PDA

View Full Version : F6F Flaps T/O Position problem?

killer2359
11-15-2004, 06:52 PM
I don;t seem to be able to get Takeoff position for F6F flaps - ie. on the carrier deck getting ready to takeoff I see all the AI planes select an intermediate flaps position, but I can only get full up or "landing" (full down).

Am I missing something or is this a known (to be fixed) problem.

dse1010
11-15-2004, 07:02 PM
I saw this, and assumed that it only had this (although it seemed strange for a later model plane to not have all flap stages). But if u see the AI planes doing it, then it probably is a bug.

Zyzbot
11-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Watch this WWII video about how to fly a Hellcat. Unless I missed something, the pilot used flaps UP on takeoff and flaps down for landing. Nothing in between.

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/F6F.html

panthercules
11-15-2004, 08:27 PM
very cool film - thanks for the link - haven't flown a Hellcat yet (still trying the Wildcat) but eager to do so now.

The narration of the film actually says there are no intermediate steps for the flaps - just full up and full down - and it said to use the flaps up for normal land-based takeoffs but have them down for carrier takeoffs and all landings.

Haven't tried CEM yet - but it sounds like it would be cool to try it and see if you can match the behaviors and detailed instructions about manifold pressure etc set forth in this video - sure seems like a whole lot to think about while you're trying to fly the plane and watch out for and kill enemies too

jazman777
11-15-2004, 09:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zyzbot:
Watch this WWII video about how to fly a Hellcat. Unless I missed something, the pilot used flaps UP on takeoff and flaps down for landing. Nothing in between.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
In fact, the video explicitly mentions that there are only two positions. PF has it right, it seems.

Tully__
11-15-2004, 11:38 PM
The AI are able to use any flap setting they want, regardless of whether the plane was actually equipped with that setting. It's part of the simpler AI flight modelling, not a bug.

Troll2k
11-16-2004, 02:42 AM
AI cheat.

They have xray vision.

They can see in the dark.

They can perform manuevers a human can not.

They have incredible climb rates.

And they can always fly at their rated maximum speed.

They have superior planes.They do not overheat.They always run at maximum effiency even when wounded.

So do not believe any thing you see an AI plane do.

Billy_BigBoy
11-16-2004, 04:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
The AI are able to use any flap setting they want, regardless of whether the plane was actually equipped with that setting. It's part of the simpler AI flight modelling, not a bug. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
As a human player you can also use any flap setting you want by (for the X-45 users) assigning one of your roteries to it.

Tully__
11-16-2004, 04:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billy_BigBoy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
The AI are able to use any flap setting they want, regardless of whether the plane was actually equipped with that setting. It's part of the simpler AI flight modelling, not a bug. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
As a human player you can also use any flap setting you want by (for the X-45 users) assigning one of your roteries to it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have a set of race wheel/pedals laying around the pedals also make good brake/flap actuators http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

killer2359
11-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanx guys :-)

I've got no problem with being limited to full up or full down - I was just puzzled at the AI having an intermediate setting.

(edited after watching video - excellent info!)