PDA

View Full Version : Help atacking AA guns

SergioRoadster
06-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Just to clear a doubt.
In the training films the only reference how to attack anti-aircraft guns is using a "shallow angle", english is not my native language, so does that mean flying low towards the battery like in this image? I've tried that about 20 meters height and maximum speed possible but is kind of hard and even so I get some hits.
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/963/graphic1ib7.jpg

SergioRoadster
06-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Just to clear a doubt.
In the training films the only reference how to attack anti-aircraft guns is using a "shallow angle", english is not my native language, so does that mean flying low towards the battery like in this image? I've tried that about 20 meters height and maximum speed possible but is kind of hard and even so I get some hits.
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/963/graphic1ib7.jpg

LStarosta
06-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Depends on what kind of gun.

Large caliber guns like the German 88mm are definitely best attacked at low altitude, but you can definitely get away with an altitude of higher than 20 meters. These big guns will have a really hard time tracking you at low altitudes, bout you still want to stick with the hit and run type of tactics if you really want to survive.

Smaller caliber high rate of fire cannons such as 20mm guns are a bit trickier to take out due to their higher rate of fire and greater muzzle velocity which allows it to track you at low altitude significantly better. The bright side is that these guns have a very limited range. The German 20mm flak guns tend cut out at altitudes over 2200m or so.

Either way, against these targets, I suggest the use of rockets and/or bombs rather than onboard guns. Practice nailing 88's at low level with a bomb set to 2 seconds delay. If you're flying Russian junk, specifically the Il-2, the AJ-2 cassettes ( a type of cluster bomb weapon ) are KILLERS over a very large surface area. They're excellent in taking out batteries or columns with AAA or anything else.

If you're flying German, try the general purpose SC bombs, but also experiment with dropping AB cluster bombs from an altitude. I've had luck nailing AAA and anything else in the vicinity of where I dropped it, such as spawning aircraft.

Trying to nail fast firing AAA with onboard guns is trickier since you need a steady hand (machine guns need a long steady stream to do damage, and cannons recoil a lot making it difficult to place a lot of shots on a tiny target) and you're flying a very predictable path for gunners and enemy aircraft. Unfortunately, this is not like real life where you could have maimed a gun crew or put catastrophic dents in a gun to disable it simply by strafing. Use munitions when you can and you will be rewarded.

major_setback
06-09-2007, 06:21 PM
What I do, and it sometimes works http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif:

Low level and slow, weave a bit by using the rudder/ailerons so they can't track you so easily, use the gunsight view zoomed in so you can se close up what you are shooting at, flaps down to 'take off' if you're slow enough, (otherwise 'combat flaps'), still weaving around, shoot only when the cross hairs of your sight are exactly on the target or you wont destroy it, use several shots on each pass. Cannon shots of course!

One shot at a time, then weave, another, then weave again.

By 'weave' I mean vary your course very slightly using combined control imputs.

Zeus-cat
06-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Attack the gun when it is firing at someone else. The "gun crews" get target fixation just like we do and won't switch targets and fire at you until the other target is beyond a certain range.

Personally, I prefer a higher angle of attack so that you can dive and keep more speed. I wait to fire until the last second and then pull away and stay low and fast.

DKoor
06-09-2007, 06:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
Attack the gun when it is firing at someone else. The "gun crews" get target fixation just like we do and won't switch targets and fire at you until the other target is beyond a certain range. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is the winning tactic. Attacking while AA is targeting other ac.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SergioRoadster:
Help atacking AA guns </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing really is more effective.
because you'll get killed eventually employing any other tactic if they shoot at you.

The best of it all... when you are leader, just make sure you be the first to attack the AA, or better is to say pretend that'll you attack it... they will all, without exception target you.

And if you really proceed with your attack you'll get it, so it's not worth really.
Instead just change course and let the suckers shoot at you while you order yer mates to bust them.
Repeat until area is cleared.

Believe me that way you can get all enemy AF cleared from AA without single dead friendly ac.

As I don't like my Ai friends to get butchered by AA.
When one or two (preferably 88mms) left well... join the party http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

This is so effective that you'll feel like cheating.

I just employed it Vs AF that has 4x20mm AA on every end of the runway that means staggering 8x20mm shooting at you!
Almost impossible to get away with little damage... meaning you'll die 9/10 times so it's not worth attacking head on.
I corrected my course to fly by as I ordered rest of the Sturmoviks to get them... really amusing they all one by one slowly proceeded with their attack path taking out AAs one by one while AA guns were shooting at me.

96th_Nightshifter
06-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Check out Dart's instructional videos Here (http://www.darts-page.com/).

M2morris
06-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Sry I have been slamming a few too-many rolling rocks tonite, but here is my opinion on attacking AAA guns:
There is no techical bull-oney that I have ever used, as far as angle degrees and all that **** goes, I have never used it..

It's a gun-fight.

You have to bob and weave and as you close-in you kill him before he can get YOU.
You have to do a continued S turn as you close in, kinda like a cork-screw and then shoot him at the last second.
And if he gats you, you crash-land jump out of your plane, run and pull your bayonet and go find that scumbag who shot you down and scramble his fookin brains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC54a4rlwDo

Chris0382
06-10-2007, 07:14 AM
If you have a bullet handy I find it best to bite on it and head right into the AA guns giving it all you got. Make sure the bullet isnt live.

general_kalle
06-10-2007, 02:57 PM
attacking AA guns that are firing on you is dangerous because when you are aiming in it. it means you are flying right towards it.
the gun crew only have to point the gun on the plane and fire.

theres absolutly no need to make any deflektion.
avoid attacking light AA if its shooting on you.
just dont do it

M2morris
06-10-2007, 05:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by general_kalle:
attacking AA guns that are firing on you is dangerous because when you are aiming in it. it means you are flying right towards it.
the gun crew only have to point the gun on the plane and fire.

theres absolutly no need to make any deflektion.
avoid attacking light AA if its shooting on you.
just dont do it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah my video is reckless, and it would not be feasible to do what I did in that corsair, but what if you were tasked with taking out those mobile ripp-you-up-at-low-level machine gun AAA vehicles as part of a mission plan. Would you use high alt bombers or Naval guns? Good luck. You would need troops on the ground to do it. Your thoughts?

VW-IceFire
06-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Its best to get the AA gun to shoot at someone else and then you shoot at it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

M2morris
06-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Hers's how you get one of those pesky little turdbag wirblwinds:
Catch one of them taking a break on the beach and then skip a 2000 pound bomb into their side for a direct-hit.
Allow me to demonstrate:

Ahem

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/planegeek/?actio...current=AAAvsF4U.flv (http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/planegeek/?action=view&current=AAAvsF4U.flv)

Roblex
06-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Come in from high up in a curving path
Aim 30m in front of the gun
Start shooting and start pulling up to walk the bullets onto the target.

At no point fly in a straight line either vertically or horizontally. They are pretty bad at tracking if you are not flying straight. You might take a chance on the gun being busy looking the wrong way but what about the others nearby?

msalama
06-11-2007, 11:27 AM
If you're attacking a column of Sd.Kfzs and/or other light armored vehicles:

Just as Morris said, corkscrew your way down like a mofo (and go in from the side). Take the first halftrack out, and KEEP ON CORKSCREWING on your way out, too, so that the others won't get you. Extend far out enough and rinse & repeat as needed.

Works particularly well w/ IL-2s (or IL-10s) loaded w/ rockets and bombs I've found.

PS / EDIT: will make a track one of these days so you'll see what I mean. S!

SergioRoadster
07-01-2007, 12:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M2morris:
You have to bob and weave and as you close-in you kill him before he can get YOU.
You have to do a continued S turn as you close in, kinda like a cork-screw and then shoot him at the last second.
And if he gats you, you crash-land jump out of your plane, run and pull your bayonet and go find that scumbag who shot you down and scramble his fookin brains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC54a4rlwDo
03:17 "that lucky som*****"

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AHAHAH nice flying and comments.

Thank you all for the help.