PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Cheese

Ace_Hyflyer
05-12-2006, 01:18 AM
Man!!!!

I just finished my first IL-2 mission in my quest to finish a campaign flying the IL-2 playing DiD. I think I've finally figured out the best way of attacking tanks in the original game, so that you don't part company with important parts of your plane, like the wing for example... :P

Anyway, the mission was CAS for our comrades on the ground, against a far larger group of tanks. Everything went well, and my new tactic of attacking in a steepish dive from about 500m keeps me away from all of the bullets.

I nail a few tanks, and then decide it's time to head home cause I took a near miss from an 88mm flak gun, which caused most of my control surfaces to lose their surfaces. I decided to take one more run against the tanks.

Stupid idea!!! No sooner than I am in range, I'm only at about 200m now, every *&^*&# tank on the battlefield opens up on me. I try to duck and dodge as best as I can, but I still come out looking like swiss cheese. One hit even managed to make my massive IL-2 swing almost 90 degrees to the left, I was flying sideways!!!!

My IL-2 was missing an aileron, and elevator, most of the vertical stab was missing, most of the rudder was misssing, some of the other elevator was missing, there were bullet holes in the fuselage, both wings were so shot up I needed landing flaps just to stay in the air.

So I went on my happy way back to base and landed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (Although it was a little nervewracking to get around the mountains in the way :P) Show me one other plane that could soak up multiple 20-40mm cannon hits like that!!!!

Ace_Hyflyer
05-12-2006, 01:18 AM
Man!!!!

I just finished my first IL-2 mission in my quest to finish a campaign flying the IL-2 playing DiD. I think I've finally figured out the best way of attacking tanks in the original game, so that you don't part company with important parts of your plane, like the wing for example... :P

Anyway, the mission was CAS for our comrades on the ground, against a far larger group of tanks. Everything went well, and my new tactic of attacking in a steepish dive from about 500m keeps me away from all of the bullets.

I nail a few tanks, and then decide it's time to head home cause I took a near miss from an 88mm flak gun, which caused most of my control surfaces to lose their surfaces. I decided to take one more run against the tanks.

Stupid idea!!! No sooner than I am in range, I'm only at about 200m now, every *&^*&# tank on the battlefield opens up on me. I try to duck and dodge as best as I can, but I still come out looking like swiss cheese. One hit even managed to make my massive IL-2 swing almost 90 degrees to the left, I was flying sideways!!!!

My IL-2 was missing an aileron, and elevator, most of the vertical stab was missing, most of the rudder was misssing, some of the other elevator was missing, there were bullet holes in the fuselage, both wings were so shot up I needed landing flaps just to stay in the air.

So I went on my happy way back to base and landed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (Although it was a little nervewracking to get around the mountains in the way :P) Show me one other plane that could soak up multiple 20-40mm cannon hits like that!!!!

WTE_Galway
05-12-2006, 01:37 AM
the stories you read suggest that the Il2 really was that tough

as for the whole battle field opening fire .. that is one of the things that is a touch unrealistic at times in my opinion

i am sure entire panzer divisions didnt actually open fire on every random plane that came in range

similiarly if a single bf109 wandered past at altitude would every AAA battery in the entire russian fleet open up on it ?

still AAA makes the game a lot more fun .. and you can actually dodge it once you get the hang of it

Ace_Hyflyer
05-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Well, it definitely keeps you on your toes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I've come up with a few rules to stay alive in the IL-2

1. Stay up above where the tanks guns can elevate
2. If you see tanks main guns pointing at you, get outa dodge
3. If a column of AA shoots at you, again dive from high to protect oil cooler
4. If EA shoots at you, dodge and head for the ground

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Now I've finally gotten the tactics down, I will survive!

Waldo.Pepper
05-12-2006, 02:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
i am sure entire panzer divisions didnt actually open fire on every random plane that came in range
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have read accounts of Luftwaffe pilots complaining that it was common practise for Soviet troops to open up with every single peashooter they had at their disposal. Rifles, Submachineguns - EVERYTHING! It was murderous!

You'd have thought that this testimony would have trickled down to the German Army and they would have copied it if it was that effective. So far I cannot find that they did. Curious.

general_kalle
05-13-2006, 03:36 AM
the most tough plane is the il2 close followed he111...in my opinion