PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen pics of the Hurri raised from a Russian lake?

Chuck_Older
06-15-2005, 10:01 AM
A Hurricane given to the VVS was recovered from a lake recently, and was featured in the latest Warbirds International. Very good condition, all considered. Aircraft still had four unfired rockets under the wings http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

The engine is in incredibly good outward appearance. Simply looks almost new. Cockpit is a ruin, though

Starngely, the Rolls-Royce placard is in almost perfect shape, but as pointed out by the article, there is clearly no hyphen between "Rolls" and "Royce". It reads "Rolls Royce", which according to Rolls-Royce, wasn't done. This isn't a clever reproduction, this is the real thing, though. Very odd

Chuck_Older
06-15-2005, 10:01 AM
A Hurricane given to the VVS was recovered from a lake recently, and was featured in the latest Warbirds International. Very good condition, all considered. Aircraft still had four unfired rockets under the wings http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

The engine is in incredibly good outward appearance. Simply looks almost new. Cockpit is a ruin, though

Starngely, the Rolls-Royce placard is in almost perfect shape, but as pointed out by the article, there is clearly no hyphen between "Rolls" and "Royce". It reads "Rolls Royce", which according to Rolls-Royce, wasn't done. This isn't a clever reproduction, this is the real thing, though. Very odd

Hydra444
06-15-2005, 10:05 AM
How recently did this happen?It seems I remember someone mentioning this before a month or so ago.But I may be mistaken,as i think that might have been a P-39 that was talked about.

Chuck_Older
06-15-2005, 10:10 AM
I'd have to check

Taylortony
06-15-2005, 10:42 AM
was in flypast months ago there was even pics showing the crease in the couwls from the round that hit it, could dig em up i supose

PBNA-Boosher
06-15-2005, 12:11 PM
That's a lot of stuff we've been finding in water recently:
P-39
B-239
P-40
Bf-109

all of the planes we've found that were underwater have been in good condition too. We possibly have found a new way to recover and restore old warbirds.

new-fherathras
06-15-2005, 12:43 PM
didnt they find a he-111 in a norwegian fjord recently aswell?

-HH-Dubbo
06-15-2005, 01:20 PM
I thought it was Ju-88. Either way that was a great find too.

Cragger
06-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Their in 'good' condition because they didn't burn up being underwater and they become covered with silt after a time which ******s corrosion as well as being in still water they remain undisturbed. Their not in 'great' condition and still have massive amounts of corrosion due to being in water so long which must be removed/repaired and may be impossible to repair to the point of airworthy.

The best ones where the P-38 and the B-29 that became entraped in ice, very little corrosion and totally undisturbed.

Hydra444
06-15-2005, 01:38 PM
A p-47 was also recently discovered in water as well.Someone around here posted a link talkin about it.