PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing end of a long SHIII career...

TheRealMatrix
04-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Hi!

Silent Hunter III is the best Subsim ever, but I'm utterly disappointed by one experience:

When I made it through all those missions with endless hours of commanding various uboats and sinking over 2.000.000 Tons of enemy shipping, earning many medals, in May 1945 the war is finally over.

How I know this? Because everything is as usual, only when I click on "next mission" there is a small info window coming up saying

"The war is over!"
(click ok)

-and thats all?? No newspaper? No end-sequence? Not a word about all I've reached in the career, no music, no video, no picture, nothing at all ???

This is definately NOT how a great sim's career should end.

TheRealMatrix
04-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Hi!

Silent Hunter III is the best Subsim ever, but I'm utterly disappointed by one experience:

When I made it through all those missions with endless hours of commanding various uboats and sinking over 2.000.000 Tons of enemy shipping, earning many medals, in May 1945 the war is finally over.

How I know this? Because everything is as usual, only when I click on "next mission" there is a small info window coming up saying

"The war is over!"
(click ok)

-and thats all?? No newspaper? No end-sequence? Not a word about all I've reached in the career, no music, no video, no picture, nothing at all ???

This is definately NOT how a great sim's career should end.

Celeon999
04-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Would you rather like to see how you spend the next years in an pow camp ? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BlueHawk_1
04-18-2006, 09:37 AM
I thought that at the last days of the war, Doentz or however it's spelled, ordered the Captains to scuttle their boats, which they did.

Kaleun1961
04-18-2006, 09:50 AM
The U-boats were ordered to surface and follow a certain procedure to surrender. I think they were supposed to fly a black flag and follow orders to proceed to a port of interment. A few scuttled and a few sailed to South America. I'm not at home right now with access to my U-boat library, but reciting this from memory.

tbarak
04-18-2006, 10:02 AM
I can see how such an abrupt end is disappointing. Most games nowadays have some sort of cut scene or something. Plus I understand the sense one gets upon accomplishing a lot over a considerable time, then not really receiving a fitting end. I guess realism mavens are pleased since the end of the real story wasn't very pleasant either. The devs were probably rushed by the greedy distributor and figured the ending was adequate.

At least they could have considered sending the famous Dornitz final broadcast that he sent to his u-boats upon final defeat. Would have been simple to do and probably a more fitting way to end a hard-earned, successfully completed campaign.

general_kalle
04-18-2006, 10:02 AM
a cetain camptain didnt surrender his ship instead he attacked a large british taskforce going out of scapa flow
u can play his mission in SHII
u got a type XXX

pike1964
04-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Got this from uboat.net

"In September 1944 he took over the command of the new "Elektro-boot" U-2511, the first and only Type XXI boat to go on patrol*. On this patrol in the last days of the war, in the hours immediately after the cease-fire orders on 4 May, 1945, Korvettenkapit√¬§n Schnee had an excellent opportunity to sink the British cruiser HMS Norfolk. Simulating an actual attack, he approached the vessel, evaded the destroyer screen, closed to point-blank range, and then simply left the area."
Unquote

And see this page: http://www.uboat.net/fates/scuttled.htm

CRSutton
04-19-2006, 02:11 PM
At least you did not get turned over to the Russians.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Josef_Reiter
04-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Read IRON COFFINS and you will get an idea as to how the "End" was. You will find clicking the "OK" button is a much better way to end http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TheRealMatrix
04-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Some of you don't seem to understand...

I don't care about historical reality in this case, I just want something satisfying to happen at the end of my long, exhausting career to make me feel good. I continue pushing all my effort into it till the end, because I'm curious what will happen in the end.

I could have stopped like 20 missions and ago and thinking - ok, imagine the war is over message comes, I clicked ok, and thats it.

I even feel a bit betrayed for my time I "wasted" in pushing my "career" forward, because my extreme success would not even be considered in the end - I sunk more than 2.000.000 Tonns of allied shipping!!! with my crew and my skill and my dedication. And thats not even worth a single word?

No guts, no glory, no honor, no defeat, no victory, no surrender, N O T H I N G .

Do you understand me?

joeap
04-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Yes I do. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

Antonin1957
04-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Good point. After all that struggle to see things through to the end, you should get more than a simple message 'the war is over.' I'm very surprised the designers did not add some candy to that message.

Perhaps the player should get the option of scuttling his boat, surrendering it or sailing to South America.

Perhaps the final scene should be of 'you' sitting in a pub years after the war's end, hoisting a beer to fallen comrades.

altstiff
04-26-2006, 10:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRealMatrix:
Some of you don't seem to understand...

I don't care about historical reality in this case, I just want something satisfying to happen at the end of my long, exhausting career to make me feel good. I continue pushing all my effort into it till the end, because I'm curious what will happen in the end.

I could have stopped like 20 missions and ago and thinking - ok, imagine the war is over message comes, I clicked ok, and thats it.

I even feel a bit betrayed for my time I "wasted" in pushing my "career" forward, because my extreme success would not even be considered in the end - I sunk more than 2.000.000 Tonns of allied shipping!!! with my crew and my skill and my dedication. And thats not even worth a single word?

No guts, no glory, no honor, no defeat, no victory, no surrender, N O T H I N G .

Do you understand me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel the same way about the way you die in SH3, nadda. One last pic of your sub saying "you are dead" or something to that effect.

At least give us a death sequence or something.

Werner_U-292
04-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah good point. I was also going to mention the lack of a good death scene. I feel dissappointed after a good DD chase ending in a death all you see is a sudden screenshot of your boat and "you are dead" message. I mean, what the hell is that. Ive just entered 1945 and got moved to Bergen. I have stayed part of the 7th Flotilla the whole time and havent had one death of crew mates, all survivng the 47 patrols I have completed so far. I've never missed a patrol region and have always come in with 100% hull (say for a couple times). I was really looking forward to the end of my carrier with some kind of nice screenshot or final stats or movie clip or something, but if "The war is over" is all you get then I think I may as well end now. Bergen is a hell of a base to enter and exit each time anyway. Even some a credit screen with a good theme song would've been nice, alas one of the best Subsims ever made must end in such a poor way. What a bust. I think I'll go online a blow up some friendly UBoats or something - lol.

Well, thats enough for me to call it a night, all I can say is SH4 should be amazing if it even gets released.

Stingray-65
04-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Hmmmm I've not even thought about what happens at the end of the game. Does anyone know what happens if you happen to be out on patrol when Germany surrenders? Does BdU send you a message? If so, I think my crew & I shall attempt to sail to South America. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif