PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Myst 5

MagratGarlick
04-09-2005, 07:38 AM
As someone who has played every version on Myst over the years, loving the slow cerebral notion of Myst, I look forward to "total immersion" in a Myst World. As the immersion has improved though it would bu great to have an on screen compass to help stop me getting lost as I have done in some of the "twisty mazes" in Revelation.

Magrat

MagratGarlick
04-09-2005, 07:38 AM
As someone who has played every version on Myst over the years, loving the slow cerebral notion of Myst, I look forward to "total immersion" in a Myst World. As the immersion has improved though it would bu great to have an on screen compass to help stop me getting lost as I have done in some of the "twisty mazes" in Revelation.

Magrat

JadesDream
04-09-2005, 01:17 PM
I know what you mean...but after the 25th trip down the path looking for my spirit guide I finally was forced to use the environment as my directional guide. "Ok let's see...pass the rock with the bubbles, go over the small bridge (NOT the big one), see the water rushing by...turn slightly left and BINGO...small pond...yay...oops wrong turn, start over..." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif Still...it was a fun challenge. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

uecasm
04-09-2005, 10:37 PM
That's why realtime-rendered games (as MV is going to be) are better than slideshow/node-based games (as MIV was) -- it's a LOT harder to get lost when you're doing continuous movement, rather than jumping from node to node http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Having it in third-person makes it even easier to keep track of where you are. Not sure yet whether MV will have a third-person option, though.

mszv
04-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Yeah, didn't think of that - it's sure is possible for me to get lost in a 3D realtime game, but harder. There's more landmarks and more of a feeling of movement.

I kept getting lost in the lovely Myst IV. A compass would have helped, as well as the map being easier to get to.

Dark Screen
04-16-2005, 11:54 PM
yeah, navigating 2d nature scenes almost made me quit the game. 2d sucks. A compass would have been weird.

thewebb
04-23-2005, 10:13 AM
i like the node style because it enables better graphics. i still reakon riven has about the best graphics of any game ever.

however in myst iv it was really hard when you had to do the water chanelling puzzle. the nodes were too far apart to tell what connected to what.

Deg__
04-23-2005, 05:27 PM
The good news is that Myst V will support two seperate navigation modes: node-based (point and click) and free-movement (WASD keys).

Cheers,
Deg

thewebb
04-24-2005, 12:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deg__:
The good news is that Myst V will support two seperate navigation modes: node-based (point and click) and free-movement (WASD keys).

Cheers,
Deg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know they are enabling the option of point and click but are you sure it's node-based? that would be kind of a waste of a 3D engine.

Deg__
04-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Since a lot of people seem to be getting confused over conflicting definitons for terms, I hope this can clarify:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Not to worry. We are including both navigation styles as separate modes!

The familiar point and click interface that people who felt comfortable with Myst and Riven will feel like they've come back home. With the added benefit of real-time 3D (transition to nodes will be a smooth animated camera and more). No need to worry about trying to get to an exact spot (we'll take you there) or trying to point the camera just right (we'll show what's interesting). This is the easiest way to get around and you can play the whole game with the mouse and a mouse button. This will be the default mode, so anyone can jump into the game and play.

Also, there is a full gamer style free movement interface, that can be controlled with two hands (mouse looking with one hand and movement and strafing with the other hand) or one handed (if you map the mouse buttons to movement). This is the go everywhere mode that you can explore every nook and cranny. But of course, you might miss something and navigation might be more difficult, but you are in full control.

And also, we are experimenting with a mode that is inbetween the two that is showing some promise.

Mark DeForest
CTO
Cyan Worlds, Inc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers,
- Deg -

thewebb
04-24-2005, 08:32 PM
yeah that makes sence. having a moving camera between nodes makes use of the 3D engine and could not be done with a real node based game.

Alahmnat
04-24-2005, 11:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thewebb:
yeah that makes sence. having a moving camera between nodes makes use of the 3D engine and could not be done with a real node based game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, it *can* be done in a pre-rendered game, it's just really, REALLY hard and takes up gigabytes of space when you start trying to dump transitions into really large gamespaces. Schizm has animated transitions, but the static image quality suffers for it. Journeyman Projects 2 and 3 also had them, and while JP2 wasn't bad when it came to the image quality, JP3 was, on the whole, rather fuzzy throughout because of the rather infant tech they used for the nodes back in '97.

Anyways, I'm glad Cyan's leaving in the free-form FPS-style controls while still realizing that a large part of the target audience for Myst just isn't good at using such a scheme http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. I think I might need to launch a new photography contest on DPWR when this comes out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Mowog
04-25-2005, 12:04 PM
This is really interesting news! While I thoroughly enjoyed the node navigation in the earlier titles, the fact always remained that without a smooth flow of scenery going by, it was occasionally difficult to track exactly where you were going. You could see where you were, but it wasn't always clear exactly how you'd gotten there. Myst IV was no different. On several occasions, while trying to find my way through the jungle in Haven, I would land in a node where the path split; pan around to see where to go; take a branch of the path; and find myself back where I'd just come from. I wouldn't have done that in real life, and again I'll repeat my observation that "anything that's simple to do in real life should be simple in a simulation." All of this to say that I greatly prefer free-roaming. For me anyway, it just makes it a LOT easier to get around.