PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong? 3 patrols = No ships sunk.

Freddster
08-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Yeah what am I doing wrong? I have been out on three patrols and just came near one ship wich got away. So how do I have too do to sink a ship?

Freddster
08-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Yeah what am I doing wrong? I have been out on three patrols and just came near one ship wich got away. So how do I have too do to sink a ship?

JU88
08-04-2005, 07:30 AM
well... give us more info, where are you based? where are you patrolling/hunting? how do you go about looking for ships??

Freddster
08-04-2005, 07:39 AM
Im i the first flottila and are hunting ships just outside britain and near the german coast. When I shearch ships I go to the map and make a plot course which It follows and the I stop when i see a ship.

The_Gill_738
08-04-2005, 07:43 AM
It took me a few patrols to sink anything too. But one night it just clicked. The important part is to make marks on your map and use the ruler to find a rough idea of where the ship is going. And dont be afraid to surface and outflank the ship at top speed for a few hours.

racks_please
08-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Make sure you periodically dive and listen. You can hear much, much farther than you can see. You can also hear better going slow. Also focus on the shipping lanes on the map included with the game. You'll find them!

Freddster
08-04-2005, 08:15 AM
I read in a FAQ that you could listen with the hydrophone by yourself, how do i do that? And where can i see the shipping lanes`?

kaylar4
08-04-2005, 08:43 AM
If you right click on the soundmans picture in the bottom left then you jump into his station. The shipping lanes are shown on the map that came with the game.

When I'm in the hunting zone, I normally cruise for a couple of hours and then dive, turn the engine off, volume up to full and have a good listen. Don't rely on the soundman to call contacts out. 9 times out of ten (or more) you won't hear anything, but those few times you do pick something up makes it all worthwhile.

If you've got no 'Gods eye view' then plot a line 10-15k long at the bearing of the target, surface, run at flank for 15-20 (less if the range is closer) dive again and mark another plot. You get a rough idea of his heading that way.

Good luck!

Abihco
08-04-2005, 08:45 AM
The shortcut for the hydrophone station is "H"

Go crazy below roughly 10 meters.

Freddster
08-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Are there any maps on the internet over the shipping lanes, I have lost my map.

Faamecanic
08-04-2005, 09:26 AM
I believe there are .pdf copies of the manual and maps in one of the SH3 folders... do a search in your main SH3 folder for *.pdf

WilhelmSchulz.-
08-04-2005, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freddster:
Im i the first flottila and are hunting ships just outside britain and near the german coast. When I shearch ships I go to the map and make a plot course which It follows and the I stop when i see a ship. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Theres your problrm your near Germany. Move closer to Great Britin and youl get a few ships.

paulhager
08-04-2005, 12:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freddster:
Im i the first flottila and are hunting ships just outside britain and near the german coast. When I shearch ships I go to the map and make a plot course which It follows and the I stop when i see a ship. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you know the speed/location of the ship/convoy from the report then you can come up with a pretty good estimate of where it's going to be. I use a back-of-the-envelop conversion of 1.8 km = 1 nautical mile (1.853 in actuality) which allows me to convert kts to kph. When I draw my lines I also use the compass to give me range that allows for some deviation from the projection line.

When I don't have good speed information, I use a value of 7kts for "slow" and 9kts for "medium" speed.

Don't underestimate the value of the hydrophone, ESPECIALLY the value of periodically checking the hydrophone yourself. As I and others have pointed out on another thread, the hydrophone part of the sim generates and plays sounds for ranges longer than the threshold at which the hydrophone operator reports. This is a nice game feature in that it rewards the player for greater immersion in the simulation. From the game standpoint, it means that you need to use this feature in order to maximize what you can accomplish on a given mission.

To illustrate the above point, I'll relate that on my most recent mission (IX-C, Nov 1941), I was sent to patrol off the coast of West Africa, along the Sierra Leone-to-UK convoy route. While conducting periodic hydrophone sweeps I "took the seat" of the hydrophone operator and heard faint merchant noises at a heading of 004. I made a 15min high speed run along that course and took another reading. The sound was now at 010 so the convoy was heading in a generally southern direction. I drew some lines on the map and made some guestimates and made a longer run. I ended up catching the tail-end of the convoy. Once I had made contract I was able to observe directly and get an accurate measure of the course. I was then able to make an end-run around the convoy so as to set up ahead of it for an attack.

JU88
08-04-2005, 01:20 PM
The convoy route map is on your sh3 dvd, just browse the game disk to...
D:\Documentation\SH3_MAP.jpg

(Assuming D: is your DVD drive)