PDA

View Full Version : Help me (and others) fly better online.

Col_Tibbetts
01-27-2004, 09:18 AM
I have been playing FB for some time and I am pretty good. I can get kills and get killed with the best of them. However since the sound has changed (an improvement which is more realistic and much needed) I find myself jumping in my seat as the unexpected Yak blows my wing off without any warning.

There is a lot of good advise out there. I mostly fly boom and zoom planes (Axis anything and American fighters) since they are much more of a challenge. I realize that these planes were high alt. fighters and have no business turning with the low alt Russian hot rods. What worked in the past was to zoom down into a dogfight, take some pot-shots, and zoom back up to a safe alt. Unfortuneatley now the odd Yak-9 or La-7 will follow you up and be right on your tail. Pre-patch I would not zoom back down when I heard a Russian on my tail during my climb back to altitude. This was where my high speed, high alt. plane shined. Since the Russian started low and slow he could not continue to climb since I had much more energy than him after my initial dive. Now you don't get that warning and he gets you when you come down for your next B&Z dive.

Don't get me wrong. I like the changes and I feel it is more realistic. However we need to completely change tactics to compensate for the lack of warning one could rely on from the old sonar sounds. FB is a totally new game now.

Many people say not to dogfight and not to fly low in high alt. planes. However there is a reason why online servers are called DOGFIGHT servers. There are no high alt. incentives (bombers, etc.) so people are never up there. They are always in low and slow dogfights. Fly above 4000 meters on any given dogfight server and you are in for a lonely time. Therefore the turn and burn planes get to dictate the fight since if you do catch one up high he will dive low to where he has an advantage.

We really need some sort of objective at high alt. on online servers to get Ivan up there. That way he wouldn't be able to determine the fight to his advantage.

So how do you guys fight now? Are u constantly looking around? Are u relying on wingmen in TeamSpeak to warn you that someone is crawling up your six? New tactics needed!

Col. Tibbetts

Col_Tibbetts
01-27-2004, 09:18 AM
I have been playing FB for some time and I am pretty good. I can get kills and get killed with the best of them. However since the sound has changed (an improvement which is more realistic and much needed) I find myself jumping in my seat as the unexpected Yak blows my wing off without any warning.

There is a lot of good advise out there. I mostly fly boom and zoom planes (Axis anything and American fighters) since they are much more of a challenge. I realize that these planes were high alt. fighters and have no business turning with the low alt Russian hot rods. What worked in the past was to zoom down into a dogfight, take some pot-shots, and zoom back up to a safe alt. Unfortuneatley now the odd Yak-9 or La-7 will follow you up and be right on your tail. Pre-patch I would not zoom back down when I heard a Russian on my tail during my climb back to altitude. This was where my high speed, high alt. plane shined. Since the Russian started low and slow he could not continue to climb since I had much more energy than him after my initial dive. Now you don't get that warning and he gets you when you come down for your next B&Z dive.

Don't get me wrong. I like the changes and I feel it is more realistic. However we need to completely change tactics to compensate for the lack of warning one could rely on from the old sonar sounds. FB is a totally new game now.

Many people say not to dogfight and not to fly low in high alt. planes. However there is a reason why online servers are called DOGFIGHT servers. There are no high alt. incentives (bombers, etc.) so people are never up there. They are always in low and slow dogfights. Fly above 4000 meters on any given dogfight server and you are in for a lonely time. Therefore the turn and burn planes get to dictate the fight since if you do catch one up high he will dive low to where he has an advantage.

We really need some sort of objective at high alt. on online servers to get Ivan up there. That way he wouldn't be able to determine the fight to his advantage.

So how do you guys fight now? Are u constantly looking around? Are u relying on wingmen in TeamSpeak to warn you that someone is crawling up your six? New tactics needed!

Col. Tibbetts

SeaFireLIV
01-27-2004, 09:28 AM
All I can say is my virtual head is literally on a swivel now. I constantly look around. And though I normally use TS with my Squad, now it`s more important than ever! Even in simple formation flying.

SeaFireLIV...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/Dark.jpg

AirBot
01-27-2004, 01:32 PM
I've always been looking around me, even with the old sonar sound. Basically, what you need is to constantly be checking your six. If possible, fly slow sweeping arcs to be able to see more of your 6.
But most importantly, always, I mean ALWAYS check your six. Even when in a vicious TnB dogfight down low, constantly check your six to make sure you're not being followed. I can't begin to tell you how many times that saved my hide in a dogfight.

ucanfly
01-27-2004, 01:40 PM
I look behind me at least as much as directly forward. I now find the P-47s more of a handicap because of theat big seat in your way.

Capt_Kernel
01-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Usually when I enter a game I will survey the planes that are flying at the present time. I then chose the best plane to fly to counter the tatics of the other planes. As people might change their planes I may change. It works pretty well for me, of course I notice some people stick pretty much to one plane but I like to fly different planes and change tatics through out the game. Good Hunting...........S!

http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/jsmuz/desertsharks.jpg