PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting ripped off?



Choctaw111
02-05-2009, 08:03 PM
There are many companies today that are overcharging, sometimes blatantly, in this struggling economy.
I was inspired to write this after reading another thread.
I use propane to heat my home. I have lately been keeping a vigil eye on my fuel tank capacity after I felt I was being overcharged by the fuel company...but can't prove it.
The ONLY thing that uses propane in my home is the furnace...not even hot water. That is heated with electric.
My tank capacity (500 gallons) was at 85% over the summer. I was determined not to turn on the heat until November 1st, so I should still have about 85%, right? It got a little colder than expected so I intermittently turned on my fireplace at the end of October. When the fuel guys came out in mid November, they claimed my tank was down to 45%! I went through 40% in three weeks?! I had them check for a leak because there was no way I used that much. There was no leak, and I was suspect about the bill. They have been out here twice since then and I am equally unsure about their integrity. They can pretty much make up whatever amount they put into the tank. Who, or how will anyone prove otherwise? They don't call when they will deliver. The only way is to count the meter on the truck (if that is even accurate)...if I knew when they were coming.
Right now I am over $1,500 for heating my home this winter.

On another note, even Wal-Mart is doing this. If you have a choice to buy something in a three pack or a 10 pack (as an example) the 10 pack is not always the best deal. Doing quick math in your head you can easily see that these big stores are making money by getting you to think you are getting a deal by buying in bulk, but you are actually paying more per unit. This has really bothered me over the last couple years as most people won't do the math, and think they are saving money.
Anyone else have something to share?

Choctaw111
02-05-2009, 08:03 PM
There are many companies today that are overcharging, sometimes blatantly, in this struggling economy.
I was inspired to write this after reading another thread.
I use propane to heat my home. I have lately been keeping a vigil eye on my fuel tank capacity after I felt I was being overcharged by the fuel company...but can't prove it.
The ONLY thing that uses propane in my home is the furnace...not even hot water. That is heated with electric.
My tank capacity (500 gallons) was at 85% over the summer. I was determined not to turn on the heat until November 1st, so I should still have about 85%, right? It got a little colder than expected so I intermittently turned on my fireplace at the end of October. When the fuel guys came out in mid November, they claimed my tank was down to 45%! I went through 40% in three weeks?! I had them check for a leak because there was no way I used that much. There was no leak, and I was suspect about the bill. They have been out here twice since then and I am equally unsure about their integrity. They can pretty much make up whatever amount they put into the tank. Who, or how will anyone prove otherwise? They don't call when they will deliver. The only way is to count the meter on the truck (if that is even accurate)...if I knew when they were coming.
Right now I am over $1,500 for heating my home this winter.

On another note, even Wal-Mart is doing this. If you have a choice to buy something in a three pack or a 10 pack (as an example) the 10 pack is not always the best deal. Doing quick math in your head you can easily see that these big stores are making money by getting you to think you are getting a deal by buying in bulk, but you are actually paying more per unit. This has really bothered me over the last couple years as most people won't do the math, and think they are saving money.
Anyone else have something to share?

stalkervision
02-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Try living in NY paying gas and electric bills under the state energy commission. My wife and I long ago once rented a condo that was all baseboard electric heat. Big mistake. The insulation was just awful to boot. Cost a small fortune to heat. Then I got an idea. We had a little ceramic space heater that could be moved around. I decided to take it to the upstairs bedroom we pretty much stay up there in the winter where all the heat went anyway. We lowered the heat right down to the 60's on the downstairs while using the little heater upstairs. This worked absolutely great for ONE MONTH!

The expected large savings appeared but we were sufficiently warm and comfortable and just turned up the heat downstairs for meals. I think our electric bill was 50 dollars for the month! I thought we had the energy companies beat! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Then the next month came. WTF! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Our heating bills nearly doubled from the time we were running the heat throughout the condo on high. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I couldn't understand this whatsoever till I formulated this theory. You are actually penalized for using less energy then more! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif One pays a higher amount per energy therm using less energy then going whole hog and splurging and being warm! IMO, this policy is there to stop people from cutting right back on their energy use and hurting the profits of the energy companies.

We went back to being energy hogs and our bills soon corrected themselves to back to the higher but much more reasonable amount as before. This even though we were heating the whole place much more once again.

Moral of the story when it comes to state energy commissions at least in NYS is just say more. Never had a problem since then. Our bills aren't exactly low but we have never been penalized for using less. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

stalkervision
02-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Another thing while I think of it..GIFT CARDS! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

These are abominations from the devil! No matter what you do with these cards you will never able to get the money put into one and actually shop in another store you may actually want to shop in! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif That and the fact that even if the store only owes you 50 cents on the card do you believe you will get any money whatsoever back. NO WAY. Not even a blessed crumby penny! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

and if you spend more then the gift card is for because the gift card is a small amount and you need to put in some of your own cash to actually buy something useful you won't get that back either! And that is YOUR MONEY! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Your money is literally held hostage till you manage to find a lot of crap you may or may not want.

The giver of these cards spends real cash on the card but apparently the store in no way whatsoever feels one should get any of it back.

They act like you BARTERED for the card with your old used underwear! Amazing..and say you want to return the item because it sucks and want the cash to buy something that that store doesn't carry.

No way! You are stuck finding SOMETHING in that store you probably don't want just to get the barter value out of that card.

Gift cards are a tool of the devil and anyone that buys one for someone else should burn in eternity with him while forced to try to use a store gift card to barter for a nonexistant air conditioner or cool drink from a hot Indian spices cooking store!

WhiteKnight77
02-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Do not approve any more deliveries unless you are there. Take a look at the meter on the truck and look for a sticker from the state department of revenue or a weights and measures certificate. You see them on gas pumps at your local gas station. Compare what is on the dispenser there with what is on the truck. If the truck does not have such a sticker, take no further deliveries from said truck. If truck does have said sticker, then watch how much is delivered to ensure that you are charged properly. Also make sure that the meter is zeroed out before the fuel is pumped.

Inadaze
02-06-2009, 06:31 AM
It's similar here in the UK, over here we have a key or card system for people on low incomes, they can buy credit for gas or electricity when they need it and it's designed so they don't get a big bill dropped on them that they can't afford (Basically they pre-pay for their power, rather than being billed after they have used it). You'd think they would pay the same rate for their power supplies as everyone else, but usually they are paying at a higher tariff than someone that gets a monthly or quarterly bill. So the power companies are fleecing more cash out of the very people who can least afford it.

I've shopped around to try and find the lowest priced energy provider, pay my power bills monthly and heat a house using gas central heating, yet I've a couple of mates in 2 or 3 room flats who pre pay for their power using the key and card system and they aren't paying much less than me per month to keep warm, even though they are heating a fraction of the number of rooms that I am.

Choctaw111
02-06-2009, 06:38 AM
@WhiteKnite
I have often thought about doing just that. Why I have not yet done so is anyone's guess.

@Stalker
I wholeheartedly agree about the gift cards. They are a scam to make money. A good percentage of gift cards are never even used so the store that sold it makes money without giving up any merchandise. When the cards are used they are never used for less than the amount on the card, so the store makes even more money. If the card if worth $50 than the person using the card may spend $75, or even $100 as an example.
Many gift cards have an expiration date on them...to get you to go to the store and spend even more money more quickly. In the great state of Pennsylvania (not sure about others) these expiration dates are illegal. However it is not illegal to put an expiration date on the card, but it is illegal to NOT honor the card after the card has "expired". Yet another marketing ploy.

SeaFireLIV
02-06-2009, 06:41 AM
I do get very angry when I see just how badly some companies treat their customers (or even non-customers), sometimes it`s as if the feudal system of `rip off every working man until he bleeds dry while the upper echelons live in luxury` is still alive and well today.

It seems to me that while attitudes may have changed and things seem `better` when you really look deep the ordinary person is still heavily screwed until death.

I mean, even you Americans are being ripped off by major companies who take massive tax aid from the government (your money) while the bosses themselves get multi-million dollar bonus` even now!

But here, one of my greatest concerns are the electrical companies that have been hiking our bills several times a year so they can feed off us like vampires.

Inadaze is dead right too.The electric card system used for poorer people actually makes them WORSE off when it should be helping them. Disgusting!

Just as with the flash strikes against Italians employing Italians in England from abroad, sooner or later people will kick off again, if the rot is not stopped.

Choctaw111
02-06-2009, 06:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inadaze:
It's similar here in the UK, over here we have a key or card system for people on low incomes, they can buy credit for gas or electricity when they need it and it's designed so they don't get a big bill dropped on them that they can't afford (Basically they pre-pay for their power, rather than being billed after they have used it). You'd think they would pay the same rate for their power supplies as everyone else, but usually they are paying at a higher tariff than someone that gets a monthly or quarterly bill. So the power companies are fleecing more cash out of the very people who can least afford it.

I've shopped around to try and find the lowest priced energy provider, pay my power bills monthly and heat a house using gas central heating, yet I've a couple of mates in 2 or 3 room flats who pre pay for their power using the key and card system and they aren't paying much less than me per month to keep warm, even though they are heating a fraction of the number of rooms that I am. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is nothing new. Take a look at marketing for the last decade and longer. The people who have the money or "good credit" are always given a break and will pay less for things than people who are financially in a pinch. People who don't have much money will almost always pay more than those with more money. It is a nasty byproduct of greed on the behalf of the companies who try to make as much money as possible.

Choctaw111
02-06-2009, 06:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I do get very angry when I see just how badly some companies treat their customers (or even non-customers), sometimes it`s as if the feudal system of `rip off every working man until he bleeds dry while the upper echelons live in luxury` is still alive and well today.

It seems to me that while attitudes may have changed and things seem `better` when you really look deep the ordinary person is still heavily screwed until death.

I mean, even you Americans are being ripped off by major companies who take massive tax aid from the government (your money) while the bosses themselves get multi-million dollar bonus` even now!

But here, my greatest concerns are the electrical companies that have been hiking our bills several times a year so they can feed off us like vampires.

Just as with the flash strikes against Italians employing Italians in England from abroad, sooner or later people will kick off again, if the rot is not stopped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Things are different here in America the way our government works. If things are that bad over there, surely the Queen must know about this. She could change things on a whim, yes?

SeaFireLIV
02-06-2009, 06:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choctaw111:


Things are different here in America the way our government works. If things are that bad over there, surely the Queen must know about this. She could change things on a whim, yes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha. No. She`s just a figure head and she`s not going to say anything to rock the boat as far as I can see.

It`s Gordon Brown who must see and act. I`m amazed he never saw the potential Italian problem that set off the strikes. A friend was telling me about it before and I didn`t believe it cos I never thought anyone would be so dumb as to allow it.

WE Brits can be a little too shy to complain sometimes I must admit... So when we finally act it usually means we have to have a major fight when it could`ve been stopped earlier and easier.

leitmotiv
02-06-2009, 06:51 AM
To answer the original question---yes, daily and in almost every way. Comcast is one of my pet peeves. Their service is shockingly bad in Stockton, California, but excellent in Marin, CA, where the uber wealthy live. Their rates are extortionate.

Fortunes are made by often criminal means---J.P. Morgan got his first fortune selling rotten, old muskets to the Union in 1861.

Blood_Splat
02-06-2009, 07:10 AM
I need a new DVR box from comcast and they want to charge me like 30 bucks just to come out and replace it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

SeaFireLIV
02-06-2009, 07:19 AM
On smaller ripoffs:

A couple of weeks ago I went to PCWorld to buy some extra ram for my new laptop. I wasn`t certain if I had the right ram or how easy it would be to install, so in the shop I asked if he`d do it to make sure everything was ok.

He smiled and said, "For £30!"

I stormed out the shop, bought the ram elsewhere and figured it out and installed the ram in 10 minutes at home.

They also charge £30 for popping in a graphics card into your PC!

Inadaze
02-06-2009, 07:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
On smaller ripoffs:

A couple of weeks ago I went to PCWorld to buy some extra ram for my new laptop. I wasn`t certain if I had the right ram or how easy it would be to install, so in the shop I asked if he`d do it to make sure everything was ok.

He smiled and said, "For £30!"

I stormed out the shop, bought the ram elsewhere and figured it out and installed the ram in 10 minutes at home.

They also charge £30 for popping in a graphics card into your PC! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LoL, aye, PC world will take ya eyes out, I have a mate who kept bringing me pc's to fix, he started getting on my nerves, I didn't mind fixing his PC gratis now and again, but it started being his brothers, mothers, mother in law, nieces and other mates of his I didn't even know. I finally told him I was too busy to do keep on doing them and sent him to PC world, when he saw the prices they charge for basic tasks he started offering to pay or finally started to do simple tasks himself...

PC worlds in store prices tend to be extortionate for parts as well, though often if you check online you can get the stuff you need a lot cheaper from them. I bought a 512meg stick of ram for a laptop from PCW, instore price was £30, but if you booked it online and collected it in store the price was £15. Had similar savings on hard disks, a monitor and a laptop, all by doing the collect at store through their website.

leitmotiv
02-06-2009, 07:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blood_Splat:
I need a new DVR box from comcast and they want to charge me like 30 bucks just to come out and replace it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About three years ago the cable box on the living room TV quit working. Called Comcast. They sent over a kid who did not look old enough to be a high school grad. He looked at it and said it was fine. Didn't work. Called again. Same thing, another young kid. He replaced a bunch of wall wires. Didn't work. After three months they sent an adult who was a specialist. Found the problem and fixed it perfectly in literally five minutes. When I told Comcast I would like credit for the three months of no service which was paid, they snarled like hydrophobic wolverines---gave us credit for one month. Big of them.

leitmotiv
02-06-2009, 07:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inadaze:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
On smaller ripoffs:

A couple of weeks ago I went to PCWorld to buy some extra ram for my new laptop. I wasn`t certain if I had the right ram or how easy it would be to install, so in the shop I asked if he`d do it to make sure everything was ok.

He smiled and said, "For £30!"

I stormed out the shop, bought the ram elsewhere and figured it out and installed the ram in 10 minutes at home.

They also charge £30 for popping in a graphics card into your PC! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LoL, aye, PC world will take ya eyes out, I have a mate who kept bringing me pc's to fix, he started getting on my nerves, I didn't mind fixing his PC gratis now and again, but it started being his brothers, mothers, mother in law, nieces and other mates of his I didn't even know. I finally told him I was too busy to do keep on doing them and sent him to PC world, when he saw the prices they charge for basic tasks he started offering to pay or finally started to do simple tasks himself...

PC worlds in store prices tend to be extortionate for parts as well, though often if you check online you can get the stuff you need a lot cheaper from them. I bought a 512meg stick of ram for a laptop from PCW, instore price was £30, but if you booked it online and collected it in store the price was £15. Had similar savings on hard disks, a monitor and a laptop, all by doing the collect at store through their website. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true. I had a brand-new Apple Powerbook. It was insane, no joking. It even cheated at chess! Finally, out of a blue moon, it fried its own HD. The Apple technicians scratched their heads. They had never seen anything like it. Well, now, clearly, the right thing to do would have been to frisbee the monster into a metal compacter and give me a new Powerbook after I had been through six months of terror from the Charles Manson of computing. No way! They put in a new HD and handed it back. It instantly started misbehaving. Apple sent it to their special repair facility in Texas. They couldn't fix it. I had a deal with an Apple exec that they would replace it if Texas couldn't fix it. He refused. I ended up having to buy a simple Apple laptop to back up the insane Powerbook! Finally, I bought a MacBook Pro three years ago which has been excellent. Whenever my Apple fanatic friends go on about the Religion of Jobs, I want to throw a frag grenade into the room! We're talking about technology which cost over 3K USD which completely failed and the manufacturer just gave the middle finger to the consumer. Talk about arrogance.

ploughman
02-06-2009, 08:06 AM
We had a storm a few weeks ago that fried our phone, the wall junction box was zapped by lightning and there were other faults in the network that left the village without comms. Anyway, got the engineer out and he fixed our part of the problem and then he told us how to swerve the bill we'd probably be getting. That is to say the phone company would probably try to bill us for repairing their infrastructure on the off chance that we'd be gullible and pay up.

leitmotiv
02-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Swine!

Outlaw---
02-06-2009, 08:35 AM
In store shops charge a lot b/c they have to pay that guy even when he's not doing anything. They also have to be ready to replace anything he breaks. Also, brick and mortar retail costs an insane amount to run, especially the larger ones. The overhead associated with insurance alone can barely be imagined. Smaller shops can be better depending on the number of employees but unless they are uniquely positioned they usually suffer from a much smaller customer base.

Bottom line is, if you don't want to pay for it, learn to do it yourself.

--Outlaw.

WhiteKnight77
02-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Several years ago I had a DSL modem go **** up on me and after diagnosing it myself to ensure that it was the modem and not a cable or NIC, I called Earthlink support. I got a "tech" from India who wanted me to go that whole route a second time. I asked for someone in the US at that moment.

After trying some things that I did not know about and even trying to ping my PC, the tech OKed me getting a new modem and that I would pay 2 day shipping (this was a Tuesday night). Before I was able to finish with the tech, we got cut off neccessitating me having to call again and going through everything all over again. At the end of the 3 hours I had been on the phone, again, Earthlink was going to send me the new modem with 2 day shipping.

I expected the modem on Thursday and still didn't have it by Friday so I called Earthlink back only to find out it hadn't been shipped and to wait til the next Tuesday or Wednesday to see if it arrived. After waiting the extra days and not recieving it, I called again, only to be given the runaround and finding out that they had lost the order and that they would have to reprocess it. By Saturday I was really irate and on the phone looking for another ISP and called Bellsouth who could send someone out to install everything on Tuesday. I also called Earthlink trying to see where the modem was. I finally asked for someone higher up the chain of command and got some big wig at Earthlink who promised me that a new modem would be rush processed and sent to me by Tuesday, I told her no, I am getting new and faster service with someone else while I had Bellsouth on the other line.

The Bellsouth installer came out and installed my new 6.0MB DSL and did not accept the new Earthlink modem when UPS delivered it the same day.

I got faster service with Bellsouth for $5 more and couldn't get while with Earthlink. Sad really. It should not take 2 weeks to process and ship an order when I can order stuff from Newegg on a Sunday or Monday and get it no later than Thursday (3 days). I also tolD Earthlink to not charge me for any shipping and they didn't.

SeaFireLIV
02-06-2009, 11:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Outlaw---:
In store shops charge a lot b/c they have to pay that guy even when he's not doing anything. They also have to be ready to replace anything he breaks. Also, brick and mortar retail costs an insane amount to run, especially the larger ones. The overhead associated with insurance alone can barely be imagined. Smaller shops can be better depending on the number of employees but unless they are uniquely positioned they usually suffer from a much smaller customer base.

Bottom line is, if you don't want to pay for it, learn to do it yourself.

--Outlaw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That`s one way to look at it from the company side which appears to pertain with my situation with PC World.

However, I was ready to buy that Laptop Ram which was only £20. I left because they wanted to charge me £30 on top for a very simple process of installing it. I left and went to maplins and bought their ram which actually cost £40.

Yes, I payed more.

Had PCWorld not been so lamely price-grabbing, they would have gained £20 from me. The attempt to get an extra £30 lost them any gain and earned a competitor £40.

There is an advantage to doing the little things FREE, because they please the customer and gain his cash in the longer run.

Treating them as idiots who`ll fork out money for the simplist of things will backfire in the end.

leitmotiv
02-06-2009, 11:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
Several years ago I had a DSL modem go **** up on me and after diagnosing it myself to ensure that it was the modem and not a cable or NIC, I called Earthlink support. I got a "tech" from India who wanted me to go that whole route a second time. I asked for someone in the US at that moment.

After trying some things that I did not know about and even trying to ping my PC, the tech OKed me getting a new modem and that I would pay 2 day shipping (this was a Tuesday night). Before I was able to finish with the tech, we got cut off neccessitating me having to call again and going through everything all over again. At the end of the 3 hours I had been on the phone, again, Earthlink was going to send me the new modem with 2 day shipping.

I expected the modem on Thursday and still didn't have it by Friday so I called Earthlink back only to find out it hadn't been shipped and to wait til the next Tuesday or Wednesday to see if it arrived. After waiting the extra days and not recieving it, I called again, only to be given the runaround and finding out that they had lost the order and that they would have to reprocess it. By Saturday I was really irate and on the phone looking for another ISP and called Bellsouth who could send someone out to install everything on Tuesday. I also called Earthlink trying to see where the modem was. I finally asked for someone higher up the chain of command and got some big wig at Earthlink who promised me that a new modem would be rush processed and sent to me by Tuesday, I told her no, I am getting new and faster service with someone else while I had Bellsouth on the other line.

The Bellsouth installer came out and installed my new 6.0MB DSL and did not accept the new Earthlink modem when UPS delivered it the same day.

I got faster service with Bellsouth for $5 more and couldn't get while with Earthlink. Sad really. It should not take 2 weeks to process and ship an order when I can order stuff from Newegg on a Sunday or Monday and get it no later than Thursday (3 days). I also tolD Earthlink to not charge me for any shipping and they didn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Earthlink!!!!!!! If I were a Commissar, the first to be shot would be Earthlink employees. I could fill 50 pages with nightmares about them---especially after they "out-sourced" tech help to India, the Philippines, Mars, Outer Mongolia, and Dogpatch.

WhiteKnight77
02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
What really sucks is that Bellsouth was bought by AT&T who I dislike also. I am waiting for Verizon FIOS to enter my area, but I might have a long wait.

leitmotiv
02-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Compared to my Earthlink nightmares (they once cut my area off from internet access for two weeks with no explanation---if there had been a natural disaster, I'd have understood, but there was nothing to explain the cut-off!).

Compared to them, AT&T has been fine---for now, anyway.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-06-2009, 12:14 PM
The worst of the bunch is the bank. I'm getting ready to leave Bank of America over this but I'm afraid they are all this way. Anything that has their name on it is plastered with promotion for their "online banking", what they don't tell you is that it is a worthless scam that feeds you mis-information in order to lie to you about your balance and incur draconian and unbearable over-draft fees. They constantly change the rules so that if you "learn your lesson" one month the next time you're tight and you do what they told you to avoid fee's they've already changed the rules so that you overdraft 15 times over .35 cents. If I put a cash deposit into an ATM and the receipt shows my balance is say $45 and the online balance reflects this as well even showing the deposit, I damn well expect there to be $45 in there, but I transferred $35 to my wife's account online that night and guess what, the next day they changed the online to show that the deposited money was not there and I had gotten gas with the remaining money so there was $35 down the toilet. On top of that, they put through a few charges that they had been holding on to for over a month, I'm fully convinced they held them on purpose to charge me more overdrafts, I ended up owing over $250 because they lied to me about the balance. If you call them they add the items up for you in a different order every time, they tell you it comes out in the order you swipe, then take it out from largest to smallest, then next time they add it up as you put it in instead of largest first. I asked to speak to a manager but there is none! I called a friend who works for the bank to check if I was lied to and I wasn't there is NO ESCALATION PROCESS at all!!!

leitmotiv
02-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Yes, banks engage in highway robbery all the time. Make a mistake and they gouge your savings. When I was in college, Barclay's USA didn't register a deposit I made because they still used manual accounting in 1979, if you can believe it, and it took them about a week to recognize my deposit. Meanwhile, a ton of checks I wrote came it. The #%%##@@!!! charged me something like $150.00 in fines. To a broke college student that was like asking for a million.

R_Target
02-06-2009, 12:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
What really sucks is that Bellsouth was bought by AT&T who I dislike also. I am waiting for Verizon FIOS to enter my area, but I might have a long wait. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh heh, you guys have no idea. I live in a rural area and the options are dial-up or satellite. The worst landline providers can't hold a candle to the crooks at Hughesnet.

leitmotiv
02-06-2009, 12:42 PM
I have a friend who is on Hughesnet in rural West Virginia. She doesn't even bother to use her computer!

I_KG100_Prien
02-06-2009, 12:57 PM
HAH!

Hughesnet.. they are criminal enterprise indeed. Before I moved out to the boondoggles of Oregon where I know they didn't have cable internet.. I needed a broadband provider. I (dumbly) asked my father if they had DSL out here and he said "No..." (should have followed up with research of my own).

So I got Hughes.net. Everything was fine until the day I started downloading a large file. Things went fine for awhile then the transfer speed dropped down to nothing. My wife called tech support to see if there was something wrong with the equipment. THAT (not during the call to get it set up) is when they told us about the "Fair Access Policy" and that we only had a certain amount of bandwidth to use per day. The only time we could download large files was around midnight pacific.

It would have been nice to know that before finalizing the deal with them.... To top it off it turns out that when my Father had researched DSL- it was two years ago.... Further digging found out that DSL was indeed available. So lucky for me I was still in my "30 day window" with Hughesnet.. canceling the satellite only cost me 500 bucks instead of 700.

Had they told me about the "FAP" in the beginning I'd never of signed on with them.... which is probably why they don't mention that crap.

As far as banks go.. I'm glad the bank I use doesn't suck :P

Choctaw111
02-06-2009, 02:24 PM
@Urufu_Shinjiro

Don't even get me started about the banks.
I have had many dealings with them, and most of them just want my money, especially the last account I opened. I have accounts with several different banks, but this last one really takes the cake ( I really have no choice as after I moved last year, this bank is the closest...not necessarily the most convenient however).
I sometimes will take money from one of my banks, get a cashiers check (you know, the kind of checks you just can't write, but MUST have the funds available to write that check) made by the bank itself and then hand deliver it to my other bank nearly an hour away. The first time I did this I needed the money in my new account to cover my mortgage payment as none of my money gets direct deposited to that account. After making the certified check deposit, I mailed the mortgage payment. A few days later I was charged a fee for not having enough money in that account. I had deposited more than enough to cover the mortgage payment. I found out after a very irate phone call, that the bank takes 5 business days to honor a cashiers check from another bank.
When I first opened my account at the "new" bank, I let them know that I know that they are a business...to make money off of my money. I live in a VERY rural area, with horse and buggies driving around...You know, Amish country. This bank was robbed! I even told them that had I been there I would have shot that SOB.
Anyway banks are one of the worst. They take your money at over 20%, but give you about 1% in interest.
Do you know how much you need at this bank to get a whopping 2% interest? $50,000 total in their bank. What a deal http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
They even called me and wanted me to deposit even more money in their bank. They called me to solicit me. I have never had that happen from a bank before. More later. I have to step out.

crucislancer
02-06-2009, 02:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
The worst of the bunch is the bank. I'm getting ready to leave Bank of America over this but I'm afraid they are all this way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BoA is pretty bad. We went through a similar deal with them a little over a year ago, where we thought we had money in the bank, but in the end they charged us a boat load of overdraft fees, one for each charge we made on our debit cards. We protested, they said pay it. We went to WaMu. Now, I agree, most banks are the same, they will do anything in their power to get your money, and shady overdraft fees are just one of them. But, so far we havenít had any problems with them. Of course, they were recently purchased by Chase, so itís up in the air how thatís all going to work out.

My wife and I were talking about how prices have gone up at the grocery yet in some cases the amount of food per item has gone down. If you go to The Consumerist (http://consumerist.com/), you see a lot about the Grocery Shrink Ray. Weíve both seen the bad bulk deals as well.

nickdanger3
02-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Here's a post from my blog from 2007. Note, Gene is my dad, GG is his girlfriend.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
So just got a call from Gene.

He and GG (aka Alex) were selling their Jeep. Why you ask? Well, it seems that Gene forgot to replace the radiator cap tightly enough one day a few weeks ago....wait, that's another story....

Oh yeah. B of A(hole). G and GG sell the Jeep to some dude and insist on going to his bank to get the cash and taking said cash over to their own bank. Hypervigilant, antiscammers that they are, they were concerned that even getting a cashiers check in this day and age does not mean that you are not being scammed.

News to me - I thought they were always legit, but Gene informs me that they are really just another type of personal check and that money could be withdrawn in the mean time.

So anyway, GG get's the moolah from BofA(hole) and takes it to her own bank where she is informed that one of the 45 $100 bills is in fact counterfeit. GG returns to BofA(hole) where she explains the situation and they tell her....

"SUCKAH!"

Ok. It was probably more like "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that there is nothing that we can do. As a consumer you need to be responsible for making sure of the validity of every financial transaction. blahblahblah..."

Call supervisor...

Stonewall.

Call supervisor's supervisor....

Deny.

Scene ends where GG turns to the customers in the lobby of B of A(hole) and (hopefully quite loudly) says:

"EVERYBODY! If you're getting cash, better make sure it's not counterfeit. These guys just slipped me a fake $100 bill and won't admit it ! BE CAREFUL !"

Tonight Gene and GG are planning their media strategy including TV, newspaper and a rarely read blog concerned (usually) with children, model airplanes, and other subjects with very little mass appeal. Every little bit helps.

UPDATE: June 13. BofA relents ! $100 is coming to Gene/GG via the dude who bought the jeep. Always nice to have a cause. With this out of the way we'll have to move on to other more important issues.

ffb
02-06-2009, 03:12 PM
'Cheats never prosper'...

Oh sure, they may seem to short-term, but in the long run....nah

They annoy me, sure, but i feel sorry for them, creating future suffering for themselves for a small gain now.

SlickStick
02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nickdanger3:
News to me - I thought they were always legit, but Gene informs me that they are really just another type of personal check and that money could be withdrawn in the mean time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's news to me as well. I was always under the impression that the funds were frozen in the account the certified cashier's check is drawn from to ensure that the above couldn't happen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

At least that is how it went down the last time I used a certified cashier's check.

Choctaw111
02-06-2009, 03:56 PM
When I get a cashiers check (I have done this countless times) from my bank, the amount of the cashiers check MUST be present in my account, and when the cashiers check is typed up in the bank's machine, the funds are immediately withdrawn that my account.
Only one time did I get a cashiers check from the bank and did not use it. I returned the check to the bank several days later. I had to write "Not used for intended purpose" on the back, and that money was put immediately back into my account.

berg417448
02-06-2009, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlickStick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nickdanger3:
News to me - I thought they were always legit, but Gene informs me that they are really just another type of personal check and that money could be withdrawn in the mean time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's news to me as well. I was always under the impression that the funds were frozen in the account the certified cashier's check is drawn from to ensure that the above couldn't happen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

At least that is how it went down the last time I used a certified cashier's check. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


They are probably just thinking about all of those fake cashiers checks that the "Nigeria scammers" send out to people who fall for their schemes.

SlickStick
02-06-2009, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choctaw111:
When I get a cashiers check (I have done this countless times) from my bank, the amount of the cashiers check MUST be present in my account, and when the cashiers check is typed up in the bank's machine, the funds are immediately withdrawn that my account.
Only one time did I get a cashiers check from the bank and did not use it. I returned the check to the bank several days later. I had to write "Not used for intended purpose" on the back, and that money was put immediately back into my account. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is my experience as well. I thought I was going crazy for a sec....well, crazier might be a better word. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Choctaw111
02-06-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't know of any way to trick the bank into writing you a cashiers/certified check for money that you don't have, or being able to withdraw/overdraw money at some point immediately following the cashiers check being issued.
Once the cashiers check is issued, that amount of money on the check is "reserved" for that check and is available until the check is cashed by the recipient.
If you have $1,000 and have a certified check issued for $750, you will only have $250 left in the bank that you can withdraw from. If you take out any more money than the $250 that is left, you will be charged heavily for overdrawing your account, but the bank will still honor the certified check for $750.

WhiteKnight77
02-07-2009, 12:29 AM
I haven't dealt with a regular bank in many years. I have 2 different accounts in credit unions (one since 73) and if I make a deposit, said money is credited to the account that day at that time being 10 AM or 6:30 PM (like Friday's when they are open late). If I use the night deposit, it is posted to my account at 9
AM when they open.

ATM deposits always take a couple of days to register so I always deposit physically unless I have to mail in a deposit (I am out of town due to work lots of times), it typically takes 2 days to reach the credit union and post.

One thing that many need to remember, a bank or credit union will pay on a check immediately (Bank 21 rules or something similar named is the reason and was introduced a couple of years ago). If a bank gets your rent check on Tuesday, your bank will pay said check that day electronically instead of when it physically gets the check like they used to. As many of you already noted, they make $30 or more for overdraws on your account, if they pay the check at all.

If any of you have a chance to join a credit union, do so, interest rates are a bit better than what banks offer typically. One savings account earns .50% APY and the other gets 1.01% APY (makes me wish I had saved more when I was younger and interests rates were over 8% for savings accounts). Also, with credit union membership, you also own a share in it (most have a requirment of $5 per share with a minimum of a $5 balance for the savings account).

steiner562
02-07-2009, 01:04 AM
+1 on the Credit Unions,my one has never left me down in anyway.

sakai2005
02-07-2009, 01:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:
Another thing while I think of it..GIFT CARDS! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

These are abominations from the devil! No matter what you do with these cards you will never able to get the money put into one and actually shop in another store you may actually want to shop in! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif That and the fact that even if the store only owes you 50 cents on the card do you believe you will get any money whatsoever back. NO WAY. Not even a blessed crumby penny! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

and if you spend more then the gift card is for because the gift card is a small amount and you need to put in some of your own cash to actually buy something useful you won't get that back either! And that is YOUR MONEY! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Your money is literally held hostage till you manage to find a lot of crap you may or may not want.

The giver of these cards spends real cash on the card but apparently the store in no way whatsoever feels one should get any of it back.

They act like you BARTERED for the card with your old used underwear! Amazing..and say you want to return the item because it sucks and want the cash to buy something that that store doesn't carry.

No way! You are stuck finding SOMETHING in that store you probably don't want just to get the barter value out of that card.

Gift cards are a tool of the devil and anyone that buys one for someone else should burn in eternity with him while forced to try to use a store gift card to barter for a nonexistant air conditioner or cool drink from a hot Indian spices cooking store! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


They cant pull that crap here anymore thanks to a new law.and if its ten dollars or less on the card left they have to give you cash (IF) you ask for it. problem is the stores dont tell there employes this and most peaple still dont know they can ask for the odd money back.I just went thru this at book store had to set them straight on state law.

DuxCorvan
02-07-2009, 05:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ffb:
'Cheats never prosper'...

Oh sure, they may seem to short-term, but in the long run....nah

They annoy me, sure, but i feel sorry for them, creating future suffering for themselves for a small gain now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol. Self-cheating works fine, I see. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

"Wow, daddy's money is terrible for my karma" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7457/db9053np4.jpg

BTOG46
02-07-2009, 07:20 AM
'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'
Thomas Jefferson 1802
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

stalkervision
02-07-2009, 07:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sakai2005:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:
Another thing while I think of it..GIFT CARDS! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

These are abominations from the devil! No matter what you do with these cards you will never able to get the money put into one and actually shop in another store you may actually want to shop in! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif That and the fact that even if the store only owes you 50 cents on the card do you believe you will get any money whatsoever back. NO WAY. Not even a blessed crumby penny! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

and if you spend more then the gift card is for because the gift card is a small amount and you need to put in some of your own cash to actually buy something useful you won't get that back either! And that is YOUR MONEY! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Your money is literally held hostage till you manage to find a lot of crap you may or may not want.

The giver of these cards spends real cash on the card but apparently the store in no way whatsoever feels one should get any of it back.

They act like you BARTERED for the card with your old used underwear! Amazing..and say you want to return the item because it sucks and want the cash to buy something that that store doesn't carry.

No way! You are stuck finding SOMETHING in that store you probably don't want just to get the barter value out of that card.

Gift cards are a tool of the devil and anyone that buys one for someone else should burn in eternity with him while forced to try to use a store gift card to barter for a nonexistant air conditioner or cool drink from a hot Indian spices cooking store! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


They cant pull that crap here anymore thanks to a new law.and if its ten dollars or less on the card left they have to give you cash (IF) you ask for it. problem is the stores dont tell there employes this and most peaple still dont know they can ask for the odd money back.I just went thru this at book store had to set them straight on state law. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your real lucky you live in that state. Of course it isn't general knowledge so they take advantage right. Which state is it?

Bet you had to argue for quite a while huh? Good for you!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Bearcat99
02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Here in this area Maryland & DC PEPCO customers are being gouged big time... some as much as 30%.. and get this... it hasnt even been all that cold.