PDA

View Full Version : Aiming Rockets

Ace_Hyflyer
05-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Hello everyone, me again.

This time, I'd like some advice on how to aim rockets effectively? I'm in the beginning of the IL-2 campaign (russian bomber) in the IL-2 series 1 with 16 RS-82. I can't seem to aim these at all, and then sometimes I see the rockets going off right next to the tank (or bracketing it) and no damage. Help!!!

I'm on IL-2 Sturmovik (original) version 1.2

Thanks,
Chris

Ace_Hyflyer
05-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Hello everyone, me again.

This time, I'd like some advice on how to aim rockets effectively? I'm in the beginning of the IL-2 campaign (russian bomber) in the IL-2 series 1 with 16 RS-82. I can't seem to aim these at all, and then sometimes I see the rockets going off right next to the tank (or bracketing it) and no damage. Help!!!

I'm on IL-2 Sturmovik (original) version 1.2

Thanks,
Chris

PBNA-Boosher
05-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Okey dokey, not too hard here.

Wait until you're within 500 meters of the target, generally 300 meters is the best firing range, and then fix your gunsight above the target. This will allow the rockets to drop in their flight path and hit the target either dead on or extremely close to it.

Zeus-cat
05-17-2005, 06:28 PM
You shouldn't be attacking tanks with RS-82 rockets. RS-82s are meant for soft targets like trucks, halftracks, trains and artillery. Armored targets like medium and heavy tanks require BRS-82 or BRS-132 rockets.

Another idea is to volley rockets at a single tank or a group of tanks. Instead of firing 2 rockets try 4, 6 or even 8 rockets in a single attack. It may seem wasteful, but is it better to destroy a tank or two in an attack with a volley than to miss every time by firing one pair at a time?

Zeus-cat

RxMan
05-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Don't forget to set convergance and delay fuse to at least 3 seconds, I prefer 5 for ground attack just in case I have to do a long shot. No matter the setting they will explode when they impact something, or the timed fuse reaches it's end.

AlGroover
05-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Don't set rocket convergence too short or rocket paths will cross and bracket your target. I get better results if I err on the long side.

Ace_Hyflyer
05-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys,

This looks like it will help a lot.

@Zeus-cat. Do Panzer II and III's count as medium/heavy tanks? I'd definitely like a little heavier rockets, but at the beginning of the Russian Bomber campaign, RS82's are all you get. I'll definitely have to try firing volleys.

Thanks again,
Chris

HellToupee
05-17-2005, 07:08 PM
if tanks are close together set convergance far and come in side on to them you can get 2 tanks each pass http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mjr_health
05-17-2005, 09:17 PM
i have my rockets convergence set to 400 meters. Fire fist set above target and next set lower as you get closer. Hit 3 bridges in a row the other day on one run. At 100 meters they should almost fly direct at target. Takes a little practice.

Tallyho1961
05-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Try Dart's page (http://www.darts-page.com/) He's got great training movies including one on attacking ground targets with guns/rockets/bombs. They're in wmv format which is great because you don't need to crank up IL2 to watch them.