PDA

View Full Version : Will the TIR3 Vector Expansion work from behind?

wazooda
06-05-2005, 11:54 AM
I have a 24" inch Sony monitor and thus sit pretty far back from my screen.

The upshod of this is that I cannot place my TIR2 on top of my monitor as I seem to be too far away for accurate tracking.

Thus, I have mounted my TIR2 on a camera tripod which I place behind my chair and I wear my TIR hat backwards. I then set the TIR software to reverse the x and y axis so it all works from behind.

I'm now thinking about upgrading to the Pro3 system with vector expansion. However, I want to make sure in advance that the vector system and software will work if I have my hat backwards and the TIR behind me.

Please advise.

Wazoo

wazooda
06-05-2005, 11:54 AM
I have a 24" inch Sony monitor and thus sit pretty far back from my screen.

The upshod of this is that I cannot place my TIR2 on top of my monitor as I seem to be too far away for accurate tracking.

Thus, I have mounted my TIR2 on a camera tripod which I place behind my chair and I wear my TIR hat backwards. I then set the TIR software to reverse the x and y axis so it all works from behind.

I'm now thinking about upgrading to the Pro3 system with vector expansion. However, I want to make sure in advance that the vector system and software will work if I have my hat backwards and the TIR behind me.

Please advise.

Wazoo

PriK
06-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Yes, it should work from behind as I believe you can invert the axes but I'll check when I get home. You may want to make a quick post on the NaturalPoint forums.

Butonga
06-05-2005, 03:22 PM
There is an Invert option for the Z axis. I didn't try playing it in game, but did invert my Z axis and check head tracking via the software and the view zooms in as my head moves back (Track IR still in front of me), so if I actually had the Track IR behind me, the veiw would zoom in if I moved my head foreward.

So foreward or backwards, looks to me like 3DoF that the vector expansion gives in Lock-On works fine. Even if it didn't, I would say to get the Track IR3 Pro with vector expansion. I had just a Track IR3 Pro before, but had to buy a whole new one after I broke my first one. I got the vector expansion along with it and the thing is just way more smooth and far far less jittery then it was compared to when I just had the Track IR3 Pro.

GAU-8
06-05-2005, 04:30 PM
yes it does work behind your head. due to other criteria, i could not have a fresnel lens set-up, and track-ir at the front of monitor. so the track-IR is now behind me, with a backwards cap.

wazooda
06-05-2005, 05:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GAU-8:
yes it does work behind your head. due to other criteria, i could not have a fresnel lens set-up, and track-ir at the front of monitor. so the track-IR is now behind me, with a backwards cap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that is also true with the Vector Expansion?

Wazoo

wazooda
06-05-2005, 05:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PriK:
Yes, it should work from behind as I believe you can invert the axes but I'll check when I get home. You may want to make a quick post on the NaturalPoint forums. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for checking. I left a message on the NaturalPoint board yesterday and await a response.

Thanks again!

Wazoo

GAU-8
06-06-2005, 02:20 AM
ya know what..

im not sure, i havent played FS2004 in a bit, last time i did, the track-IR unit was in front..rather than behind me now.

ill go check that.