PDA

View Full Version : More Cookie-Cutter, White, European Terrorists?

mmj0529
06-03-2006, 10:48 PM
GRAW was definitely a real breath of fresh air in the enemy department.

I don't know about the rest of you, but as a rabid fan of all games Clancy (and all the books) I'm getting a bit sick of the apparent PC path that the developers have taken in just about every other instance.

I'm REALLY hoping that Vegas will give us more current villains this time around instead of Crazy Ivan and his friends.

The Cold War is over gang, Mexican rebels were a fantastic start (different team, I know€¦) but lets get something besides blond, sunglass-wearing white dudes in the Rainbow games. I know there have been minor variations here and there, but it all feels the same. Nobody€s looking to kill a certain ethnic group here, but it would appear that if you€ve got the gameplay down, the graphics beautiful and the levels well-planned, why not have a believable enemy to bring the immersion full-circle?

FUN FACT: In the Clancy novel Sum of All Fears our Islama-facist friends decide to nuke the US, but when the movie was made those same Arabs suddenly became Neo-Nazis. I remember wanting to cry in the theater€¦.

mmj0529
06-03-2006, 10:48 PM
GRAW was definitely a real breath of fresh air in the enemy department.

I don't know about the rest of you, but as a rabid fan of all games Clancy (and all the books) I'm getting a bit sick of the apparent PC path that the developers have taken in just about every other instance.

I'm REALLY hoping that Vegas will give us more current villains this time around instead of Crazy Ivan and his friends.

The Cold War is over gang, Mexican rebels were a fantastic start (different team, I know€¦) but lets get something besides blond, sunglass-wearing white dudes in the Rainbow games. I know there have been minor variations here and there, but it all feels the same. Nobody€s looking to kill a certain ethnic group here, but it would appear that if you€ve got the gameplay down, the graphics beautiful and the levels well-planned, why not have a believable enemy to bring the immersion full-circle?

FUN FACT: In the Clancy novel Sum of All Fears our Islama-facist friends decide to nuke the US, but when the movie was made those same Arabs suddenly became Neo-Nazis. I remember wanting to cry in the theater€¦.

eliek02
06-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Yea I agree with you, I mean it's people telling a story involving fictional characters it's not like it's some racial thing and they're hurling abusive epithets. But this is Vegas so I expect most of the tangos to be American.

silentassasin05
06-04-2006, 03:10 PM
American terrorists in Vegas? It dont seem right...

Th3sandman2005
06-04-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm not racist but they should be of mid eastern descent, we always tip toe around the theme when in fact that is who we are at war with.Not Arab people, but Arab Terrorist.Osama and his crew declared war on the whole world of democracy, not just the U.S.A.

SirJOW
06-05-2006, 11:58 AM
I agree completely mmj0529! Unfortunately; the leftists in our country and around the world would scream bloody murder if we actually portrayed terrorists and our enemies as how they really were. It would be "discrimination" and bigotry at the very least. Instead, it's quite okay to villainize the "white man" to no end. It's a sad state our PC society is in.

P.S. There are plenty of evil white people BTW; so don't say I'm excusing them completely either. Read this in context (possible) lefties!

spm1138
06-14-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm just surprised Neo-Nazi's aren't forming pressure groups and sueing Ubisoft http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Goliath.Ubi.Dev
06-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Easy with the politics guys, feel free to discuss the terros in Vegas but keep the real world out of this please and no personal views on ethnicity.

On side note we will have some ethnic variety for our terrorists.

Thanks,

devilnevercry16
07-17-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't doubt the variation in the bad guys and I realize what it could mean by putting certain groups in the terrorist position. You have to be careful. Most terrorists we have seen are either European white guys or Middle East origin. The City of Las Vegas is trying to stop Ubi Soft from selling this game because it might give people ideas? Grow up. The same might happen if they put certain ethnic groups in the game as bad guys. Really bad PR. I feel sorry for Take Two right now. Make the game Ubi, and tell the city of Las Vegas to kiss you ***!

Cookie32_649
08-14-2006, 02:42 PM
ubi soft rules ok nothing wrong with them