PDA

View Full Version : LCD Monitors - Dell vs. Viewsonic

kajr
06-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Here's some questions for all you LCD monitor gurus. I have been researching flat panels, specifically the Dell 20-in and Viewsonic 20-in monitors. Here's a couple questions:

What is the specification "Image Max V-View Angle" ? The Dell 20-inch says 89-degrees typical, the Viewsonic 20-inch says 170-degrees? Why such a difference between these two similar monitors? Viewsonic is almost double...

What is UXGA? The Dell says Display Type = LCD Display. The ViewSonic says: TFT Active Matrix UXGA LCD. Are these the same, or significantly different?

Model Response Resolution Brightness Contrast Price
Dell 2007FP 16ms 1600x1200 300cd/m2 800:1 $489
Viewsonic VP2030b 8ms 1600x1200 300cd/m2 1000:1 $499

Looks like the Viewsonic is a better deal for flightsimming, by virtue of much quicker response time and better contrast. Does anyone use one of these monitors? What do you think? Is there a better 20-inch LCD (not widescreen) out there?

kajr
06-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Here's some questions for all you LCD monitor gurus. I have been researching flat panels, specifically the Dell 20-in and Viewsonic 20-in monitors. Here's a couple questions:

What is the specification "Image Max V-View Angle" ? The Dell 20-inch says 89-degrees typical, the Viewsonic 20-inch says 170-degrees? Why such a difference between these two similar monitors? Viewsonic is almost double...

What is UXGA? The Dell says Display Type = LCD Display. The ViewSonic says: TFT Active Matrix UXGA LCD. Are these the same, or significantly different?

Model Response Resolution Brightness Contrast Price
Dell 2007FP 16ms 1600x1200 300cd/m2 800:1 $489
Viewsonic VP2030b 8ms 1600x1200 300cd/m2 1000:1 $499

Looks like the Viewsonic is a better deal for flightsimming, by virtue of much quicker response time and better contrast. Does anyone use one of these monitors? What do you think? Is there a better 20-inch LCD (not widescreen) out there?

WOLFMondo
06-07-2006, 06:54 AM
TFT and LCD = Same difference. Theres some technology differences between different TFT's but essentially there both flat panel LCD displays.

Image Max V-View Angle is the angle you can watch the display i.e. at 170 degrees to the right or left you can still see the picture. Its not like a CRT where you can view it at any angle, at certain angles TFT's/LCD's go black and there is nothing to be seen. Its important if you want to use it as a TV in a living room. Lets face it, your gonna be right in front of it so view angle isn't important.

Lower response time is best although when it says 8ms, thats its lowest possible, it will operate most of the time at a higher response time by 8ms is excellent.

My take on it is don't buy either of them. Hyundai make the best gaming TFT's right now, they actually make some with gaming in mind. the colour on them is unsurpased and they do black better than most other flat panels.

IIyama is also another excellent brand and the sort of flat panels people use in the graphics trade.

WWSensei
06-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Which Hyundai model? I ended going with a Dell after going through three Hyundai. The first was DOA, the second had 14 dead pixels and the last worked well, and looked nice but after two weeks failed with lots of vertical lines of multicolor pixels... Had the Dell for over a year with no problems to date, though I'm sure there are better quality ones I have no problem with the quality.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-07-2006, 08:50 AM
I'd definitely spend the extra $10 clams and get the higher contrast ratio and lower response time of the viewsonic. I went from a 19" LCD with 500:1 and 25ms to a 20.1" TFT with 800:1 and 5ms (both Samsung). The older one was also connected with the standard VGA connector and the new one with the DVI connector.

Let me say the improvement in IQ and overall picture is quite large. It would seem like $10 well spent.

TB

WOLFMondo
06-07-2006, 08:51 AM
The last one I got was a L90D+. No problems at all.

Sounds like you got your some time ago though.

horseback
06-07-2006, 10:16 AM
I recently went through the same process myself, and settled with a Viewsonic VA912 for a couple of reasons:

1. It was on sale. I got it for under $200 US (if the rebate check ever comes in; it's been 4 weeks, and the PNY RAM I bought at the same time already sent their rebate check in...).

2. Viewsonic includes a DVI cable, and my video card only has a DVI output. It's better than using a DVI to analog converter, and a new cable would have run me a round another $20.

It runs FB great on my 'secondary' computer, although I find the built-in speakers a bit cheesy (I tried 'em out of curiousity, and went back to my regular 2.1 setup).

I was looking at the VX2025wb for my main gaming computer, but I soon found myself looking at the Gateway 21", which had the potential for doubling as an HDTV monitor. That was eclipsed by the Olevia 26" widescreen TV/monitor, which came with its own tuner, HDTV Monitor capability, and a DVI input for dual use as my computer monitor, for about $20 less than the smaller Gateway.

Sadly, I had to buy my DVI cable, but I got over it, since the Gateway would've needed one too.

cheers

horseback

kajr
06-07-2006, 10:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Olevia 26" widescreen TV/monitor </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now THAT's a monitor. It says resolution of 1366x768. Do you run IL2 on that? With a Viewing Angle 178?(H) / 178?(V), Brightness 800 cd/m2, Contrast Ratio 1600:1 and Response Time 8ms, it seems like a steal.

Can you run IL2 on this? Widescreen?

Its so big I would need a larger desk...

horseback
06-07-2006, 11:09 AM
I had to remove the printer shelf from my desk, but it's much thinner than the 19" CRT it replaced, so there's a lot more useable desk space overall.

For use as a computer monitor, you have to run it at 1280x720, which is still very nicely detailed, and yes, after setting the config file to accept it, it runs IL2 in the full screen beautifully, with a bit of clipping at top & bottom, but the much greater (and BIGGER!) detail makes it a quite acceptable tradeoff IMHO, particularly with TrackIR3.

The ability to use it as a TV (and as an HDTV monitor with the component inputs) when you're not using it as a monitor makes it very affordable, at least from a single male's perspective...

cheers

horseback

woofiedog
06-07-2006, 07:14 PM
I've had my Dell UltraSharp 18in since 2002 and it's still going strong, with no problems at all.

Ernst_Rohr
06-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Samsung also makes some very nice LCD's. I did the same evaluation, and after looking at a lot of the different ones, I went with the Samsung SyncMaster 930B 19".

I run the Dell at work, and its a decent monitor, but you definately want the fastest response time you can get when it comes to gaming and video.