PDA

View Full Version : play IL2 on HDTV

fireflyz
11-28-2009, 09:51 AM
anyone played IL2 on a HDTV? Plasma? What resolution do you use, 1080p or 720p? I am deciding on whether to buy a full HD or just 720p.

fireflyz
11-28-2009, 09:51 AM
anyone played IL2 on a HDTV? Plasma? What resolution do you use, 1080p or 720p? I am deciding on whether to buy a full HD or just 720p.

ytareh
11-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Get a full HD but not to play IL2 ...even a tiny ancient 15" monitor will display 1280x1024 pixels...For higher resolution and crisper image just pick up a 20/22/24 etc monitor which are getting cheaper all the time...

SsSsSsSsSnake
11-28-2009, 05:05 PM
hi fireflyz i use my sony bravia 40"lcd at 1900x1080 and it looks and feels very immersive, i use a dvi to hdmi lead and go out from the tv to my stereo amp for sound, cant go back to my samsung 22"2233w monitor now seems too small.
ssssssssssssssnake

Choctaw111
11-28-2009, 05:23 PM
I bought a special "box" that I hooked up to my graphics card a couple years back.
I wanted to see what Il2 looked like on my 42" wide screen HDTV.
It wasn't too bad, but I did not run the sound to it.
Basically, other people could sit down and watch my flight on the large screen in the next room, which is how I set it up.

major_setback
11-28-2009, 05:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choctaw111:
I bought a special "box" that I hooked up to my graphics card a couple years back.
I wanted to see what Il2 looked like on my 42" wide screen HDTV.
It wasn't too bad, but I did not run the sound to it.
Basically, other people could sit down and watch my flight on the large screen in the next room, which is how I set it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose that's the gaming equivilent of showing your friends your holiday slides http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

M_Gunz
11-28-2009, 05:59 PM
It's not a bad way to play those AVI's, FLV's and DVD's.

Choctaw111
11-28-2009, 06:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
It's not a bad way to play those AVI's, FLV's and DVD's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, I only did it a couple times just to see if I could get it to work, and I only used it for Il2.
This idea you have is a good one http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Pyrres
11-29-2009, 04:17 AM
The only normal display I have left is my old 22" AG Neovo. Good display, but it is way too small now. I first got a 32" HD Ready LCD TV as a tv/movie display, ended up using it as my main display. And now I have 37" FullHD LCD, 32" HD Ready LCD, 22" LCD and Optoma projector connected to my pcs. Its quite different to play IL2 with big screen with good stereosystem.

p1ngu666
11-29-2009, 04:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:

HTPC's are good if your into aquired media http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I built one but parents use it mostly for tv only :\

Wurkeri
11-29-2009, 04:58 AM
I have played Il's on 1080p nearly two years now (32" Samsung and 46" Toshiba). Looks great and sound is also better through external amplifier and speakers.

julian265
11-29-2009, 05:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p1ngu666:

HTPC's are good if your into aquired media http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I built one but parents use it mostly for tv only :\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SageTV user here! (having tried myth and a few others)

fireflyz
11-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys! Guess I will buy a 1080p. Was a little concerned with fps at that high resolution. Saw a post mentioning that IL2 actually ran at 640x480 and the video card kind of "up-convert" to higher resolution. Hope that will work.

Stiletto-
11-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Depends on the size of the tv, but generally, if you get a larger HDTV, 720p will look not very good.. The bigger the screen, the bigger the pixels. I consider 720P to be a waste of money unless you are watching movies.

I have a PS3, and most of the games are 720p with no full screen anti-aliasing, they look awful compared to a computer game on it at 1080 with 4 or 8x FSAA.

Still.. Most people play there PC games in above 1080P, If I use my 24" Monitor I usually run at 1920x1200.. It's kind of sad that 1080P is already outdated!

Stiletto-
11-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Here is my 52" LCD with IL-2 on it, it looks pretty good at 1080p and running 4X FSAA. I think I was still running Il2 at 1920x1200 and the tv downscaled it to 1080, it seemed to look pretty sharp so I am guessing the tv had some kind of filter in it that it uses when it has source images above its native resolution.

I will have to try it at 1080p in the game settings with FSAA at 8x instead of 4x and see the differences.

When you roll your office chair up to the home entertainment center and sit point blank, the cockpits in game are too big compared to what they should be in real life, I think the gunsight at the widest FOV is half the width of your head! Still it is very immersive, especially when the screen engulfs alot of your perephrial vision.

I will have to get the native widescreen patch thingy and try again, I'm sure the immersion would be quite a bit better with a more realistic and wider horizontal FOV.

http://webpages.charter.net/scottomatic/mitsu_fb1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/scottomatic/mitsu_fb2.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/scottomatic/mitsu_fb3.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/scottomatic/mitsu_fb4.jpg

SeaFireLIV
11-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Showoff! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Very nice.

M_Gunz
11-30-2009, 02:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fireflyz:
Thanks guys! Guess I will buy a 1080p. Was a little concerned with fps at that high resolution. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some flatpanels run higher refresh rates than others. I've seen gaming flatpanels up to 3ms refresh, about 33 fps?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Saw a post mentioning that IL2 actually ran at 640x480 and the video card kind of "up-convert" to higher resolution. Hope that will work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you can run IL2 that -low-. You can also run at much higher res, IIRC some run at 1920x1280 on monitors.
Somehow I think that there is someone running even higher resolution and may even heat the room doing so!

BTW, IL2 default is 1024x768.

Wurkeri
11-30-2009, 04:11 AM

Some flatpanels run higher refresh rates than others. I've seen gaming flatpanels up to 3ms refresh, about 33 fps?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 ms =1/1000 s
33 fps =&gt; about 30 ms / frame

Theoretical refresh limit of 3 ms display is therefore about 333 fps.

M_Gunz
11-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks W! Prices are very good on the ones I saw then!

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-30-2009, 04:14 PM
I see some really weird idea's about refresh rate, FPS, and resolution in this thread. Ok, Resolution is the number of pixels being displayed, i.e. 1920x1080. Refresh rate really only applies to CRT (i.e. old style TUBE) displays and is the number of times per second the image is redrawn on the screen and is measured in Hz. Now Response Time applies to LCDs and is the amount of time it takes for a pixel to change colors (some measure grey-to-grey, some measure black-white-black) and is measured in ms. The higher the resolution, the more detail can be displayed (the crisper the image looks) but takes more video card power, refresh rate is fairly irrelevant for LCD's though they are making them with 120hz and higher and using post-processing techniques to insert extra frames thus making motion appear smoother, slow response time can cause ghosting in fast moving scenes on LCD's but most monitors and tv's have a really good response time (8ms or less) now and this is not the big issue it used to be.

As to how refresh rate relates to FPS, some games use a feature to sync each frame with the vertical refresh rate in order to prevent a visual artifact called "tearing" where the top half of a moving scene does not line up with the bottom half (not going to go into why this happens, too complicated and makes my brain hurt, lol). When vertical sync, or Vsync, is in use then the maximum possible FPS is limited to the refresh rate, so on an LCD monitor with a refresh rate of 60Hz then the max FPS would be limited to 60FPS, if running a 120Hz LCD then the max is 120FPS. If Vsync is not on then it doesn't matter a whit. For the most part FPS is limited only by CPU and GPU power.