PDA

View Full Version : I just sank my first ship and need to talk about it!

dave993399
06-04-2005, 02:48 AM
So I finally installed SH3 today after a month of staring at it while I finished my grad program's first year's qualifying exams (didn't need distractions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

I worked through the tutorial, and then hopped in the campaign. I've been reading Clay Blair's "Hitler's U-Boat War" lately and decided it would be fun to join a flotilla that uses the type II's and then upgrades to the IX's to attack West African convoys. I received the command of the lovely type II-A, U-4.

On my first patrol, I am ordered to patrol off the British coast in the North Sea. Having a lot of experience with AotD and SH1, I jacked the difficulty level to 77%, leaving god's eye map and event camera on.

Finally, after two hours of real-life cruising, Bdu sends a single ship contact report about 100 km west of my position. I head that direction, stopping every 30 minutes to dive to periscope depth and listen to the hydrophone. For some reason, my dumb sonar man can't hear the "whop-whop-whop" that I hear clearly on bearing 330. I continue heading that direction until the watch officer notifies me the ship in question has been sighted. It's only a 1333 ton coastal cargo ship, but i'm a newbie, so give me a break.

I position myself along the path of the ship and submerge to periscope depth. When the ship closes to 1200 meters (by my estimates), I fire the first fish. Unfortunately, I think I messed up the angle on the bow, the fish goes sailing past the ship's rudder.

By now, I work up another firing solution, guessing the AOB is about 85 degrees at 750 meters. I let another torp fly, and this time hit it amidships. The ship went down in less than a minute.

**** that's some intense fun! In the tutorial missions, I was very disappointed at how easy it was to flawlessly fire torpedos, manually operating the TDC made this kill (even though it was only 1300 tons) one of the most satisfying moments I've had in recent computer game history.

My only wish is that the resolutions on this game went higher, I think it would be a lot easier to determine the AOB if the ships weren't so pixellated at long distances.

Sorry for the rant! Can't wait to play some more and to run into my first convoy.

dave993399
06-04-2005, 02:48 AM
So I finally installed SH3 today after a month of staring at it while I finished my grad program's first year's qualifying exams (didn't need distractions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

I worked through the tutorial, and then hopped in the campaign. I've been reading Clay Blair's "Hitler's U-Boat War" lately and decided it would be fun to join a flotilla that uses the type II's and then upgrades to the IX's to attack West African convoys. I received the command of the lovely type II-A, U-4.

On my first patrol, I am ordered to patrol off the British coast in the North Sea. Having a lot of experience with AotD and SH1, I jacked the difficulty level to 77%, leaving god's eye map and event camera on.

Finally, after two hours of real-life cruising, Bdu sends a single ship contact report about 100 km west of my position. I head that direction, stopping every 30 minutes to dive to periscope depth and listen to the hydrophone. For some reason, my dumb sonar man can't hear the "whop-whop-whop" that I hear clearly on bearing 330. I continue heading that direction until the watch officer notifies me the ship in question has been sighted. It's only a 1333 ton coastal cargo ship, but i'm a newbie, so give me a break.

I position myself along the path of the ship and submerge to periscope depth. When the ship closes to 1200 meters (by my estimates), I fire the first fish. Unfortunately, I think I messed up the angle on the bow, the fish goes sailing past the ship's rudder.

By now, I work up another firing solution, guessing the AOB is about 85 degrees at 750 meters. I let another torp fly, and this time hit it amidships. The ship went down in less than a minute.

**** that's some intense fun! In the tutorial missions, I was very disappointed at how easy it was to flawlessly fire torpedos, manually operating the TDC made this kill (even though it was only 1300 tons) one of the most satisfying moments I've had in recent computer game history.

My only wish is that the resolutions on this game went higher, I think it would be a lot easier to determine the AOB if the ships weren't so pixellated at long distances.

Sorry for the rant! Can't wait to play some more and to run into my first convoy.

UF_Excalibur_D
06-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of stalking. It is addicting and very satisfing when you are rewarded with a spectacular sinking after working to get it. As far as the sonar man silence, it is a 1.3 bug to be worked out we hope. Most of us have just thrown the sonar man overboard....lol. The resolution thing might be your vid card....at 5000m the ships look beautiful to be and seem flawless at times. It is a game that you will soon find your self totally consumed by if not careful.....like waking up to the alarm clock yelling AALLLAARRRMMMM!! and hitting the floor.....lol. I have even purchased a seperate light fixture and red light bulb for my gaming room...rig for red...lol. That was brought up by someone else and seemed like a good idea....my wife is now certain im nuts.....anyhow welcome aboard.

Fodderstompf
06-04-2005, 04:00 AM
Nice one mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Its great to get your 1st combat kill, eh.
Regarding the resolution, go look here -

http://u-boot.realsimulation.com/

There is cracks to change to higher res.

I think my 1st kill was a fishing boat http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
So your doing well, keep hunting.

AVGWarhawk
06-04-2005, 07:12 AM
Can't wait for a convoy!!!!! I just survived one by the skin of my teeth. 9 boats surrounded by 3 armed trawlers and 3 destroyers. You guessed it...I was depth charged over 2 hours (I played it real time). I spent the better part of the two hours repairing my flooding u-bout. Not to mention losing 1 diesel engine amongst other goodies I had. So after they left the scene to keep up with convoy, I surfaced and sculked home with tail between my legs. Not to mention I needed a change of underwear. Alas, I made it home and handed my repair crew medals and a night on the town. We will be back to seek other unsuspecting prey. Good luck and enjoy...more to come to you concerning this game!

MarkusVKatabri
06-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Sorry I can't resist........we all know why this is. fRusTratInG http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dave993399:
For some reason, my dumb sonar man can't hear the "whop-whop-whop" that I hear clearly on bearing 330. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dave993399
06-04-2005, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sorry I can't resist........we all know why this is. fRusTratInG </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that was only a problem with the 1.3 patch. I am presently playing the 1.2 version. The sonarman reports hearing screws, but at nowhere near the range I can hear them myself. Is that a bug or is that the intention of the dev team?

Nukem_Hicks
06-04-2005, 10:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dave993399:
I thought that was only a problem with the 1.3 patch. I am presently playing the 1.2 version. The sonarman reports hearing screws, but at nowhere near the range I can hear them myself. Is that a bug or is that the intention of the dev team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since this was your first patrol, your sonarman's experience level is nil. You'll notice a difference after a few patrols and by patrol 10 he'll be picking out and identifying individual ships in a convoy while you can still just hear a dull roar. Don't worry, he'll get better.

Now, do you really want to have some fun? Go sneak into Scapa Flow and sink the Royal Oak. It's a blast in a IIA.

Mylo42
06-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Dave,

You showed INCREDIBLE restraint in not loading up SHIII until your school work was done....amazing !!

With that kind of self control, you are bound to make a good submariner. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Faamecanic
06-04-2005, 12:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nukem_Hicks:
I thought that was only a problem with the 1.3 patch. I am presently playing the 1.2 version. The sonarman reports hearing screws, but at nowhere near the range I can hear them myself. Is that a bug or is that the intention of the dev team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He wont notice a difference if he installed the 1.3 patch.....

D@mnit I wish the devs would at least issue a 1.31 patch to fix the deaf sonarman and the Uber DD's pst 1943 with the Q thingy.....

Since this was your first patrol, your sonarman's experience level is nil. You'll notice a difference after a few patrols and by patrol 10 he'll be picking out and identifying individual ships in a convoy while you can still just hear a dull roar. Don't worry, he'll get better.

Now, do you really want to have some fun? Go sneak into Scapa Flow and sink the Royal Oak. It's a blast in a IIA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dave993399
06-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Wow, so I've been playing for ten hours straight today. Sheesh, I have no life.

I installed that community guide trick to get higher resolutions, it was pretty painless and everything looks slicker at 1600x1200. Much easier to guess the angle on the bow. But still, I always end up kind of 'cheating.' I guesstimate the AOB with a solution, and then I hop into the god's eye map room and compute the real thing using the protractor device. And my firing solutions always seem to either hit the bow or the stern. Soon it'll be time to turn off god mode and start plotting targets on the map myself.

This game is somehow both fun and frustating at the same time. I spent a few hours trying to close in on the east coast of England to spend my last torpedo. I ended up running submerged at 3 kts most of the time, even though those hurricanes haven't even come close yet, they still attacked like every hour in 1939. Finally, I track a tugboat, work a firing solution and shoot my last torp...only to miss the bow by about 15 meters.

The only odd thing, at present it is December 4, 1939 in my career, and I have NEVER seen any fog, clouds, or anything. Always sunny and calm. I don't get it.

GENKO1974
06-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Congratulations on your sinking of your first enemy target. It feels good, doesn't it?
I have been sinking units all the way back to Silent Hunter I, II and now III. This version is so far the best, I just installed the 1.3 mod, and yes a few changes but basically everything remains pretty much the same. One question: Why not include in the sinking units, men jumping off board and manning boats to escape, so that we can shoot them down just like in the real deal? After a while, I just did 39 patrols in a row, it gets boring. The same ships, the same behaviour, you get good at sinking them. Sometimes, just to amuse my crew, I surface behind or in front of a ship, depending on where the gun is located, and we just shoot them right off the surface. We need a more interactive enemy, one that grows with your and that somehow is alive. When you reach a few patrols, you will find boredom. Also, an amazing lack of enemy activity even around heavy traffic areas is a sad reality. If it was not for the time compresion, only you will know how time consuming and empty a patrol could be. Granted, it could be just like that, but, it usually tends to lean towards lonely ships, even in the later years of the war when convoys went back and forth. This game is exellent, it needs more action on the enemy side. Like empty ports that at night you approach thinking you can shoot down and escape, but there is nobody to shoot at, nothing. I hope somebody comes with some good additions soon. In version 1.3 people complain that the sonar man is deaf, here he only responds when submerged, on the surface he is off, just like the real deal. I still need to check it out, so far the same. Good luck, use your 88 more, GENKO off and under.

Faamecanic
06-05-2005, 11:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GENKO1974:
In version 1.3 people complain that the sonar man is deaf, here he only responds when submerged, on the surface he is off, just like the real deal. I still need to check it out, so far the same. Good luck, use your 88 more, GENKO off and under. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not that he only responds when submerged (which you are right, your Hydro should ONLY work when submerged). Its the fact that he DOES NOT respond with contacts at all!! (confirmed as a bug introduced by 1.3).

He used to tell you "Merchant ship, bearing xxx, closing" or "Warship, beraring xxx, moving away" prior to v1.3

WihelmSchulz-
06-06-2005, 04:11 AM
Wait till u get in a convoy! U will use up all your torps on the fat targets. 10h stright!!!LOL get a life bud!!!

WihelmSchulz-
06-06-2005, 04:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Faamecanic:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GENKO1974:
In version 1.3 people complain that the sonar man is deaf, here he only responds when submerged, on the surface he is off, just like the real deal. I still need to check it out, so far the same. Good luck, use your 88 more, GENKO off and under. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not that he only responds when submerged (which you are right, your Hydro should ONLY work when submerged). Its the fact that he DOES NOT respond with contacts at all!! (confirmed as a bug introduced by 1.3).

He used to tell you "Merchant ship, bearing xxx, closing" or "Warship, beraring xxx, moving away" prior to v1.3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Contact moving slow moving away bering XXX

AVGWarhawk
06-06-2005, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GENKO1974:
Congratulations on your sinking of your first enemy target. It feels good, doesn't it?
I have been sinking units all the way back to Silent Hunter I, II and now III. This version is so far the best, I just installed the 1.3 mod, and yes a few changes but basically everything remains pretty much the same. One question: Why not include in the sinking units, men jumping off board and manning boats to escape, so that we can shoot them down just like in the real deal? [QUOTE]

What was the real deal? Shooting survivors of the downed boat? This is not close to what occurred. The U-boats did not sink lifeboats or suvivors. Quite the contrary, they helped save quite a few. Infact, a few pulled a long string of lifeboats to safety. Shooting at survivors was not the "real deal" Having people jump off ships or loading lifeboats in the game would be cool. Shooting at them was not the U-boat commanders deal. He knew his job was completed when ship was sunk. Donitz said not to help survivors and let them go. The only incident I have read about was the Peleus Affair where the commander fired at rafts knowing people were in them. He did it to have the rafts sunk and would not be sighted by aircraft. Three people survived and Heinze Eck (commander of U-852) was executed after the war as a result.

plenten
06-06-2005, 01:11 PM
I haven't got the mod myself, but I have seen printscreens with crew members falling down of torpedoed ships. There is also a World Mod(#2), which provided shipping in harbours (got that one). And about killing survivors... dev team made it clear from the start that this was not going to be in the game. If you want to shoot people, play MOH or something.