PDA

View Full Version : Why such a lousy implementation of differential thrust again???

Von_Queca
10-26-2004, 09:28 AM
I was seriously looking forward for a much better multi-engine physics model in PF. After all it is the same we got in IL2.

Many people is discussing the poor use-friendlyness of the multi-engine controls, but in fact I do not think it is so important given the so poor performance of the Flight Model when it comes to assymetric thrust.

Flying a b25 in one engine is almost as simple as flying with both engines up & running.

Apparently things work better while not airborne. Ground handling using differential thrust works acceptably.

Von_Queca
10-26-2004, 09:28 AM
I was seriously looking forward for a much better multi-engine physics model in PF. After all it is the same we got in IL2.

Many people is discussing the poor use-friendlyness of the multi-engine controls, but in fact I do not think it is so important given the so poor performance of the Flight Model when it comes to assymetric thrust.

Flying a b25 in one engine is almost as simple as flying with both engines up & running.

Apparently things work better while not airborne. Ground handling using differential thrust works acceptably.

Tully__
10-26-2004, 09:35 AM
As it's basically the same game engine as IL2/FB it's bound to be fairly similar in many respects. Maybe in BoB which will be an all new game engine the assymetric thrust will be more challenging.

Philipscdrw
10-26-2004, 09:41 AM
I agree about the controls, I want to assign different engines to different axis.

But as for engine-out handling: I think it is probably a fundamental issue with the flight model engine. None of the aircraft need rudder to coordinate a turn, unlike real life. Maybe all the aircraft are exceptionally stable in that direction in the Il-2 engine.

Or perhaps the B-25 was very stable with one engine in real life, and the sim is accurate.

I flew a B-25 campaign: I had to fly the length of New Guinea to drop bombs on flak guns, from Port Soresby? in the west to Milne Bay in the east. When I reached the target the flak killed my top gunner and one of the engines. I turned for home and was just about capable of maintaining altitude. But when I had gone a few miles the remaining engine started making the dying engine noise, so I diverted to the Allied airfield in Goodenough Bay. On approach I had too much speed, but I still tried to land. Over the runway I still had too much speed, so I raised gear and throttled up to go around. At this point the engine decided not to give any more power, and I hit the end of the runway and skidded to a stand on my belly. The mission was successful.

The next mission was exactly the same flightpath, except there were no actual targets available at Milne Bay AFAICT, and the game crashed when I turned back. Grrr..

gbleck
10-26-2004, 09:44 AM
Ah. So when you kill one engine you still don't get any yaw? Noticed that in the p-38 a few days ago. Woops turned off an engine learning new cougar profile. Hummm I don't notice any yaw affects at all. Nevermind using multiple engine contorles to turn the p-38 in combat. Does it yaw if you blow one engine out due to damage?