PDA

View Full Version : Believes fans will respond well, but could always reintroduce "light-and-shadow"

MeloniesHomeboy
05-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Believes fans will respond well, but could always reintroduce "light-and-shadow" for sixth game

Splinter Cell producer Mathieu Ferland believes that Ubisoft's decision to reinvent the famed stealth series - ditching much of its light-and-shadow gameplay - will ultimately be vindicated by player reaction, despite the obvious risk.

"We've been working very closely with the fans from the beginning," Ferland told GamesIndustry.biz. "Their first reaction was, 'What's going on? Where's Sam?' And then they discovered these new possibilities, this new mechanic and they said, 'That looks awesome. I want to play it.'"

However, the producer admitted that Ubisoft could return to past values if things go wrong with Conviction, the fifth game in the series.

"It's not a one-way direction," he confirmed. "You can always go back and do different things, having Sam in a new position, or a different character to explore light-and-shadow gameplay."

Whereas past games were about avoiding detection in highly-charged situations, Conviction puts protagonist Sam Fisher on the run from the law, and forces players to mingle in crowds, overcoming enemies through confrontation and distraction rather than evasion.

It also reduces the number of complex controls players will need to master, using context-sensitive Aggression, Stealth and Interaction buttons rather than a broad range of button combinations.

"To us, it's a nice way to expand the brand," Ferland said of the overall approach, "because Ubisoft is a nice company and you can push it hard with innovation, especially in Splinter Cell, and sometimes when you want to push innovation you need to adapt your creative direction to fit the kind of gameplay you want to provide."

Ferland also said that he had been encouraged by the reaction he received from trade and press during the game's demonstration at the UbiDays showcase in Paris last week.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction is due to appear on PC and Xbox 360 later this year.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25358

Apparently there they'll go back if this game fails XD

MeloniesHomeboy
05-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Believes fans will respond well, but could always reintroduce "light-and-shadow" for sixth game

Splinter Cell producer Mathieu Ferland believes that Ubisoft's decision to reinvent the famed stealth series - ditching much of its light-and-shadow gameplay - will ultimately be vindicated by player reaction, despite the obvious risk.

"We've been working very closely with the fans from the beginning," Ferland told GamesIndustry.biz. "Their first reaction was, 'What's going on? Where's Sam?' And then they discovered these new possibilities, this new mechanic and they said, 'That looks awesome. I want to play it.'"

However, the producer admitted that Ubisoft could return to past values if things go wrong with Conviction, the fifth game in the series.

"It's not a one-way direction," he confirmed. "You can always go back and do different things, having Sam in a new position, or a different character to explore light-and-shadow gameplay."

Whereas past games were about avoiding detection in highly-charged situations, Conviction puts protagonist Sam Fisher on the run from the law, and forces players to mingle in crowds, overcoming enemies through confrontation and distraction rather than evasion.

It also reduces the number of complex controls players will need to master, using context-sensitive Aggression, Stealth and Interaction buttons rather than a broad range of button combinations.

"To us, it's a nice way to expand the brand," Ferland said of the overall approach, "because Ubisoft is a nice company and you can push it hard with innovation, especially in Splinter Cell, and sometimes when you want to push innovation you need to adapt your creative direction to fit the kind of gameplay you want to provide."

Ferland also said that he had been encouraged by the reaction he received from trade and press during the game's demonstration at the UbiDays showcase in Paris last week.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction is due to appear on PC and Xbox 360 later this year.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25358

Apparently there they'll go back if this game fails XD

Azanode
05-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Sounds hopeful, but I think the game will draw in enough new players to be deemed successful anyhow. Not to mention that it'll be the Shanghai studio's turn for SC6.

sl0ppy_sec0nds
05-30-2007, 01:48 AM
I really don't care about Single player because I am sure that it will be lots of fun like the Hitman franchise. It is the Multi-player that I am worried about. From the earlier info that was introduced regarding Multi-player, it screams failure. I don't see it becoming a long-term experience for those that take the Splinter Cell series seriously.

Despite the new adoption of different mechanics and atmosphere for Splinter Cell, the game will still sell well because of the Tom Clancy name itself.

SplinterCell_37
05-30-2007, 05:13 AM
Wow, that's cool. I think my esteem of Ubi Montreal just got a bit higher. I respect them for the fact that they're trying to keep the series fresh (hey, in all honesty none of us have played it so we're in no position to rip it apart...yet :XD) and the fact that they're willing to admit the new direction might not work and they'll return to the old mechanic if it doesn't...

..gasp, long sentence...

...is a very muchly to their credit.

Kudos, Ubi.

capteenix
05-30-2007, 06:20 AM
Who they call fans? The one's from the day 0. or the one's that become one after shipping of the SCC.

wallz0r
05-30-2007, 07:29 AM
Why couldn't they have left the light-and-shadow gameplay in SC:C too? The could've atleast left it as a option so you could've choose how to play it: using "active stealth" or by hiding in shadows.This way they could've pleased the ones that don't like the direction the game is heading in terms of gameplay mechanics (aka the ones who like light-and-shadow gameplay) and they could've attract new gamers.

Anyway,the news is very pleasing but if Ubisoft Shanghai is making SC6 then i'll pass...

capteenix
05-30-2007, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wallz0r:
Why couldn't they have left the light-and-shadow gameplay in SC:C too? The could've atleast left it as a option so you could've choose how to play it: using "active stealth" or by hiding in shadows.This way they could've pleased the ones that don't like the direction the game is heading in terms of gameplay mechanics (aka the ones who like light-and-shadow gameplay) and they could've attract new gamers.

Anyway,the news is very pleasing but if Ubisoft Shanghai is making SC6 then i'll pass... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
indeed. good point. leave it as Passive and Active Stealth and let player decide how to play. That eould be truelly more Next-gen than what it is now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Warrior0fLight
05-30-2007, 11:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Splinter Cell producer Mathieu Ferland believes that Ubisoft's decision to reinvent the famed stealth series - ditching much of its light-and-shadow gameplay - will ultimately be vindicated by player reaction, despite the obvious risk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I suppose that means that we'll have to skip buying it to get them to return to the light-and-shadow environment. I'll just rent it to check it out, then if it's worthy, buy it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"We've been working very closely with the fans from the beginning," Ferland told GamesIndustry.biz.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Which Fans? Certainly NOT the majority of fans that I know or seem to be posting on UBI's own community!

braiog
05-30-2007, 11:24 AM
This is odd. They talk about us, saying they're in communication with the fans of their community, but we all know that's a straight up lie.

However, it's reassuring to hear that they feel Conviction is legit in the series, but if not, they are open to admitting defeat and resorting back to basics of Conviction doesn't live up to their expectations.

Odd how they can talk about developer/fan relationships to gaming magazines to promote themselves in a positive light when anyone who's been here for any length of time knows that there is no presence from Ubisoft on the forums.

LoneInTheDark
05-30-2007, 11:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warrior0fLight:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Splinter Cell producer Mathieu Ferland believes that Ubisoft's decision to reinvent the famed stealth series - ditching much of its light-and-shadow gameplay - will ultimately be vindicated by player reaction, despite the obvious risk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I suppose that means that we'll have to skip buying it to get them to return to the light-and-shadow environment. I'll just rent it to check it out, then if it's worthy, buy it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"We've been working very closely with the fans from the beginning," Ferland told GamesIndustry.biz.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Which Fans? Certainly NOT the majority of fans that I know or seem to be posting on UBI's own community! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I also have to agree with braiog above as well regarding their communication with the community. What community? Rhoulette rarely even makes an appearance...not that I really blame her, but of course why would she be chosen do be the middle person if she can't handle it.

I just want to know who out there has spoken with Ubi and ask for their opinon?

There was very little truth spoken by Ferland. That is a real indicator of character and integrity.

simulacra
05-30-2007, 12:02 PM
He's talking about the non whining backbiters that are all but fundamentalist about splinter cell...

braiog
05-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Though I agree Rhoulette doesn't really make any appearances on the SC forums anymore, she was vital in the time when the PC community was demanding SvM in DA. Now, we all know in hindsight that SvM wasn't what we wanted, but she at least came through then to get us heard.

She kind of took flak for that from a lot of people, and I don't want to change the topic of the OP, but as it stands, we would need the assistance from someone who had more sway with the developer than whomever handles their email support. So she does have a valuable 'in' with Ubi in that way.

Knot3D
05-30-2007, 04:12 PM
hmm...

I do indeed respect Ferland & team alot, but claiming there's good communication with the fans is a bit far fetched ; imo, just promotional talk to portray Ubisoft as a more human company. His collegues at Assassin's Creed development have indeed received quite unanimous positive fan feedback.

Indeed, the statements are indeed admitting that he will keep possible low sales in mind. If this Conviction game will turn out to be how i think it will - and believe me, i will keep myself informed about this game - then i will not buy it for sure.

Black-S
05-30-2007, 05:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by braiog:
Though I agree Rhoulette doesn't really make any appearances on the SC forums anymore, she was vital in the time when the PC community was demanding SvM in DA. Now, we all know in hindsight that SvM wasn't what we wanted, but she at least came through then to get us heard.

She kind of took flak for that from a lot of people, and I don't want to change the topic of the OP, but as it stands, we would need the assistance from someone who had more sway with the developer than whomever handles their email support. So she does have a valuable 'in' with Ubi in that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a good point that you have made there braiog. It is nice to have someone who has direct links to game developers, however I have seen witness to exactly what happens to those people with direct links. Take for example the EA forums and few mods on their had direct links to the game devs and all that happened was they got bombarded with alot of whinging, hate EA, hate the game, hate you, hate this n that etc PMs and simply anyone with a legitimate concern or praise for a title go simply ignored because of all the other **** that was being spammed. Its always a few that ruins it for the rest.

Ferland acknowledges that new concept is a risk, but personally I think it is a risk willing to take. It follows a logical storyline based from DA and Essentials. Personally I really am liking the new gameplay concept and I really look forward to seeing a few more videos, images, and articles about Conviction.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wow, that's cool. I think my esteem of Ubi Montreal just got a bit higher. I respect them for the fact that they're trying to keep the series fresh (hey, in all honesty none of us have played it so we're in no position to rip it apart...yet :XD) and the fact that they're willing to admit the new direction might not work and they'll return to the old mechanic if it doesn't...

..gasp, long sentence...

...is a very muchly to their credit.

Kudos, Ubi. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldnt agree more. I wish them the best in the development of Conviction. I am certain a lot of hardwork is being put into making Conviction a great game.

Doogsy1
05-30-2007, 07:11 PM
It's funny. If you go back to the SC Legacy Console forum and read some of the earlier pages in the Official SC5 Thread, you will find that heaps of fans were pushing for Conviction style levels and gameplay. Now it seems that very few do.

Anyways, something tells me Shanghai have had their day with SC, but unless Montreal somehow manages to fit SC6 into its workload, I dunno who could make it. Maybe the fans!!!... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

braiog
05-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Seeing (er, reading) him admitting that the direction they're going may result in loss of sales is a big step for Ubi. I'm not sure if he got reprimanded for saying so, but doing so does put Ubi in better standing with the community.

I'm glad to hear that they are willing to go back to stealth action, but of course sad that it will mean that it'll be that many more years before we get the next installment. And when we do, here's to hoping Montreal is at the reigns when it goes down.

Release_15
06-01-2007, 09:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm glad to hear that they are willing to go back to stealth action, but of course sad that it will mean that it'll be that many more years before we get the next installment. And when we do, here's to hoping Montreal is at the reigns when it goes down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I liked Double Agent and Pandora Tomorrow. A lot. Although Monteal does seem to have a much better approach to SC in general, I wouldn't go so far as to call Shanghai bad or incompetent.

Excluding DA's PC version, of course.
It's too bad not everyone sees this next game for what it CAN be. Then again, that opinion ensures little disappointment through lack of hype, so it might turn out to be a good thing, as long as people judge it fairly if it turns out to be a great game (FE: "It's a quality product, but not for me"). My opinion on games usually coincides with GameSpot's reviews (wether I want it to or not), so I'll be following their reactions and impressions intently, and draw my conclusions from their objectivity. IGN is garbage imo. They're too emotionally involved, to say the least.

TROLOLOLOLOLOL
04-08-2011, 10:23 PM
I wish that people would have given ConViction a chance. Mathieu Ferland himself said that if ConViction was poorly received, then they would return to classic Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell gameplay.

All we saw of ConViction was a couple of five minute demos of the same level! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Aj6627
04-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Mr. worthless troll, I have two points:
1. There is no reason to continue bumping 2007 threads.
2. Ferland was kicked off the dev team or left for another game and replaced by Mr. Boss Battle/Panther Man. (not sure whether he left voluntarily or not, we may never know)

Kurai-sama
04-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Is there a difference between 'Conviction' and 'ConViction' now?

Aj6627
04-09-2011, 09:19 PM
The original logo had a capital V in it to symbolize the fifth game.

Kurai-sama
04-09-2011, 09:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aj6627:
The original logo had a capital V in it to symbolize the fifth game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, so ConViction refers to the first build with the longer-haired Sam? Fair enough, thanks for the tip.