PDA

View Full Version : WWII maps of air missions

Darkbluesky
01-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Hello,

I am learning to fly without icons on the map, and I prefer to fly with the map in paper, so I have searched for maps and I have found the FB maps in PDF (the same maps that are inside the game, and also in the second CD of FB under maps folder. But I am searching "original" maps used during WWII fly missions, or at least similar ones.

Anybody knows were to find these maps?

Tx

VF-3Thunderboy
01-13-2005, 06:02 PM
For US Navy -they didnt use maps, they used plotting boards, you can get one on e-bay for $20-30 bucks.Then you need Air Navigation #4 to tell you how to use it.

Army is different, they may have used maps,Not sure on that.

ZG77_Lignite
01-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Probably the best one I know of:

http://www.onwar.com/maps/wwii/

The in-game maps surprisingly realistic in look and 'feel', at least imho. However, I love maps myself, and find looking at the real ones very interesting. Note there will be some variations between real maps and game maps/terrains, but to be fair this is also actually very realistic. Maps were often incorrect, and even more often unavailable, especially on the eastern front.

I believe it has been noted that school geography books were one of the best sources German pilots had for navigation purposes. Needless to say these would often be very short on necessary details.