PDA

View Full Version : Noob (me) online for 1st time! And question on Vulching.

ake109
07-04-2007, 04:14 AM
Hyperlobby is everything you guys said it would be. Most excellent program! How the heck would anyone have played on the default Ubi multiplayer option in the game is beyond me!

So far I have only played on the 'no-cockpit' servers. I don't have those fancy HOTAS type rigs set-up for quick turning of the pilot's head and would probably die 20 secs after take-off with cockpit on.

So, what is this thing about 'vulching'. OK, so no shooting of planes on the ground, only bombs allowed, that part is easy to understand.

So, how far away must a plane be from the airfield before its not considered vulching? If the guy has just retracted his gear and is still low and slow, can I shoot him without being considered un-sporting?

If my airplane is full of holes and I am about to get turned into a fireball anyway, is it considered unsporting to kamikaze into that nice cluster of enemy planes waiting to take-off? Is that vulching?

Is the Do-335 considered nooby? I got called names for using it.

Excluding those bomb kills (one was the classic drop bomb at low level and guy on six got blown up! that was fun!!!)it was like a 1 to 15 kill/loss ratio on my first outing. Can't get worse than that in the future I hope!

ake109
07-04-2007, 04:14 AM
Hyperlobby is everything you guys said it would be. Most excellent program! How the heck would anyone have played on the default Ubi multiplayer option in the game is beyond me!

So far I have only played on the 'no-cockpit' servers. I don't have those fancy HOTAS type rigs set-up for quick turning of the pilot's head and would probably die 20 secs after take-off with cockpit on.

So, what is this thing about 'vulching'. OK, so no shooting of planes on the ground, only bombs allowed, that part is easy to understand.

So, how far away must a plane be from the airfield before its not considered vulching? If the guy has just retracted his gear and is still low and slow, can I shoot him without being considered un-sporting?

If my airplane is full of holes and I am about to get turned into a fireball anyway, is it considered unsporting to kamikaze into that nice cluster of enemy planes waiting to take-off? Is that vulching?

Is the Do-335 considered nooby? I got called names for using it.

Excluding those bomb kills (one was the classic drop bomb at low level and guy on six got blown up! that was fun!!!)it was like a 1 to 15 kill/loss ratio on my first outing. Can't get worse than that in the future I hope!

LW_lcarp
07-04-2007, 04:42 AM
It all depends on which server you fly in. Most that ive seen say as soon as the plane wheels leave earth its fair game to fill em full of holes.

And you will get called a noob in flying anything that has lazers for cannons turns on a dime (and gives you 5 penneys and a nickel change). And also anything that flys fast is noobish. Lets face it if you shoot down anyone the plane you are using is a noob plane. so if its offered fly it. Who cares what they think.

As far as hurt and going to crash anyway why not take em out. If they complain just tell em opps sorry had no control.

Whirlin_merlin
07-04-2007, 05:10 AM

Depends on the server. On ours 'UK dedicated 1,2,and 3' the rule states that you should allow the plane time to gain sufficent speed and altitude. Now obviously this can be concidered ambiguous and is open to interpretation. However if you concider the reason behind the rule it becomes clear.
We don't want our servers to be a free for all dogfight centered around the bases (not that there is anything wrong with that, its just not what we are after), we want players to concentrate on the 'mission' attacking and defending targets. After all our talented map makes have put a lot of thought into this.
Also in reality bases would have been further apart and better defended.

Something else to concider is that this is a game and should be fun, having your bomber blown up every time it tries to take off gets boring pretty quick.

We do allow vulching with bombs and rockets 'cos you can't loiter/camp and keep doing it (and its funny).

As to if something is 'un-sporting' that's easy just ask 'How would I feel if it happened to me?'.

WOLFMondo
07-04-2007, 09:12 AM
If servers allow vulching, go for it. Its part of war. Servers where they allow unrestricted vulching usually have people covering those airfields.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We don't want our servers to be a free for all dogfight centered around the bases (not that there is anything wrong with that, its just not what we are after), we want players to concentrate on the 'mission' attacking and defending targets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't often see that kind of thing on Zeke Vs Wild cat or Warclouds and they allow unrestricted vulching. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Brain32
07-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Yes, well I personally do not understand vulching restrictions, what do we have all that nice flak models for? Sure if you don't properly protect the bases, vulching will be too easy and annoying, but if you place it nicely, they'll think twice before doing something like that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Whirlin_merlin
07-04-2007, 09:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
If servers allow vulching, go for it. Its part of war. Servers where they allow unrestricted vulching usually have people covering those airfields.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We don't want our servers to be a free for all dogfight centered around the bases (not that there is anything wrong with that, its just not what we are after), we want players to concentrate on the 'mission' attacking and defending targets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't often see that kind of thing on Zeke Vs Wild cat or Warclouds and they allow unrestricted vulching. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfectly true, I just explained the reasoning behind why we don't allow vulching, thought it might help explain why different servers use different rules on vulching. Of coures on the 2 'full switch' servers you mention it is not a 'base fight' but 2 of ours have settings similar to servers that are. Just to reiterate I'm not impling superiority of any way of playing a game over any other. So no need for any smugitude http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Brain32 AAA is a fps killer for many with less than stellar hardware so a balance must be found.

BBB_Hyperion
07-04-2007, 09:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brain32:
Yes, well I personally do not understand vulching restrictions, what do we have all that nice flak models for? Sure if you don't properly protect the bases, vulching will be too easy and annoying, but if you place it nicely, they'll think twice before doing something like that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Problem is flak needs to be reduced to keep players from complaining about fps .

FI-Skipper
07-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Generally I would say don't vulch. It's an ugly part of the game and although it happend in war the only reason anyone ever does it is because they can't beat people in a proper dogfight. You'll gain more respect from players and have more fun if you engage in a proper dogfight or execute a brilliantly planned boom and zoom kill than you will ever have vulching. Plus you won't ever improve your fighting skills by shooting at planes that are stationary and cannot fight back. Sometimes if People have their gear down or lights on I fly past them and give them a flash of lights or smoke and a little victory roll. This just improves the atmosphere of the game and also gives you the great feeling of "I could have shot that guy down but it was just TOO easy" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maybe it's too "sporting"...but anything else is just not cricket! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

crucislancer
07-04-2007, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FI-Skipper:
Generally I would say don't vulch. It's an ugly part of the game and although it happend in war the only reason anyone ever does it is because they can't beat people in a proper dogfight. You'll gain more respect from players and have more fun if you engage in a proper dogfight or execute a brilliantly planned boom and zoom kill than you will ever have vulching. Plus you won't ever improve your fighting skills by shooting at planes that are stationary and cannot fight back. Sometimes if People have their gear down or lights on I fly past them and give them a flash of lights or smoke and a little victory roll. This just improves the atmosphere of the game and also gives you the great feeling of "I could have shot that guy down but it was just TOO easy" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maybe it's too "sporting"...but anything else is just not cricket! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true. My thread "high-speed finally" has some questions about vulching as well.

Having a little chivalry goes a long way in my opinion. In one of my first dogfights, some joker thought it was funny to vulch me and another guy every time we respawned on the airfield. I got him back, though. I moved to a different field and hunted him down. I took great pleasure in smoking that meathead.

FI-Skipper
07-04-2007, 10:39 AM
I bet you did http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Kills like that are always the best http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

StkNRdr
07-04-2007, 10:57 AM
So ake109, if you want don't care whether other pilots respect you for your abilities as a pilot, then vulch. If however, you wish to improve you own skills and want to be respected by other pilots for those abilites, then don't vulch. This goes no matter what the rules of the server state.

willyvic
07-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Vulching, or rather base attacking, is a viable tactical tool utilized to neutralize the opponents ability to meet its mission.

When a side is flying a with coordinated effort the attacking of an opponents airbase may be the difference between winning or losing the map.

For example, when the mission dictates our side must attack targets to win we will frequently assign a flight of 3 or 4 to tie up the enemy at their home base(s).

This does a number of things:

1. It assists the ground pounders by reducing the number of bandits over target areas.

2. It usually p*sses off the opposition to the extent that they get flustered and make mistakes.

3. It drives the enemy from that base and usually puts them farther away from the action.

4. It makes for great reading in the chat bar.

Vulching has its place in the overall scheme of things. It's up to the pilots on the receiving end to learn how to deal with it. If your getting snuffed everytime you spawn in perhaps a change of address is in order.

WV

FI-Skipper
07-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Surely your pilots would be good enough to shoot enemy planes over the target area rather than resorting to vulching?...

Like I say...only poor pilots vulch

willyvic
07-04-2007, 12:32 PM
I will pit our skills against any at anytime. Look us up on Warclouds or ZvW. We're not hard to find.

You are of course enititled to your opinion.

However, if you have nothing to add but insults then we are done communicating.

WV

FI-Skipper
07-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Sorry if you took it as insulting and perhaps my view is wrong.

I was referring to those who purely vulch for kills and cannot dogfight for toffee.

Perhaps you and your squadron are the exception to this but I stand by my opinion that most vulchers are poor pilots.

willyvic
07-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Rodger, misunderstanding then. Salute!

Cya in the virtual skies sometime.

WV

FI-Skipper
07-04-2007, 01:03 PM
You too mate and if any of your boys need cover over the target zone i'll be happy to help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif