front but it was also used as a bomber for the RAF in North Africa and saw some limited service in the Pacific. We already have thejority of the aircraft for a realistic Norway campaign once the map arrives! Although the Lancs missing (Pe-8 is a great replacement) we have Corsairs, FW 190s, Beaus, and the Tirpitz. The Italian Fiats and Macchis that were recently added not only are good for the Italian map on the way they were also used extensively in Russia and Belorussia throughout the war. This makes the holes smaller to fill I remember when the game initially came out adding any new map or a proposal of a new theater required new units, aircraft, and ground objects for anything close to realistic.

Whew that post was a lot longer than I had plans, oh well I hope you all feel the same excitement I do!

WTE_Galway
04-19-2006, 01:16 AM
must admit the missing do-17 mentioned earlier has always struck me as downright weird .. some of the major BoB raids on London were D0-17's, maybe there is simply not enough info on them

meanwhile .. addons and russian front ones as well .. wahoooo !!! i am eager and waiting

JG53Frankyboy
04-19-2006, 04:31 AM
well, BoB will get a Do-17Z , at least as AI......

in PFm we have 2 out of the 3 main german bomber types , not bad i think. and both are flyable !

koivis
04-20-2006, 03:00 AM
What? 2 out of 3 main German bomber types? I wouldn't consider Do 17 as a main type, since it was retired in 1942 and planes like He 177, Do 217, Me 410 and Ju 188 saw at least as much use. But not even close to the widespread use of He 111 and Ju 88, which were the two main types though the whole war.