PDA

View Full Version : Poll for favorite VVS plane of Barbarossa

CzechTexan
02-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Hello all,
I'm planning on doing a campaign using the Kiev/Ukraine map for Operation Barbarossa til the fall of Kiev. I'd like to get your opinions on which type of Red plane you'd like to fly for these missions.

The starting date would be around July 9, 1941 when the Germans reached Berdychev. The most common type was the I-16. The I-153 was probably used more in the ground attack role. The MiG-3 and LaGG-3 were used in lesser numbers. The IL-2 was used in larger numbers just before the fall of Kiev. I'll have to check resources but the Pe-3 is also a possibility to fly. Which would you like to see?

Comments, opinions, and suggestions are welcome for discussion.

CzechTexan
02-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Hello all,
I'm planning on doing a campaign using the Kiev/Ukraine map for Operation Barbarossa til the fall of Kiev. I'd like to get your opinions on which type of Red plane you'd like to fly for these missions.

The starting date would be around July 9, 1941 when the Germans reached Berdychev. The most common type was the I-16. The I-153 was probably used more in the ground attack role. The MiG-3 and LaGG-3 were used in lesser numbers. The IL-2 was used in larger numbers just before the fall of Kiev. I'll have to check resources but the Pe-3 is also a possibility to fly. Which would you like to see?

Comments, opinions, and suggestions are welcome for discussion.

thefruitbat
02-13-2008, 08:50 AM
At least in the mig you have a chance of running away, even though you will burn to death at some point.

There's something fun about flying the i16 constantly dodging 109's trying to swat you, but whatever plane you are goinng to fly in this timeline, your gonna get a beating. As in real life.

I16 or LaGG for me, can i vote twice?

fruitbat

na85
02-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Weren't there yak-1s in that time period?

GIAP.Shura
02-13-2008, 09:40 AM
No option for "All of the above"?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

A ground pounding I-153 campaign on this map would be a lot of fun and its jinky enough to give you some thrills against the enemy fighters.

JG53Frankyboy
02-13-2008, 09:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
Weren't there yak-1s in that time period? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but propably not in that area.........

anyway, a fighter career with I-16Typ24 changing to MiG-3ud (the MiG-3 is my favorite fighter amnong the soviet early ones http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )
or a groundattack career from I-153 to IL-2.

CzechTexan
02-13-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure about the Yak-1 being in that area although it was in some units on other fronts, in small numbers. I'd like to use more of the older types since they were prevalent at this time.

Voting so far has me thinking about starting with the I-16 and changing to the MiG-3. I also like the idea of ground attack with I-153 which can also be used to counter enemy fighters. I will probably make 2 or 3 short campaigns using different types in each like I did for my Kuban campaigns.

SeaFireLIV
02-13-2008, 10:37 AM
I-16 for me. It`s the little guy with character getting picked on by the bullies.

ElAurens
02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Biplane FTW.

PBNA-Boosher
02-13-2008, 01:26 PM
The IL2. Right now I want to get close to someone and put lots of holes in them. Although the I-16 and I-153 survived ground attacks better statistically, I want to see their faces when a flying bathtub descends on them and ends them.

crucislancer
02-13-2008, 03:04 PM
I voted for the IL-2 as well. I love the firepower of the Sturmovik.

Kurfurst__
02-13-2008, 03:10 PM
I like the Mig the best, despite its downcomings. One of the best, and completely underappriciated high altitude fighters of its time, very elegant lines, too, like a raceplane..

Rammjaeger
02-13-2008, 04:19 PM
AFAIK the LaGG-3 was only used by fighter units in the Leningrad area at the beginning of the war. None were present in the Western military districts.

JSG72
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM
"None of the above"

You'll find that a "Purple Lerche/262/P-47D.

Would be the prefered mount of many a flyer.

Suggest? with sharks teeth? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

na85
02-13-2008, 04:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kurfurst__:
I like the Mig the best, despite its downcomings. One of the best, and completely underappriciated high altitude fighters of its time, very elegant lines, too, like a raceplane.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does it stack up against the 109s of its era? Energy or angles?

JadehawkII
02-13-2008, 05:23 PM
While I voted for the I-16, I wish I could have included the I-153 as well. I love them both about the same really. As stated above, I think a mix of I-16 (fighter ops) and I-153 (ground and emergency fighter Ops) would give a balanced campaign.

Shameful plug here: ya know I just released a new template for the I-153? It's located at Flying Legends and at Simmers paint shop.

CzechTexan
02-13-2008, 07:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
How does it stack up against the 109s of its era? Energy or angles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A major shortcoming of the MiG was the lack of firepower vs the more armored 109s.

VW-IceFire
02-13-2008, 08:22 PM
I voted IL-2 but thats because I'm more of a low altitude mix it up mudmover myself http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV
02-14-2008, 06:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kurfurst__:
I like the Mig the best, despite its downcomings. One of the best, and completely underappriciated high altitude fighters of its time, very elegant lines, too, like a raceplane.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does it stack up against the 109s of its era? Energy or angles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried the Mig recently and what i liked about it was its engine power. It allowed me to actually catch up with 109s and as long as I just kept peppering him he would be fleeing home with trailing smoke, which is often enough. It also climbs very well, but it`s not a great turner, so I guess it`s more an energy fighter. You may even be able to run away in it with good enough height, but dive too steeply and those wings will say goodbye which seriously hampers B & Zing...

Flaps also seem to `lock` much quicker than other planes...

Oh and she lights up easily...