PDA

View Full Version : Demo's?

lkemling
01-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Read on a post about Luft 46 addon,patchs and such.
Is there by chance a demo of Pe2 floating around out there that i'm not aware of?

lkemling
01-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Read on a post about Luft 46 addon,patchs and such.
Is there by chance a demo of Pe2 floating around out there that i'm not aware of?

FritzGryphon
01-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Nope. Only the original IL-2 had a demo.

JR_Greenhorn
01-27-2007, 11:25 PM
And what a great demo it was!

I was introduced to this sim by the original Il-2 Demo (version 2). At the time, I had decided I wanted a flight sim, and I was trying to decide which one to buy. I downloaded every demo I could find, and eventually ran across this strange Russian flight sim with a wierd name. I'll have to admit, I bypassed Il-2 Sturmovik twice before downloading the demo and giving it a shot. When I couldn't fly with arrow keys, I knew I was on the right track.

I was blown away not only by the quality of the sim, but also the content of the demo. It had like 6 flyable planes, a couple of missions for each flyable plane, and almost limitless possibilities to fly in the QMB. At first, I didn't see why I would need to buy the full version game. I mean, most of the other flight sims I saw only came with 6-10 flyables anyway, and I was having a hoot with these 6 already.

However, it didn't take me long to find these boards and the development updates for Forgotten Battles. I eagerly awaited the release of FB while practicing my flying skills in the Demo. Once the release date for FB arrived, I started stopping by the electronics departments of the local mega-marts in search for it. After two weeks of vigilance, finally two or three copies of FB turned up, placed on the lowest rack on the far end of the game aisle. I bought it and went home as quickly as I could to try it out. I don't think I left my computer chair for about 10 hours straight that day and night.

The rest as they say is history; I bought AEP, PF, and now '46 all witin 2 weeks to a month of their US release. With PF I had to wait weeks after buying it before I could get to a computer to play it. When AEP came out, I convinced my cousin to buy FB and AEP, and I think I'll be able to sell him on '46 next weekend.

The point of my story is that there is great value in a quality demo. I have to admit that I never would've given Il-2 a chance if I couldn't have tried it first. I could see that the developers had confidence in their product, because they offered so much content for free and with few restrictions in the demo, without time limits, nag screens, and such. It was almost like they were saying "this is our flight sim, if you like this, just wait to see what else we have for you to fly..."

So here's to hoping that Oleg & Crew find time to make a demo for SoW that is worthy sucessor to the Il-2 original demo. You never know who has downloaded a demo and is quietly getting hooked on a game they wouldn't have considered otherwise.

Choctaw111
01-28-2007, 05:47 AM
That was very well said Greenhorn. I remember waiting for Il2 to come out. I found this website in 2001 and registered here (I forgot my old password and changed ISPs so after being deployed 3 times I had to start all over). I was always checking in here and looking at the screenshots and the demo was GREAT but I had to have the full version of the sim when it was released. I can still remember going to EB and picking it up. I have told many people about Il2 and have even had some over here at my house to check it out. Most of them do have the hardware to run something like this but they were impressed. I even had a WW2 Army Air Corps Veteran over here to look at it and he loved it! This is a very well made sim. The word just has to get out more about it and for BoB.