PDA

View Full Version : Ship Recognition

Charlo1973
03-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Hello,

I keep destroying neutral merchant ships. I check the recognition manual, but I never see any flags flying on the vessel. I noticed the names of the countries on the cover of the manual, but some I don't know what country they are 100%. How do you tell neutral ships from those you want to sink??? Thanks for answering my lame question.

Charlo1973
03-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Hello,

I keep destroying neutral merchant ships. I check the recognition manual, but I never see any flags flying on the vessel. I noticed the names of the countries on the cover of the manual, but some I don't know what country they are 100%. How do you tell neutral ships from those you want to sink??? Thanks for answering my lame question.

Rusty_S85
03-20-2007, 03:21 AM
Well with me I plot the ships course and I position my U-Boat 90* to the ship and Im also around 1000 - 2000 meters away. I open up tubes 1 and 2 and just lay and wait till the vessle gets close enough for me to use the zoom on my scope and I look for the nationality of the flag if its enemy I wait till i have a nice clean shot and I take it. If its neutral I lower the scope and close tubes 1 and 2 and I go about my business.

Charlo1973
03-20-2007, 07:33 AM
So it's just that easy? Will a neutral vsl have a flag flown all the time?

geoffwessex
03-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Excuse me if I've got this wrong, but your question seems to suggest that you're looking for flags in the recognition manual, and not on the ship itself.

All the ships in the game have flags - you'll need to check what they all are in the Community Manual, then check their status (friendly/neutral/enemy) at the time of seeing them either in the Manual or via the F1 Help screens.

If you don't see a flag through the periscope/UZO/Binoculars you'll need to:
a. get closer, or
b. ignore it and shoot anyway, (and risk losing lots of Renown points unless you've modded the config files), or
c. use the external view, fly over to the target and check the flag (not realistic, but not too much of a cheat)

If you're having trouble finding the identity of nationalities by their flag, have a good look at the cover of the Recognition Book and note all the flags next to the country name.

Rusty_S85
03-20-2007, 07:53 AM
As far as the merchants goes you cant use the recognition manual to tell if its neutral or not you have to look and see what flag she is flying.

Now for the warships I havent ran into a british destoryer flying an american flag so most of the time, I say most of the time cause the Patrol Boats which are warships were used by british and american forces among others, but usually if you pinpoint what ship she is you can tell right away if its friendly/neutral/enemy.

Charlo1973
03-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Geoffwessex - Yes I was looking in the recognition manual for the vsl and the flag I thought would be shown. I would spot a contact, pull up my attack periscope, the vsl info would pop up on the notepad (playing 29% realism...newb here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, and I would click on "ship" on the top left portion of the note pad and the recognition manual would open up to the type of ship I had sighted through the scope. I would then try to see if, I thought this was the case, the manual would have a flag being flown as part of the info gathered on that particular vsl. I didn't see any and thought that all merchant vsl's I come across were considered enemey. I sunk one and it said neutral vsl sunk and I was surprised. I sunk another vsl during the patrol and I heard the crew cheer and was promted enemey vsl sunk. I didn't see a flag either, but I used my attack scope versus my observation scope (the observation scope looks to have longer range). You mentioned if I had a problem identifying the nationalities by thier flag to have a look at the cover of the recogition book. My recognition book didn't have flags...only names in German. I assume this may have been a patch?? I just completed the download of the patch last night and haven't played yet, so I may be there now if that's the case. When you say community manual are you refering to the recognition manual. I read the booklet from front to back and don't recall anything about the community manual. Thanks for your help.

Rusty_S85 - Ok you guys have cleared that up for me. I have to sneak as close to the vsl and visually identify a flag flying, check it against the recognition manual and go from there. Thanks for your help.

geoffwessex
03-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Sorry Charlo - I should have been more clear....

The Community Manual (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Main_Page) is always worth a reading thoroughly.

The Recognition Book in the game (periscope view) has the nationalities but they are the warships, while the "Handelshiffe" (I think it's called) section of the Recognition Book has ALL the merchants, of all nationalities, in one section. However, I just remembered that only GWX puts the flags on the different sections (of warships).

All the merchants are still in their own "Handelschiffe" section, with no flags - mainly because no types of merchant ships have one particular nationality (though it could be argued that the "Lakers" would be Canadian http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif).
Many merchant ships were bought and sold around the world and fly/flew all kinds of flags.

Anyway, you'll still have to identify the flag of the ship in question. Using manual and clicking on 'ship' on the notebook gives you the type but not the nationality.

I hope that's cleared it up a little - sorry to mislead you.

Charlo1973
03-20-2007, 10:16 AM
No no...you have helped me out tremendously. Thanks for the info!

szala11
03-20-2007, 11:30 AM
I got a very good and ridicuolus "hint" about telling you which ship is hostile or neutral. If the ship gets closer to you ( i think at least 5000m ) and you chief engineer quickly stands next to that pipe behind the rudder/depth controlling sailors, the ship is hostile, otherwise it is neutral. If you get near the ship eg. 500m and your CE still stands calmly in front of you it is a neutral ship then... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif