PDA

View Full Version : Patch 4.01 and HW requirements

Insuber
06-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Dear All,

Does anybody know the minimum hardware requirements of the FB-AEP-PF patched with the 4.01m? I feel a bit short with my Athlon 1.4/Radeon 8500/512 MB Ram.

Regards,
Insuber

Insuber
06-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Dear All,

Does anybody know the minimum hardware requirements of the FB-AEP-PF patched with the 4.01m? I feel a bit short with my Athlon 1.4/Radeon 8500/512 MB Ram.

Regards,
Insuber

XyZspineZyX
06-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Hello,

I should say that even for IL2 alone the 1.4 is a little short! Do not go for the minimum hardware but for as big as you can aford. Otherrwise I can say you that a even a 1.7 pentium IV is a little short, with mine 1.7 I need to reduce my graphic and SOUND setting to maximum "medium".

Have a nice day.

Sensei.

Insuber
06-21-2005, 01:47 PM
It's the answer I was afraid of, I have to spend few quids on that ...

As soon as I save enough mney I am evaluating to build a machine around the following core:

- Athlon 64 3000+
- 2 gigs RAM
- Radeon X800 128 MB

Hope this will be enough for some years.

Regards,
Insuber

Tallyho1961
06-21-2005, 03:06 PM
You can see what I've got in my sig, which I would say is in the lower-mid range of the zone required for ideal IL2 performance.

With this hardware I can run 4.01m at 1024x768, Perfect Landscape, Water=O (dropped from Water=1 to compensate for FPS loss based on new clouds), Vsynch always on, 4xAA and no AF. With these settings I get an average of 28-29 FPS in the Kamikaze.ntrk, with lows of 7-8 and highs in the mid-80's.

In regular gameplay this means that 90% of the time, online or offline, I get acceptably smooth performance. I do, however, run into slowdowns in particularly heavy AAA situations, in very heavy dogfights, and just every now and then for no apparent reason.

Looking ahead, I'll probably shop for a new mobo/CPU combo in early 2006 because I assume things will only get more demanding as time goes on. I'll be aiming for a substantial increase in FPS, then see how my 9800PRO deals with it before thinking about a new card.

Hope this helps.

Insuber
06-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the help!

Regards,
Insuber

strykablue
06-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Mate I run AMD64 3500, 2 gig DDRam, 2 6800GT in SLI mode and overclock graphics card,run all perfect except water, run in 1280x1024 and looks excellent, on line average 45fps can peak to 60fps.
Think this is about as good as the graphics get and looks awesome. Whilst I can run perfect water it seems to decrease the overall graphics quality somewhat, and to tell the truth a frame rate under 40fps does start to give jerky movements when panning with TrackIR.
IMHO get at least a 256mb card and 1Gig RAM or you'll be dissapointed if you like the graphics.This game eats the frame rate.
cheers

GerritJ9
06-22-2005, 02:34 AM
1 GB RAM is an absolute minimum, I think. I could not run the B-239 mission "Hasse Wind", for instance, at 1 GB without the screen freezing for 10 seconds.......... enough time for somebody to sneak on my tail and shoot me down. This happened in 3.04, 4.0 and 4.01. Added 512 MB to make total RAM 1.5 GB a few days ago, now this mission runs perfectly without screen freezes and, I might add, no more being shot downhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.
As the contents of the sim expand, so the hardware must expand with it- a fully merged FB+AEP+PF+patches is a far cry from the original FB 1.0. It would not surprise me in the least if BoB will require a minimum of 1 GB RAM with 1.5 or even 2 GB reccomended.

Oh, my system details:
AMD XP2500+
1.5 GB RAM PC3200
Albatron KX600Pro MB.
40 GB HDD
FX5700LE 256 MB Video card
Philips 15" TFT 1024x768.

Insuber
06-22-2005, 02:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by strykablue:

IMHO get at least a 256mb card and 1Gig RAM or you'll be dissapointed if you like the graphics.This game eats the frame rate.
cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thx again for the help. Speaking about the graphics card, does 256 MB make a difference with respect to 128 MB onboard memory, same graphic processor?

Regards,
Insuber

No76_Dutch
06-23-2005, 01:38 AM
I have a virtually identical machine to yours - Athlon 1.4, 768mb RAM - only I have a Radeon 9500 stuffed in there. I generally get around 30-35fps in a furball online at 1152x864, landscape medium and landscape lighting medium. Object detail is on excellent (so I can check the skins I make), and other stuff is probably turned down a notch as well. Sure, the terrain looks pants - but I only need to know where it is so I don't fly into it. I don't care for extra trees or fancy water (yet).

I can't speak from experience as I am currently 10000 miles from my computer (holiday http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif), but my brother is back home and is a keen FB pilot. He reports that he can see no appreciable FPS loss provided the new clouds are off and he doesn't go crazy with the number of aircraft in a dogfight.

From what I'm told by friends back home, the patch doesn't really effect your FPS that much, and you should be able to play the game at pretty much the same speed as you did before the patch. Just dont be upset when the FPS takes a real dive when the action heats up. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(btw - I'm upgrading when I get home, but I'm going to hold out as long as I can on the 1.4 to make sure I have a rig that will run BOB at close to maximum settings when it is released.)

Insuber
06-23-2005, 06:40 AM
Dutch,

Great help! You are ray of light in the darkness, it looks like I can easily upgrade my current machine to an ATI 9800pro and 1 gig DIMM RAM, without the hassle of a major system change.

It changes completely the scenario.

Thank you!

Regards,
Insuber

No76_Dutch
06-23-2005, 09:02 AM
You could do that, but if you do your system will be CPU bound and you wont see much of an improvement. You'll still get the same crappy perfomance, but you'll be able to enjoy it at higher resolutions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If I was in your position I'd be inclined to enjoy PF and the 4.01 patch on the current system, not expecting too much performance wise but making do with what you have. I'd stick with your original plan of the A-64/X-800 upgrade - that way you will have a machine capable of running games like BOB, as well as running PF at massive detail levels.

My two cents http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Insuber
06-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Dutch,

It was too good to be true. I will spend some more time and money then. Thanks for your kind help.

Regards,
Insuber