PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

Kliest
01-04-2006, 09:27 PM
I just loaded PF. Have not installed patches yet, still downloading.
BUT, when I started the game I had nice little labels on the other aircraft flying around. They disappeared and I can not seem to get them back.
Also, in playing with the view buttons, none of the 'F' keys seem to do anything. F2 should be an external view...nothing, just my cockpit view as always.
What is happening?

Thanks
Kliest

Kliest
01-04-2006, 09:27 PM
BUT, when I started the game I had nice little labels on the other aircraft flying around. They disappeared and I can not seem to get them back.
Also, in playing with the view buttons, none of the 'F' keys seem to do anything. F2 should be an external view...nothing, just my cockpit view as always.
What is happening?

Thanks
Kliest

VW-IceFire
01-04-2006, 09:30 PM
I can't remember the key but if you look in the control bindings you should be able to find a key control for cycling icons on and off. I've never used it to be honest but this is a fairly common question.

As for the external views...check in the difficulty settings to see if you've got the cockpit and externals on or off.

Skycat_2
01-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Since you haven't patched yet, I'm assuming you aren't referring to a problem that is occuring when you're online. If you are playing online, the lack of externals and labels may be imposed by the host of the mission or dogfight room to force realism.

Before you begin any new pilot career (dynamic campaigns) you should check all the difficulty options before the first mission of the new campaign; otherwise the options default to most difficult realism settings I believe. Single missions will generally keep the settings you choose in the Quick Mission Builder mode.

Tully__
01-05-2006, 05:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kliest:
What is happening?

Thanks
Kliest </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Difficulty settings (and maybe the "Toggle Icons" keyboard control if you've assigned it). I've put the relevant settings in bold.

In difficulty settings you'll find the following options:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Seperate Engine Start: When on, you must select each engine and start it individually if you're flying an aircraft with more than one engine.
<LI> Complex Engine Management: Complex engine controls such as mixture, prop pitch and supercharger are automated and can't be controlled by you when this is off.
<LI> Engine Overheat: When off, your engine doesn't overheat... ever.
<LI> Torque & Gyro Effects: When off some of the secondary effects causes by torque and gyroscopic forces aren't modelled. See this thread (click here) (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5111047273) for more details.
<LI> Flutter Effect: No idea, I've never flown with it off. Something to do with control vibration at high speeds I'd guess.
<LI> Wind & Turbulence: When off there isn't any. Even when it's on there isn't any in clear weather, but you'll certainly notice crosswinds while taking off or landing in missions where it's raining, snowing or thundering if this setting is on.
<LI> Stalls & Spins: While turning this off doesn't (quite) completely eliminate stalls, they become a mere user friendly mushing effect rather than the death dealing spin to your grave that often occurs with this on. In either case it pays to simply not stall in the first place.
<LI> Vulnerability: Off, you're invulnerable (except if you're stupid enough to try and fly through a mountain). On, don't get hit or hit anything.
<LI> Blackouts & Redouts: Pilots will not blackout or redout (lose consciousness) when turning tighter than human physical limits when this is off.
<LI> Realistic Gunnery: When on, bullets travel roughly like their real life counerparts, dropping due to gravity and slowing due to air resistance; and do something like realistic damage (though some dispute these effects are accurate). When off, bullets travel in a straight line and do 4 times as much damage as when this setting is on.
<LI> Limited Ammmo: When off, you never run out of bullets/bombs/rockets (whichever you're carrying when the mission starts). A side effect of this - in aircraft that carry underwing and under belly external bombs, the belly mounted bomb wont release until you've run out of under wing bombs. With no limit you never run out and can't use the center bomb. Another side effect... if you survive the mission you have to land with live bombs attached to the aircraft.
<LI> Limited Fuel: Turn it off and you're tanks never run dry. This is a double edged sword, as aircraft performance improves as the fuel load burns off. In a campaign where you don't have sufficient rank to choose the amount of fuel you carry you generally have to slog along with fully loaded fuel tanks for the whole mission if you've turned this setting off.
<LI> Cockpit Always On: When on the "Toggle Cockpit" control (ctrl-F1 by default) doesn't work.
<LI> <span class="ev_code_yellow">No External Views: When on, the F2, F3, F6, F7 & F8 (and Shift/Ctrl key combinations with these keys) don't work. This setting will be the cause of one of your problems.</span>
<LI> Head Shake: When off your view doesn't jiggle when flying in turbulence or in an almost stalled condition. It may also reduce head movement due to heavy cornering forces but I'm not sure. I fly with it on.
<LI> <span class="ev_code_yellow">No Icons: When on, you don't get those nice little labels on the aircraft. This was your other issue.</span> There's also a keyboard control that you can use to cycle through a few options for the icons if this setting is off. If I recall correctly you have to assign a key for this as there isn't one assigned by default.
<LI> No Padlock: If this is on the pilot Padlock functions don't work (default keys F4, Shift-F4, F5, Shift-F5). If on, you'll be able to padlock targets that are withing your field of view and less than 3km away. If the No Icons setting is on, Padlock will not distinguish between friend and enemy, you have to work out if it's a good guy or a bad guy all by yourself. Once padlocked the lock will hold to much greater distances (6km I think) provided the target remains unobscured. If it goes behind part of your aircraft, a cloud, a hill or another aircraft Padlock will release after about a second.
<LI> Clouds: If it's off, there'll be no clouds. (I just thought of an experiment... I've never flown a thunderstorm mission with the Clouds setting off... I wonder what the result would be http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif)
<LI> No Instant Success: When on you must complete the principle mission objectives set by the mission planner for the mission to be declared successful. This really doesn't mean much except when flying offline (single player) campaigns. If you don't succeed you wont be able to proceed to the next mission in the campaign when this is on. I strongly urge you to leave this setting off when flying campaigns as there is occasionally a mission which will fail and ruin your campaign no matter how good a pilot you are. In any case, real pilots weren't stuck doing the same mission over again for the rest of the war because an objective was missed. They sucked it up and moved on.
<LI> Takeoff and landing: When on, you must land and come to a complete stop to be considered safely returned to base at mission end. Take off is up to the mission planner. When off, you will always start the mission already in flight and don't have to land to be considered returned to base.
<LI> Realistic Landings: This one is quite amusing. When off you bounce with no damage when you hit the ground harder than a gentle landing, even if it's a full speed vertical dive. When on you'd better be reasonably good at landing if you don't want a broken landing gear or worse.
<LI> No Map Icons: When off, the locations of all moving objects and ground objects that will shoot at aircraft show on the map that's available to the pilot in flight (m key for map).
<LI> No Minimap Path: When on your course and waypoints are not shown on the in flight map. When off your course and current location (a little white aircraft icon) are shown.
<LI> No Speed Bar: When off, the red numbers in the lower left of the screen that show speed, heading and altitude only show your heading. You can turn that off also by using the "Toggle Speedbar" keyboard control. There is no default key for this so you'll have to assign one.[/list]

I've mentioned a number of keys that aren't assigned by default. In addition to those, you will probably find at some point that you want to assign keys for:

Toggle Chocks (you need to remove chocks before you can take off from an aircraft carrier...you're also almost entirely immune to other aircraft colliding with you on the carrier deck while chocks are engaged)
Toggle Arrestor Hook
Toggle Wing Fold
Manually Raise Gear
Manually Lower Gear
Air Brake

You may also not yet have found the following pre-defined controls:

Shift-F1: In some aircraft the gunsight is not centered. This control moves the pilots head to line up the gunsight correctly. In level bombers (He-111, B-25, G4M1) it also activates the bombsite when you're occupying the bombardier position.
Ctrl-D: Toggles the sun dimmer in German gunsights and removes the dust covers on (IIRC) the Val's telescopic sight.

Kliest
01-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the answers...It is the difficulty settings alright!
So with that fixed. Is there a good training mission for me. I dont need to do carrier operations yet, but I would like to take off, bomb or rocket something, dogfight, land

I should have the patches in tonight. I downloaded the combined patches by accident not realizing what the implications were. So, getting stand-alone patches now.

Thanks again
Kliest

zoinksu52
01-05-2006, 12:01 PM
hi fellow nOOb. here's a couple links that helped me out alot:

http://www.rcaffb.com/fighterbomber.htm
great info with vids at bottom.
carrier takeoff/landing with f4u.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/1161031143
wildcat training mission with runway takeoff/landing and ground target attack. actually 2 missions and highly recommended.

http://airwarfare.com/guides.htm

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/8311086963

as all these planes fly differently i suggest to find one you like and get familiar with it. i learned with sbd3. easy to fly. easy for carrier ops. this game will test your patience as you will be searching for overall instruction on basically every topic - i finally turned the learning corner and its starting to become enjoyable.

Kliest
01-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the info.

While Noob to PF, I am not such a noob to flying so I have been flying the P-40's around shooting up various planes like c-47's and the Japanese Flying boat as they are slow and easy to hit. Not doing too bad, but I really need to get the patches in. My landings are ok too, but no carrier landing attempts yet. I really want to get good at the basics cause my combat tactics are so bad that I really need something to be proud of.

BTW... is there anyway to send commands to a wingman like in the old Aces over the Pacific. I notice he wanders off sometimes ( or I do ) and I would like to reel him in...

I have questions about the map too but think I will play some more before I ask.

THanks again
Kliest

zoinksu52
01-05-2006, 02:34 PM
&lt;tab&gt; key opens up comms.

kalaluth
01-06-2006, 03:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kliest:
Is there a good training mission for me. I dont need to do carrier operations yet, but I would like to take off, bomb or rocket something, dogfight, land
Kliest </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You may fly Wildcat training campaign (http://www.simulation-france-magazine.com/download.php?op=mydown&did=429), designed as a tutorial.