PDA

View Full Version : PF is fantastic

Amon26
01-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Sorry if this sounds like re-hashed gushing, I'm a bit new so bare with me please.

I know there's a lot of debate over minute details like cockpit readouts and max-speeds of certain airplanes but what catches my attention the most with this is how "free" it feels.

In most simulations, the first task at hand is to figure out what things can be done. But in PF, I've come to realise it's more of a question of what <span class="ev_code_WHITE">can't</span>be done. Meaning there are so many possibilities. When you ditch a plane in the ocean, it's not a mater of "successful/unsuccessful". You could rip off a wing, cartwheel, destroy your engine, rip your engine right off or glide in without a scratch. I could go on but I'll stop. I just wanted to say "wow". Technology has come a long way.

Amon26
01-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Sorry if this sounds like re-hashed gushing, I'm a bit new so bare with me please.

I know there's a lot of debate over minute details like cockpit readouts and max-speeds of certain airplanes but what catches my attention the most with this is how "free" it feels.

In most simulations, the first task at hand is to figure out what things can be done. But in PF, I've come to realise it's more of a question of what <span class="ev_code_WHITE">can't</span>be done. Meaning there are so many possibilities. When you ditch a plane in the ocean, it's not a mater of "successful/unsuccessful". You could rip off a wing, cartwheel, destroy your engine, rip your engine right off or glide in without a scratch. I could go on but I'll stop. I just wanted to say "wow". Technology has come a long way.

Chuck_Older
01-17-2005, 02:58 PM
If you like PF, you should try out Il2:Forgotten battles, upgrade it with the ACE exapansion, and merge PF and FB http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

SeaFireLIV
01-17-2005, 03:08 PM
lol. Reminds me of my very first in IL2. I would be amazed when i shot up a 109, saw it hit the ground on a glide, rollover, it`s wing ripped off, bits flew around and finally it came to rest, the tiny pilot jumped out and ran. I remember thinking `WOW!`

Every other flight-sim aircraft I know would just explode (although EAW did have glide landings). Never before had I seen this kind of dynamic real-time crashing- breaking apart of an aircraft. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Amon26
01-17-2005, 04:10 PM
With regards to your reply, Chuck_Older. I'd love to play IL2 but I'm having a hard time trying to find a place around here that sells the Gold edition, all I can find is the AEP. Im looking to probably order it tonight or tomorow.

**Edit** Just ordered it off Amazon. Should be here Thursday.

LEXX_Luthor
01-17-2005, 06:13 PM
After getting FB, the most amazing memory I have of the fantastic stuff you see was following AI Stuka with external view. Stuka had left landing gear (always fixed) blown off during earlier combat, and was about to land. I decided to watch it and see how the game handles this lol haha we shall see...Stuka right wheel touches down, and as it slows the left wing slowly drops (no gear under left wing) with decreasing airspeed. As soon as the left wing touched the runway, the Stuka started ground looping left, went about 360 degrees full spin and came to rest on a wing and the right wheel. I sat there stunned--it was just what I expected to happen to real life Stuka but not expecting to see the sim handle it too. Pretty cool.

...assuming real life Stuka would do the same, I assume this, but don't know.

oh.....Wellcome to Forgotten Board

Kadin1
01-17-2005, 06:39 PM
...and did we mention the Full Mission Editor? The only analogy that comes close, is that long slender scratcher that allows you to scratch any itch anywhere!!