PDA

View Full Version : video card question- please help!!

Brenhen
11-28-2004, 03:19 PM
hey everyone, here is a question for you. i have a radeon 9800 pro graphics card. i read on another post that you should run this in open gl mode for the video options. mine only works in directx mode. in open gl mode the game is extremely slow and even the mouse pointer jumps from spot to spot on the menus. is this wrong and is there an easy way to fix it? also, when i run it in directx graphic mode, it won't let me use the perfect mode for terrain detail- it greys out that selection and won't let me choose it. if anyone knows what is going on or if you have any ideas for me, i would really appreciate the help. thanks a lot.

Lav69
11-28-2004, 03:29 PM
I have a ATI Radeon 9700 pro, 128meg and it runs the game better in OpenGL. I use omega drivers (catalyst 4.2). Maybe your driver install was bad. Do you use a driver cleaner (i.e. driver cleaner)? What card did you have previously and did you fully get rid of those drivers, especially if it was an Nvidia card. How much system ram do you have? What size processor? Do you gefrag often? How much do you have running in the background? All kinds of factors could be affecting your performance. Do you have any viruses?

Brenhen
11-28-2004, 05:02 PM
i just had to have my whole hard drive erased and reinstalled due to spyware and adware, so it should be clean of all viruses. i have 69GB free hard drive space and i don't run the game with other applications running at the same time. the previous card was an nvidia card, but i had the ati card installed by the guy who reinstalled my hard drive for me, and he is someone we have used a lot in the past who really knows what he is doing, so i trust that he installed it correctly. i have to say that the game runs well in the directx mode, but i didn't know if opengl was better or why i was not able to select some of the graphics options. thanks for taking the time to help me out.

RocketDog
11-28-2004, 05:15 PM
Perfect mode is available only in OpenGL, so it is greyed out if you run in DirectX. I am surprised to hear that you are having problems running in OpenGL since the 9800Pro is a reasonable graphics card. If the cursor is dragging then there is definitely something wrong. As a rule of thumb, Pacific Fighters should run at about the same frame rates and about as smoothly in OpenGL as DirectX.

It is no great effort to update your drivers, and that may well cure your problems. I would recommend you try the Catalyst 4.10 drivers first. Download from the ATi site and follow the instructions. Easy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. NB, the Catalyst 4.11 are more recent but are troublesome and buggy with Pacific Fighters.

Finally, you will get a much better response to techie questions in the Community Help forum and remember to include some details of your PC spec and Catalyst driver versions.

Good Luck!

Regards,

RocketDog.

Brenhen
11-28-2004, 11:46 PM
rocketdog and lav69, thanks a lot for the info. i really appreciate the time you guys took to help me out. i will watch were i post in the future to. thanks again.

brennan